Mr. Keys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Country flag
Feel free to participate in my biased poll. :) My take is for Tesla to re-engineer and do the wiper properly and hide it, especially since they are going to have to figure it out for the roadster anyway. Doing it properly would take this from a laughable attribute to an instant selling point of Tesla engineering when properly hidden. I also very very much wouldn't want to look at that thing all the time when I'm driving. 100% they could figure this out before all the other things that are holding up the launch would be ready.

Summarizing the points made in the thread for reasons to keep or remove

Reasons provided to hide Massive Ugly wiper
  • Much better looking without it
  • Out of drivers view
  • Wiper always free of ice and snow after a storm
  • Greater efficiency and dollars saved that adds up after thousands of miles
  • Fits the Cyber theme properly
  • The huge expensive wiper will last longer
  • Wiper won’t get caught on low hanging branches when driving through woods
  • A cool engineering showpiece for the truck and Tesla
  • Easier to clean the windshield during car washes and long road trips
  • Better looking again ;)

Reasons to keep ugly wiper
  • Cheaper (shouldn’t be that expensive to add if engineered well, and keeping it exposed will cost customers more in the long run due to lost efficiency and shorter lifetime on the expensive wiper)
  • Less complicated (hidden wiper shouldn’t be too complicated if engineered well – simple pop up of the hood a couple inches when you turn on the wiper)
  • More reliable (manual windows and seats are also more reliable – let’s not make this the standard :))
  • Strong ice keeping it closed (if you can get the doors open or turn on the defroster with the app, this shouldn’t be an issue.)
  • Some like how it looks (who are these people? ;P)
Sponsored

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Everyone here will still buy if the truck if it had eight wiper arms.

Plus, the BAW can over-clock to the left, via setting, to clothesline overzealous people asking about your truck. (I am one of them)

At the tip, switch blade wiper to extend the rest of the windshield. With authentic switchblade noise.

if the wiper remains in this iteration, hope the wiper‘s view is hidden by the pillar.

I am hoping to see the interior soon. Lots of teasing hints with the “leaked” photos and video.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Everyone here will still buy if the truck if it had eight wiper arms.

Plus, the BAW can over lock to the left, via setting, to clothesline overzealous people asking about your truck. (I am one of them)

At the tip, switch blade wiper to extend the rest of the windshield. With authentic switchblade noise.

if the wiper remains in this iteration, hope the wiper‘s view is hidden by the pillar.

I am hoping to see the interior soon. Lots of teasing hints with the “leaked” photos and video.
Question: With the arm being so long, will the tip of the wiper break the speed of sound?

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I don't think it's a huge deal, but if I were the designers I'd probably do away with the uniform flat front in order to create a hiding place for the wiper.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I'd say nix it, I think it'd be super easy to do, BUT it's far from a deal breaker. I just can't see a valid reason for having an erect wiper in plain view. When I was in high school I had an old volvo station wagon, it was hideous, and it was, of course, before the world figured out how to hide 'em. Hide, please. Nobody needs to see it.

Berno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Tacoma, TLR200
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
As Elon would probably say, the best wiper is no wiper. As Elon would probably also say during a drunk twitter rant, why spend engineering resources on this BS. It would be easier for SpaceX to figure out a way to stop rain.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The BAW will not be in the driver's view. It's behind the A-pillar and its air bag.

-Crissa
A fact which bothers me more than the wiper. The A-pillar does looks particularly large here.

Not like “OMG I can’t buy it” large, but “Makes me want to sit in it and see if it’s actually a problem” large.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
A fact which bothers me more than the wiper. The A-pillar does looks particularly large here.

Not like “OMG I can’t buy it” large, but “Makes me want to sit in it and see if it’s actually a problem” large.
If there is a display or projection on the inside to see through the pillar, I can’t believe I am saying this, size does not matter.