Tesla gets patent for LASER wipers.....

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Just give me conventional wipers.
I saw a lot of stuff in the military that was a good idea in theory but useless in practical application.
Just something else that could go wrong and cost a fortune to repair or replace.
Remember KISS.
How about the Love Bug seasons, that would be a great test. I have seen many trucks covered in a black writhing layer of Love Bug corpses in the spring and fall.
Sponsored

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Throw me a bone here people, All I want is a Frikn' Cybertruck with Frikn' lazers on it. Is that too much to ask? I'm guessing if lasers are installed, they will only be secondary to conventional wipers. Tesla is always about safety.
Well, they can be used to kill weeds in the farmer's fields, the applications are endless. Now, how about those pesky thugs that want to block the interstate with their Protest de Jour.

Last edited:

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
How about the Love Bug seasons, that would be a great test. I have seen many trucks covered in a black writhing layer of Love Bug corpses in the spring and fall.
Hit the nail on the head.
When I hauled HAZMAT I ran a route in Florida twice a month.
We had screens behind the grill to keep the little buggers from getting into the radiator core.
When you hit a swarm of them you better have a squeegee and extra wiper fluid with you because they can coat a windshield with bug guts very fast.
If it was a heavy swarm I would end up stopping at a truckstop and taking the screen out and giving it a good washing to keep the engine from overheating.
As long as you had plenty of wiper fluid and stayed ahead of the slime with the wipers you could keep rolling depending on how thick they were.
I assume there are other regions of the country that have similar insect issues.
Since this is a concept and no official word has come from Tesla I hope they go old school with a basic wiper system.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Maybe it will be a game you can play while you SuperCharge: Real world Missile Command. :ROFLMAO: Seriously though, IF it is viable, safe and effective....why not? Of course, applying for a patent doesn't necessarily mean it will ever see the light of day, but we can dream, right?

Sandybayes1

First Name
Sandra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
i can't imagine traveling 70 miles per hour in a downpour!
Laser windshield wipers sounds pretty cool to me though.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Or pacific coast seagulls......
There goes, I'll shoot 'em before they can land on may hood, roof and side view mirror to deposit their poop.

I'll can now use my famous Yosemite Sam: Take that varmin'!

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
This is a much more interesting idea. If the window is hydrophobic, combined with the slope, it might just slough off water? Then just eliminating the debris would be the only thing you need a wiper for.
That is an interesting idea, and I have actually tried it with aquapel coating on the back window of my Volt. It is better than nothing, but I would still prefer to have a wiper there.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That is an interesting idea, and I have actually tried it with aquapel coating on the back window of my Volt. It is better than nothing, but I would still prefer to have a wiper there.
I thought rear windows were relatively dead air zones so the rain wouldn't bead up and blow off the way it does on the front.

No-mo-ice

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Occupation
Aerospace Engineering
Country flag
How about mid flung up in the window? I know a few days after I get mine I will adorned with some mud.
Sponsored