Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model P3D+, F150. Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag
SUPPLY CHAIN ISSUES
North Carolina went to great lengths to try to land “Project New World,” as the deal was known. Cooper, Copeland and other state officials traveled more than once to Japan after Toyota and Mazda announced last August they wanted to put a facility in the U.S. Toyota-Mazda representatives also visited this state. North Carolina was soon on a short list of 11 states that was then narrowed to just two.

Copeland said the companies quickly focused on the Randolph County megasite near Greensboro as the best location in North Carolina.

Randolph County has nearly 1,900 acres set aside but it lacks the proximity to the supply chain that the car companies need. Huntsville on the other hand, is central to a multistate corridor of automotive manufacturing and supplying, and home to a Toyota engine factory. Alabama employs some 57,000 people in the automotive industry and is the site of three other auto assembly plants: Mercedes-Benz, Honda and Hyundai.

Toyota-Mazda say they will hire 4,000 workers and invest $1.6 billion at the plant over several years. They plan to use the new plant to make 300,000 Toyota Corollas and Mazda crossovers a year, using the Corolla frame to build electric cars.

Copeland said North Carolina knew from the beginning the supply chain would be a challenge but thought that because the companies were building electric vehicles it would not be as reliant on its old supply chain. Copeland said the thinking was that new supply chains would develop here to support the new technology Toyota needed. The Triangle’s strong tech industry and research universities also were seen as a plus.

Copeland said North Carolina shouldn’t be discouraged from continuing to pursue a major auto manufacturer, even though one has eluded it for many years. He said the process with Toyota-Mazda, though disappointing, puts the state in a better position for future competition in the global marketplace.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article194037469.html#storylink=cpy
Sponsored

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag
It also close to the Burlington SC.. Topping off my first Tesla. Student's from the West Wilkes High School on the way to meet up with other teams from VA, ,NC, and FL. to compete in EV car's and pickup's they had built... The girl drove the Miata and the guy an S10. The Miata had Leaf bats. The S10 12V acid.

Tesla Cybertruck Musk teases Giga Texas factory - for Cybertruck production? IMG_1673

boley

First Name
Boley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier Crew Cab
Country flag
I had a happy thought yesterday about the possibility of the CyberTruck factory being built in nearby Texas. If the deliveries are by region(gulf coast) and then reservation number, maybe I'll get mine next year after all. Fingers crossed.

TintDepot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Reservation
Occupation
Solar Tint Distributor along with Vinyl Wrap, PPF & tint tools
Country flag
U of TX has Goodenough & team there. So that is a big plus. And with SpaceX building rockets in TX (Boca Chica) there is that too.
I would assume it might be in a town outside Austin since congestion is so bad in Austin, TX.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
If they build a new factory for Cybertruck (anywhere, including Texas) does that mean no Cybertruck until that factory is complete?

USA factory build times will match Giga Germany much more closely than Giga China.

They better get building soon, I want my Cybertruck! :p

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
If they build a new factory for Cybertruck (anywhere, including Texas) does that mean no Cybertruck until that factory is complete?

USA factory build times will match Giga Germany much more closely than Giga China.

They better get building soon, I want my Cybertruck! :p
TESLA has gotten pretty good at building factories quick. They have plenty of time. hardest part will be selecting a site a getting proper approval.

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
TESLA has gotten pretty good at building factories quick. They have plenty of time. hardest part will be selecting a site a getting proper approval.
The hardest part will be selecting a site and getting proper approval? Maybe. But there are millions of acres of appropriate sites inside the triangle between SA, Dallas, and Houston. Also there are millions of acres of appropriate sites outside that triangle. I think the building is something like 107 acres? Up and down I-10, I-35, I45 and many other highways--all full of nice sites. The F1 track was so easy and cheap. By the landfill outside Austin.

They can pick up a primo site for $2-$15 million. Anywhere between Austin and San Antonio would be best.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
The hardest part will be selecting a site and getting proper approval? Maybe. But there are millions of acres of appropriate sites inside the triangle between SA, Dallas, and Houston. Also there are millions of acres of appropriate sites outside that triangle. I think the building is something like 107 acres? Up and down I-10, I-35, I45 and many other highways--all full of nice sites. The F1 track was so easy and cheap. By the landfill outside Austin.

They can pick up a primo site for $2-$15 million. Anywhere between Austin and San Antonio would be best.
I didnt mean they will have a hard time finding land, tons of land in the Texas area. I meant selecting a site that will work best for there needs, purchasing the site. Then going through the process of getting the building permitted for construction. Unfortunately this process can take months even for a simple building. These are government entities Tesla will be dealing with. If the area they want to build doesnt stand behind Tesla's goal they will stall them intentionally, iv seen it done. They can hold up a building permit for years. But this is not something specific to Texas, the process is probably still easier than building anything in California.

Either way its not that big of a deal, i was just trying to emphasize how quickly Tesla can build a factory.

Having said that they i hope the area they choose is fully invested in what the factory will do for the economy, having Houstons massive port located close by could be a huge benefit.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
"I sure North Carolina, South Carolina , Ga. and (Lower Alabama) are also courting Tesla.. "
We already have Kia, Hyundai, Mercedes and Honda building vehicles here. We also have a lot of factories making auto related parts and products. And Ga and Tn build vehicles right across the state line. We have plenty of Interstates and rail service available at our "Megasites". A Megasite is a thousand acres or more that has already been set aside and improved to attract industry to the state. Huntsville would be a good candidate due to NASA and the Space and Rocket Center. We have several large steel mills close to Huntsville and there are several tire manufacturing plants in or close to Huntsville. We still have Alternative Energy credit programs too. We tried to bring in the wind farms but the environmental whackos came out against them because they killed birds and someone was actually going to make money producing green energy. There are several solar power farms near Huntsville and two companies that build large scale solar power systems. Maybe Mr. Musk will look our way.

Alpeyev

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe Cybertruck, Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
I think San Marcos is the best place. Or Buda. Or Kyle. Draw from Austin and San Antonio. Close to F1 track or 130 tollroad. Maybe Lockhart.

Giga Buda has a ring to it.
Live in Kyle. Sounds like a great idea!

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I can assure you that the choice will depend on what state will allow Tesla to build the assembly plant in the shortest possible timeframe. This is paramount with the billions of dollars of revenue just waiting in pre-orders.
Sponsored