Mr. Keys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Country flag
I don’t think any of us can answer that well.

It may be that there is enough drag from having that wiper gap that this makes more sense from a pure get-er-done perspective.
Honestly, Tesla should just have the hood pop up slightly when you turn on the wipers, which would enable the wipers to move up from that slot and wipe as normal. Honestly doesn't seem like a massive engineering challenge. Would be a huge miss if not implemented.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Honestly, Tesla should just have the hood pop up slightly when you turn on the wipers, which would enable the wipers to move up from that slot and wipe as normal. Honestly doesn't seem like a massive engineering challenge. Would be a huge miss if not implemented.
Would it be a huge miss?

I’m probably too pragmatic of a person. In my eyes I see this as a thing which serves a purpose. I don’t see a need to hide it any more than I see the need for pop up headlights.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Pop-up headlights saved fuel, and time at the track. They were a good idea in the era of glass bulbs.

Pop-ups might still be a good idea for offroad lights and emergency bacons.

-Crissa
For the record… every time people write beacon I read it as bacon.

Pop up emergency bacon is good yes. Not sure how you maintain flavor though.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, it's basically cold bacon. They've been sous vide, seared, treated with sulfates, and then sealed and pasteurized, not in that order.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah, it's basically cold bacon. They've been sous vide, seared, treated with sulfates, and then sealed and pasteurized, not in that order.

-Crissa
So. Even less healthy than normal bacon. Got it.

Tempting to get some though.

And some people don’t know what they would do with their sail pillar storage. Imagine getting stuck in the snow overnight and pressing a button and BOOM surprise bacon for everyone.

OP
OP

Mr. Keys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Country flag
Would it be a huge miss?

I’m probably too pragmatic of a person. In my eyes I see this as a thing which serves a purpose. I don’t see a need to hide it any more than I see the need for pop up headlights.
I think so. That front end is going to be displayed everywhere, and we'll all have to look at it all the time when driving, and not to mention everyone we show it to is going to laugh at it lol. It's also very anti Tesla, just slapping a butt ugly wiper on there instead of engineering the proper solution. Elon himself talks about how lame other companies are for releasing cars that are uglier than their concepts. This isn't crazy hard to do right, and they need to figure it out anyway for the roadster. They should just get it done.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think so. That front end is going to be displayed everywhere, and we'll all have to look at it all the time when driving, and not to mention everyone we show it to is going to laugh at it lol. It's also very anti Tesla, just slapping a butt ugly wiper on there instead of engineering the proper solution. Elon himself talks about how lame other companies are for releasing cars that are uglier than their concepts. This isn't crazy hard to do right, and they need to figure it out anyway for the roadster. They should just get it done.
Musk said he didn’t like other companies releasing cars which are *worse* than their concepts. He never said anything about uglier.

In my eyes, the beauty of the Cybertruck is like the beauty of a Leatherman or other well crafted tool. It is a tool, everything on it is there for a purpose and there is little to no waste on needless affordances. A wiper blade is a necessary part of the truck. What would bother me a lot more is if they did something to hide it that made it less effective.

A nice little wiper stash would be cool. Not having it doesn’t bother me a bit either.

The mirrors bother me a lot more visually and if there are cameras for the driver, I will pull the mirrors.

OP
OP

Mr. Keys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Country flag
Musk said he didn’t like other companies releasing cars which are *worse* than their concepts. He never said anything about uglier.

In my eyes, the beauty of the Cybertruck is like the beauty of a Leatherman or other well crafted tool. It is a tool, everything on it is there for a purpose and there is little to no waste on needless affordances. A wiper blade is a necessary part of the truck. What would bother me a lot more is if they did something to hide it that made it less effective.

A nice little wiper stash would be cool. Not having it doesn’t bother me a bit either.

The mirrors bother me a lot more visually and if there are cameras for the driver, I will pull the mirrors.
See below link for Elon's response when Leno asks about the looks of the Cybertruck - he specifically responds to how lame it is when companies make beautiful show cars uglier. Agreed that the mirrors are worse than the wiper, but am actually quite impressed with Tesla's approach there since they made them removable. :)

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
People talk about thrashing the truck bed, not worrying about scratches, attaching bed campers, attaching bed frames, putting bush bars or winches on the front.

...But then get bent over a wiper being visible.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
People talk about thrashing the truck bed, not worrying about scratches, attaching bed campers, attaching bed frames, putting bush bars or winches on the front.

...But then get bent over a wiper being visible.
Different people.

I just want a truck to do the stuff I want to get done.

I suspect the folks who are overly worried about how the wiper looks are going to be disappointed regardless. Whether the truck has a wiper or not, people are going to call it ugly. It’s just too out there and polarizing.
Sponsored