No towing for Model Y, what about Cybertruck towing? [Update: Model Y gets tow hitch option]

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I originally put in a reservation for a Model Y when I heard it would be able to tow, but after I put in my serration for the CT I cancelled my Model Y order. Now we find out that the a model Y cannot tow. Since Tesla promised towing, and they also promised it for the CT, where does that leave us?

I still have lots of questions unanswered about the CT. I know that they will get answered, and that Tesla will come through, but news like this is disheartening to say the least. I feel sorry for all the people that ordered a Model Y that need to tow. An SUV that doesn’t tow is just a car.
Sponsored

stumby

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P90D
Country flag
I originally put in a reservation for a Model Y when I heard it would be able to tow, but after I put in my serration for the CT I cancelled my Model Y order. Now we find out that the a model Y cannot tow. Since Tesla promised towing, and they also promised it for the CT, where does that leave us?

I still have lots of questions unanswered about the CT. I know that they will get answered, and that Tesla will come through, but news like this is disheartening to say the least. I feel sorry for all the people that ordered a Model Y that need to tow. An SUV that doesn’t tow is just a car.
No way the Cybertruck won’t be designed to tow. The highlight of the entire reveal event was the tow-off against the F-150.

ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
No way the Cybertruck won’t be designed to tow. The highlight of the entire reveal event was the tow-off against the F-150.
That wasn’t towing, that was tugging. There was no tow hitch involved, was there? We all saw different things in the reveal event as the highlight. For me, living on the coast, it was the stainless steel exoskeleton. I didn’t care at all whether the CT can pull an F-150. I agree that Tesla has made a big deal about CT towing, but my point is that they delivered an SUV that doesn’t tow. How many SUVs are there in the world that don’t tow? I am looking for ‘good’ surprises not bad ones.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Clearly the defining design requirement for the CT is its ability to tow 14,000 pounds 150 - 200 miles. The fact that this results in unloaded range of 500 miles is icing on the cake - thick, sweet icing for sure but icing nonetheless.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
That wasn’t towing, that was tugging. There was no tow hitch involved, was there? We all saw different things in the reveal event as the highlight. For me, living on the coast, it was the stainless steel exoskeleton. I didn’t care at all whether the CT can pull an F-150. I agree that Tesla has made a big deal about CT towing, but my point is that they delivered an SUV that doesn’t tow. How many SUVs are there in the world that don’t tow? I am looking for ‘good’ surprises not bad ones.
It just came without a tow hitch attachment. That doesn't mean people can buy aftermarket tow hitch and tow with it.

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
My 2 Lexus RXs and my 2 Jeep Grand Cherokees didn't come with a trailer hitch. but their manuals clearly stated what the towing capacities were. The Tesla Model Y manual provides no towing capacity but specifically says it cannot tow. Anyway, this isn't really a question about towing or even about the Model Y; it was a question about being told one thing and delivered something less (no one will complain about being delivered something more - and in several ways Tesla delivered more in the Model Y). You guys need to understand that I am a CT fanboy; I just happen to be a paranoid one these past couple of days. By and large I trust Tesla completely.

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I hear you guys. It’s true. Model Y is not designed to tow as stated in the manual. But how many cars / SUVs you see on the road are towing anything at all? This is a mass market replacement for crossovers (which is in fact the modern version of car). CT should and absolutely will be able to tow. It’ be suicidal for the pick up to be not able to tow. I wouldn’t worry about that possibility. I’ll be more worried about when and where they’re going to make it and whether they’ll have enough batteries in time for the CT and the Semi.

Last edited:

Terryaki

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3; 1989 F250 IDI (retiring for the Tri-Motor Cyber Truck)
Country flag
I see no reference to towing in the Model Y manual, which doesn't mean yes or no. (did I miss a reference in the manual? Page#?) The Y clearly has a place on the back to facilitate a towing jack so I think it's very presumptuous to immediately assume that Y won't have towing.
To worry about the truck not supporting towing is silly.

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

Terryaki

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3; 1989 F250 IDI (retiring for the Tri-Motor Cyber Truck)
Country flag
This thread is specifically about towing, Discussions are best kept by topic as the discussion works better, is easier to find. etc.

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
This thread is specifically about towing, Discussions are best kept by topic as the discussion works better, is easier to find. etc.
I think that I should know why I started the thread.

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
For what it's worth, I'm getting ready to produce a three part video series on Cybertruck Towing. Working on the first one now. Should have it out by Thursday or Friday.
Sponsored