John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Design is cool, rugged and awesome. The son has good taste. ?

Other than that, aligned with most of the video’s assertions.

Reactions: Geo

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I don't know about everyone else, but this is a huge reason I put a reservation for my CB.
That is exactly one of the reasons I did it too. This thing can and will happen only in America, and I want that exclusive cool factor to remain.

YeahYeahYeah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tundra(sold),02 Subaru Outback,1967 Fastback
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I agree with most of what he says, but he misses one of the biggest reasons to buy a Cybertrk.

from the first day it begins paying for itself !!!!!!!!!! I have driven approximately 100,000 miles in a truck in just the last 4 years (that's $20,000)

with the solar option it can even be independent of electric grid. It's not ugly either, it's new and different.

OC Farm Boy

First Name
Derwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus IS350C, Chevy Avalanche, Jeep Wrangler, Kubota 3301 Tractor
Occupation
Retired from corporate world and now building up a small homestead farm
Country flag
When I first saw it, I didn’t say it was ugly. I said, Wow, That is different and unexpected. I keep being told how ugly it is from everyone including my wife and stepdaughter. Hasn’t phased me a bit, as I see the beauty in the fit, function, and versatility that none of the other manufacturers are willing to strive for. I was told my Chevy Avalanche was ugly when I got it but again it was the most versatile vehicle out there when it came out. Still love it today and know the CT is a game changer that that the rest will probably never be able to catch up to.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
from the first day it begins paying for itself !!!!!!!!!! I have driven approximately 100,000 miles in a truck in just the last 4 years (that's $20,000)

with the solar option it can even be independent of electric grid. It's not ugly either, it's new and different.
That's 25,000 miles per year which is 68.4 miles a day. Do you really think a couple square meters of solar panel is going to give you 68 miles of range per day? Say 4 m^2 at 25% efficiency and 450 Wh/mi in a sunny location. This might give you 7*.25*4/.450 = 15.5 miles added range per day in the summer and 9 in the winter if you can park on a tilting turntable that tracks the sun in azimuth and elevation throughout the day. Noting also that phantom drain is just about 12 miles/day it is pretty clear that if you want to run a CT off grid you will have to install substantially more than 4 m^2 solar panels on your property and Power Walls too unless you can always charge in the hours around noon.

The solar option may cover phantom drain (if Sentry mode is off) so that you could park your car at an airport and go off for a couple of weeks and come back to a car with a nearly full battery, for example, or it might be used to operate an air circulation fan to keep the interior from becoming an oven in hot weather without using the compressor but it is not going to be your traction energy source.

Last edited:

Lorenlgray

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual motor cybertruck
Country flag
That's 25,000 miles per year which is 68.4 miles a day. Do you really think a couple square meters of solar panel is going to give you 68 miles of range per day? Say 4 m^2 at 25% efficiency and 450 Wh/mi in a sunny location. This might give you 7*.25*4/.450 = 15.5 miles added range per day in the summer and 9 in the winter if you can park on a tilting turntable that tracks the sun in azimuth and elevation throughout the day. Noting also that phantom drain is just about 12 miles/day it is pretty clear that if you want to run a CT off grid you will have to install substantially more than 4 m^2 solar panels on your property and Power Walls too unless you can always charge in the hours around noon.

The solar option may cover phantom drain (if Sentry mode is off) so that you could park your car at an airport and go off for a couple of weeks and come back to a car with a nearly full battery, for example, or it might be used to operate an air circulation fan to keep the interior from becoming an oven in hot weather without using the compressor but it is not going to be your traction energy source.
I read the post a little differently. The post says the truck will begin paying for itself day one. I inferred this was because it is electric and per mile costs less to operate. The solar panel on the vehicle is just icing on the electric cake.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I was mostly responding to
...with the solar option it can even be independent of electric grid.
Were it really independent of the electric grid it would, of course, pay for itself starting immediately but people don't appreciate how little the energy costs for a car really are. Let's take his 25,000 miles in an ICE vehicle at 20 mpg. That means 1,250 gal of gas per year at $2.70/gal. That's $3,375 which isn't insignificant but on an $80,000 vehicle isn't that much. If he went solar (with sufficient panels to supply the 25000*.450 = 11250 kWh he'd need) he'd save $3,375 each year and pay for the truck in 23.7 years. If, OTOH, he bought the electricity from the average utility for $0.134/kWh he'd pay $1,462 for energy and save $1,913 per year and pay for the truck in 42 years.

So many people think that if they get the solar option they will be driving free. This just isn't true and I really want people to understand that (though, if I think about it, I don't really know why I care).

Jelloiron

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I was mostly responding to

Were it really independent of the electric grid it would, of course, pay for itself starting immediately but people don't appreciate how little the energy costs for a car really are. Let's take his 25,000 miles in an ICE vehicle at 20 mpg. That means 1,250 gal of gas per year at $2.70/gal. That's $3,375 which isn't insignificant but on an $80,000 vehicle isn't that much. If he went solar (with sufficient panels to supply the 25000*.450 = 11250 kWh he'd need) he'd save $3,375 each year and pay for the truck in 23.7 years. If, OTOH, he bought the electricity from the average utility for $0.134/kWh he'd pay $1,462 for energy and save $1,913 per year and pay for the truck in 42 years.

So many people think that if they get the solar option they will be driving free. This just isn't true and I really want people to understand that (though, if I think about it, I don't really know why I care).
You're calculating the entire cost of the vehicle and you should be calculating the difference between the CT and say an F-150 since that seems to be the target of the CT.

The CT is a more expensive truck loaded up but if you're going to buy a truck anyways, how much more it costs and how fast it pays for that difference is what matters.

With that in mind, how long does it take to pay for the difference between those trucks.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You can put whatever you want to compare to into the math and come to your own conclusions.

Markyde

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata toyota
Occupation
personal trainer
Country flag
Agree with everything You say expect . I think its a pretty BAD ASS LOOKING TRUCK

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
wonder if Elon will offer free supercharging for the Cybertruck

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
No. Why would Tesla want to do that? Free supercharging was only offered for high priced vehicles which they wanted to sell but were not selling as much as they wanted. They wanted model S and X to be widely accepted and this was one of the ways to gain acceptance. Keep in mind, the cost of electricity was probably built into the cost of car in some way. With Cybertruck they have none of these issues. They have over half a million (probably more) waiting in line to get their hands on one and it is a significantly cheaper car compared to S and X. What would offering free supercharging achieve?
Sponsored