HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Hadn't thought about it before, but Musk is tacitly suggesting that the yoke is better for F$D but nothing about people using the truck without F$D. Sort of a sideways admission that they are primarily designing for F$D and things might be less than optimum if you are not opting into the Full $elf Drive experience.
Can you show me where Musk has ever even hinted that the yoke is less than optimum for hands-on driving? I've never heard him suggest that at all, in fact, he has suggested the opposite.

Elon saying he thinks a yoke especially excels at FSD does not imply he thinks it's inferior to a traditional steering wheel for hands-on driving. That's demonstrating really odd logic to conclude that it does.

The notable thing isn't so much that you need to spend up for the best, it's that they are willing to make the base experience a little less good to improve the FSD experience.

So pony up if you want the best Tesla experience folks.
I disagree that's what this is about or that Elon has said anything to that effect. I'm not sure how you can draw such a silly conclusion from Elon's comments. :unsure:
Sponsored

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
The Cybertruck was demoed with the yoke. Tesla is shipping vehicles with yokes.

Unless some government regulation forces them to or there is a huge groundswell of frustration from Tesla drivers, the yoke is coming for Cybertruck.
Yeah, it was just a few months ago that people acting like they knew vehicle requirements, claimed that a yoke would not be street legal without special approval. They yelled and screamed that it didn't conform to vehicle codes. But, when asked to support their claims with actual facts, they were strangely silent.

But they insisted they didn't give good enough control, that people would crash because of them, that round wheels were better because that's how it's always been done.

But Formula 1 cars can use any shape steering wheel the driver wants. Care to guess what they look like? Yeah, they are yokes:

formula 1 steering wheel - Google Search

I say, bring 'em on! I will love a yoke in my new Cybertruck. Those who want a round wheel can buy a truck that comes with a round wheel - most trucks do so it shouldn't be a problem finding a suitable one. :LOL: That's the beauty of having more trucks to chose from, they are all a little different in different ways. If none of the offerings suit you, pick the one that's the closest and modify it to suit.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
But Formula 1 cars can use any shape steering wheel the driver wants. Care to guess what they look like? Yeah, they are yokes:

formula 1 steering wheel - Google Search
That's an argument I've heard before and frankly it's quite silly, they are shaped that way because large steering angles are practically never required. Hand over hand turning is not something they are concerned about, you are not going to be doing 3-point turns or parallel parking in an F1 car.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
tomorrow I’ll post pictures of our model 3 fender after a model S owner used self parking next to it. Just say no.
What does an incident three years ago say to the tech next year?

...because there were cheaper alternatives.
TCO has always been really good for Apple stuff since OSX 2.2, tho; even when their up front didn't match.

-Crissa

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I can't hate something I haven't tried. I do have a healthy amount of skepticism.

Apple tried doing simulated buttons using haptic feedback and it felt pretty decent, but it never quite felt like a button.

That is one of the reasons I'm pretty skeptical about buttons that aren't actually buttons. Apple replaced their function key row with a row of virtual buttons I've tried for a long time get used to them. Ultimately it's just a glass panel and you have to look down at them every single time to hit the right spot.
I agree. Until I can't tell the difference between a "virtual" button and an actual one, it's going to be a tough sell.

msdg137

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Wrangler Ecodiesel
Occupation
You make it I break it
Country flag
The yolk would be great with progressive power steering especially if you never had to go more than 90 degrees left or right. However depending on the steering ratio a yolk may pose an issue backing up trailers while looking backwards at trees, boat, ramps, idiot spotters waving like mad etc. Most people will look back and hold the top of a wheel.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The yolk would be great with progressive power steering especially if you never had to go more than 90 degrees left or right. However depending on the steering ratio a yolk may pose an issue backing up trailers while looking backwards at trees, boat, ramps, idiot spotters waving like mad etc. Most people will look back and hold the top of a wheel.
Backing up will be a lot different in the Cybertruck.

First, lookin over your shoulder is going to be completely worthless. You are lower than you sit on a normal truck so the bed occludes most everything on the ground and the sail pillars occlude everything to the sides. So you use the backup cameras. There is also supposed to be some kind of trailer assist.

Second, you have rear wheel steering now. This means the back of your truck actually turns as opposed to having to turn the front of the car. It should mean far less steering input is needed to make the hitch ball go where you want. Instead of moving the front of your truck sideways 5 feet to get your ball 3" over, your back wheels will turn and it will just go there.

So... yoke (yolk is a yellow, round, and tasty breakfast food) should be fine for reversing.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
One "solution" to the yoke is a Brodie knob a.k.a. Necker, suicide knob, granny knob. Like this...

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla’s Elon Musk highlights Cybertruck’s uniqueness, explains adoption of yoke Brodie

Since they are really just knobs with threads and a clamp, they are totally customizable. Some examples I've recently seen are a pin-up girl (so you put your hand on it everytime, har har) to a Star Wars Death Star to a spider encased in epoxy.

I don't think I would go so far as to put one one; but, I would seriously consider an after-market steering wheel mod if it was like-for-like.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
One "solution" to the yoke is a Brodie knob a.k.a. Necker, suicide knob, granny knob. Like this...

Brodie.jpg

Since they are really just knobs with threads and a clamp, they are totally customizable. Some examples I've recently seen are a pin-up girl (so you put your hand on it everytime, har har) to a Star Wars Death Star to a spider encased in epoxy.

I don't think I would go so far as to put one one; but, I would seriously consider an after-market steering wheel mod if it was like-for-like.
I don't want a granny one. And one with tits.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
That's an argument I've heard before and frankly it's quite silly, they are shaped that way because large steering angles are practically never required. Hand over hand turning is not something they are concerned about, you are not going to be doing 3-point turns or parallel parking in an F1 car.
I do a hand over hand turn extremely rarely.....extremely....like I don't recall when....and race tracks do have some serious turns in them... unless you mean drag strips.