John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Just this:

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 8.48.25 AM.png

The yoke is a featureless black surface, nothing to feel, you have to either memorize the locations or look at the wheel.

Actual buttons you can feel with your thumbs, something where you can just slide your thumb over, feel the center button and press up/ down/ middle/ right without looking down. I actually think most modern steering wheels like this one have too many controls, but it seems like Tesla goes too far the other way.
OK Buck Rogers ?

No arguments. I enjoy bleeding edge tech. I also get annoyed if tech features are poorly thought out for real world use. I too am taking a wait and see approach before passing judgement when I have the yoke in my hands.

The wheel allows for many hand positions away from the buttons. The yoke, in theory, has hands i. The correct positions at all times. In practice, my knee is used more often.
Sponsored

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yoke seems like it would be awful for difficult parking, backing up trailers, etc. But totally amazing for FSD situations.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yoke seems like it would be awful for difficult parking, backing up trailers, etc. But totally amazing for FSD situations.
This is where I think it gets weird. They've made it worse for non-FSD so they could make it marginally better for FSD.

As for parking I think you are supposed to let FSD do it. Autosummon and auto park.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Is there anything new in this article? Seems like its just summing up a bunch of known stuff. If there is a new tweet or event where Musk said some of this, the lack of a link is frustrating.

Hadn't thought about it before, but Musk is tacitly suggesting that the yoke is better for F$D but nothing about people using the truck without F$D. Sort of a sideways admission that they are primarily designing for F$D and things might be less than optimum if you are not opting into the Full $elf Drive experience.

The notable thing isn't so much that you need to spend up for the best, it's that they are willing to make the base experience a little less good to improve the FSD experience.

So pony up if you want the best Tesla experience folks.
FSD will be the default mode for all vehicles at some point in the near future. Also, if CT has steering-by-wire then a big wheel is not needed because there is less wheel/yoke rotation for the same net vehicle turning, I’m guessing. So not a big issue in my mind. Tho we shall see when I actually “get behind the yoke”. LOL!

Last edited:

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
For people who drive multiple vehicles at home or work needing to train muscle memory is extra stress or might contribute to mistakes when switching between vehicles.

Even if Tesla had 100% working FSD this minute, there are still last mile or last 50 miles of roads that FSD may never handle. FSD will probably never be adequate for off-roading & over-landing, which one of the significant feature capability of Cybertruck.
When off-roading you are going slow and inputs to the wheel are small, so a yoke might actually be better in that circumstance.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
This is where I think it gets weird. They've made it worse for non-FSD so they could make it marginally better for FSD.

As for parking I think you are supposed to let FSD do it. Autosummon and auto park.
LOL, it seems like you & I are debating each other a lot today. That is not my intention. :)
I bought a Pacifica last November that has "parking assist". I tried it out, to see how worked, and have NEVER used it since.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
LOL, it seems like you & I are debating each other a lot today. That is not my intention. :)
I bought a Pacifica last November that has "parking assist". I tried it out, to see how worked, and have NEVER used it since.
Me? I wasn't suggesting auto park was da shiz. I was just trying to channel the "True Tesla Way".

Tesla: It's ok if the yoke sucks for parking, just use FSD to do it for you.

Me: I don't want to spend $10k to park my car...

Tesla: But FSD is useful for so many reasons. You could subscribe for just $199/ month!

Me: Can I at least have a blinker stalk I can hit easily?

Tesla: Look at the sleek featureless top to the yoke, isn't it beautiful?

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Me? I wasn't suggesting auto park was da shiz. I was just trying to channel the "True Tesla Way".

Tesla: It's ok if the yoke sucks for parking, just use FSD to do it for you.

Me: I don't want to spend $10k to park my car...

Tesla: But FSD is useful for so many reasons. You could subscribe for just $199/ month!

Me: Can I at least have a blinker stalk I can hit easily?

Tesla: Look at the sleek featureless top to the yoke, isn't it beautiful?
Current Model S owners please chime in.

I took a test drive in Jacksonville, FL in an MS just before the reveal and was so not impressed with the self-parking mode, honestly, I could do it quicker and better myself and without the stress factor.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Would love to have some input from a plaid owner.

I suspect by the time Cybertruck ships the state of summon and auto park will be a lot better than now. Even Musk called the current state a toy.

I’m not saying it’ll be great. Just better.

I am kind of wondering though what it will be like going to a concert or big event and having 500 people come out at the same time and hit summon.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag

I took a test drive in Jacksonville, FL in an MS just before the reveal and was so not impressed with the self-parking mode, honestly, I could do it quicker and better myself and without the stress factor.
tomorrow I’ll post pictures of our model 3 fender after a model S owner used self parking next to it. Just say no.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
People love to quote Steve Jobs, but what people want to brush under the carpet is the fact that Apple had a fair number of dud products which customers bought and paid for. Also, a lot of their products and decisions are software based which can be remedied by a patch. You can't send out a software update to fix missing stalks.

iu-3.jpeg

Love Apple, and I've dodged most of their goofy products, but I do have several (now abandoned) overpriced but great sounding HomePods. I also have the frustrating MacBook Pro keyboard.

But I don't want to spend $50-70,000 on Tesla's equivalent to the Apple HiFi. Nor to I want controls people hate as passionately as the MacBook Pro keyboard of recent years.
Fair points. I personally have neve owned anything Apple for some of those reasons but mainly because there were cheaper alternatives.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
I am kind of wondering though what it will be like going to a concert or big event and having 500 people come out at the same time and hit summon.
OMG I have not thought about that that yet lol. An army of autonomous vehicles trying to navigate through a sea of people walking to their cars. It hurts my brain to even think about it.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Just this:

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 8.48.25 AM.png

The yoke is a featureless black surface, nothing to feel, you have to either memorize the locations or look at the wheel.

Actual buttons you can feel with your thumbs, something where you can just slide your thumb over, feel the center button and press up/ down/ middle/ right without looking down. I actually think most modern steering wheels like this one have too many controls, but it seems like Tesla goes too far the other way.
I just replaced the buttons on my steering wheel on my '15 S85D. I use the heck out of them. If they can somehow create realistic haptic feedback where I don't need to look down at the steering device to know that I'm pressing the correct "button", I'm all for a button-less interface. If the CT has steer by wire, using the yoke might not be as bad, if implemented properly. (if you hate the look of the yoke, check out the travesty in this article!) https://electrek.co/2020/10/12/tesla-steer-by-wire-motor-geartrain-team-austin/

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I just replaced the buttons on my steering wheel on my '15 S85D. I use the heck out of them. If they can somehow create realistic haptic feedback where I don't need to look down at the steering device to know that I'm pressing the correct "button", I'm all for a button-less interface. If the CT has steer by wire, using the yoke might not be as bad, if implemented properly. (if you hate the look of the yoke, check out the travesty in this article!) https://electrek.co/2020/10/12/tesla-steer-by-wire-motor-geartrain-team-austin/
I can't hate something I haven't tried. I do have a healthy amount of skepticism.

Apple tried doing simulated buttons using haptic feedback and it felt pretty decent, but it never quite felt like a button.

That is one of the reasons I'm pretty skeptical about buttons that aren't actually buttons. Apple replaced their function key row with a row of virtual buttons I've tried for a long time get used to them. Ultimately it's just a glass panel and you have to look down at them every single time to hit the right spot.
Sponsored