OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
They haven't specced anything public about the front end. We don't even know if it'll have a casting at all!

We just have back of the napkin, educated guesses. And that's all an engineer who isn't on the team would have, too.

-Crissa
I agree, we don't know but trying to make educated guess based on what info is available.

One data point is the new Model Y from Austin is supposed to have front-end casting.
Sponsored

Dave Lyon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Occupation
entrepreneur
Country flag
--------------

Cybertruck front casting might need 8-ton casting press instead of 6-ton.

Cybertruck might need stronger front casting than is used on cars because of

------------------------------

The "beefyness" of the casting does not really dictate the size of the machine. It's really more about the surface area of the parting line on the mold. The larger the surface area, the more hydraulic forces are trying to open the mold during injection.

So, assuming the parting line of the mold is the same, then the clamp pressure of the machine can be the same.

Edit;

I see I'm a little late on this. Before I get accused of back of the napkin math, remember I spoke in generalities, and I design and build molds for the automotive industry in the tool shop that I own.

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
The CT2 is as fast or faster than this Raptor. The CT4 will hit 130MPH on the dry lake bed.
What is 0-60 and can I afford the insurance when I will mostly be in 405 traffic having ZERO speed fun?

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Good news is you can put it on Autopilot and let the car deal with the traffics.
FSD for me, I want the truck to find my exit.

I may punt FSD if this is the only way I can stomach paying for 4 motor variant. Hope I can add solar aftermarket too if the option is outrageous.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
It's also 6k ton (6000ton) and 8k ton (8000ton) presses. Thats 1000x more so at least get the numbers right if you want to talk about it to get the proportions.

The pressure rating has little to do with the cast volume or strength of the part being made, rather only the total cast area that can be done at once.

Imagine the pressure required to make a cannon ball versus a flat plate of the same volume. The cannon ball will be a "stronger" part than the plate against deformation, but the plate will also have a significant amount more area requiring much more press force to mold.

As for "structual" elements these rely heavily on the part geometry and the ability of the vehicle suspension to retard the acceleration forces experienced by the vehicle from the change in momentum. If done right the dynamic load experienced by the cast itself could become trivial and as such the casting wouldn't need to be "beefy" at all to avoid plastic deformation. Making things "more rigid" in high dynamic load applications typically leads to premature failure and fracturing of metal parts. Better off "going with the flow" and designing systems to reduce dynamic shock by using something that dilates force over time. (Like a airbag or spring) That will lead to a smaller, lighter and cheaper solution with greater reliability and performance.

The pressure rating (ktons) of the press has nothing to do with the above, except that it produces parts, that hold the parts of the suspension that takes most of the dynamic load. Alternatively feel free to weld your vehicle suspension rigidly to your car and take it for a spin and see how long it lasts.

With mounting tools (snowplow etc) on the front of the CT, these will likely require a sub frame that attaches to the front cast, or structural pack frame, so it does not reduce the function of the front crumple zones.

As for being a "dumb thread", I consider every thread useful if you can learn something from it. Often you just don't learn much about the thread topic! :)

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't know if 'a real truck' needs to plow, just that some segment definitely does.

-Crissa
No… it’s an absolutely requirement that every truck be able to plough snow for 500 miles in -50 degree weather while towing a 35’ trailer home with a roof top tent and lumber rack at 75MPH going uphill the entire time. Also, the dog should be comfortable in the bed so full HVAC. It’s totally Ok if you have to drop the trailer off to take the truck out on the lake for a couple hour break before finishing the trip.

I’ve been assured that this is in fact a requirement of every truck ever and if the Cybertruck fails to meet a single one of these criteria… it is NOT A REAL TRUCK.

/s (just in case there is any doubt)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I mock, but I do genuinely hope you guys get your plough.

But which is more important. Plough or Midgate? I you had to choose one which would it be?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I mock, but I do genuinely hope you guys get your plough.

But which is more important. Plough or Midgate? I you had to choose one which would it be?
Plough is more important for the truck's success, overall more trucks use winches and ploughs.

Even though a midgate I would use and a winch or plough I would not.

-Crissa
Sponsored