Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That's the way I understand it, as well. If that's the case, the 4680s really need to be the "million mile" solution or else you risk a chance your vehicle's value could drop to almost nothing (well, scrap pricing anyway) if the batteries do not last the lifetime of the vehicle.
EVs tend to just get less and less range per charge so value dropping to zero is unlikely. At some point you’ll realize you need a little more range, sell it to someone who is ok with having 200 miles range, and you’ll buy a new one.

There have been a few Teslas where the battery has failed completely, but it’s not super common.
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Could we be at 500 Model Y's per week ...ALREADY ?

Jeffs video today, Model Y coming out like ants.

Looks they make a bunch and then park them outside all at once. Looks like 50 or so more cars since Joe's 7ish am video. (I didn't replay the earlier video to count exactly)

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Could we be at 500 Model Y's per week ...ALREADY ?

Jeffs video today, Model Y coming out like ants.

Looks they make a bunch and then park them outside all at once. Looks like 50 or so more cars since Joe's 7ish am video. (I didn't replay the earlier video to count exactly)
There is another video where they drive vehicles out, charge them, then drive them back inside. It’s pretty clear the 200 or so outside are just the tip of the iceberg.

Also… Giga Berlin’s final permit was approved. The Berlin Model Y gun can open fire.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
EVs tend to just get less and less range per charge so value dropping to zero is unlikely. At some point you’ll realize you need a little more range, sell it to someone who is ok with having 200 miles range, and you’ll buy a new one.

There have been a few Teslas where the battery has failed completely, but it’s not super common.
If one 18650 cell fails in a 85kWhr pack, the BMS compensates by reducing the charge in the other parallel bricks, so it essentially takes out 36 cells. 36/7140 cells is only .05% reduction from a single failed cell., but with 4680s a single bad cell would be worse. Without doing all the math I would guess 2% overall reduction. One bad cell would suck because you would still be with-in the warranty tolerance. 2 bad cells in the same area of the pack might require replacement of the entire pack.

I don't know what the individual cell failure rates has been or why an individual cell might fail or if 4680 will be more reliable.

Maybe Tesla BMS strategy will be much more advanced.

The 4680 are a little riskier by nature.

Youaregoldone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Cybertruck
Country flag
I personally believe that Elon Musk should consider putting the rolling mechanism and the housing of the circular segmented cover mat under the roof behind the top of the back seats, at the edge of the see-through (or solar) roof. That not only would allow passage between cabin and back, but also reduce the length of the hard segmented top; as well as exposition to dirt/dust.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
it Is a mini fridge with ice maker.
If we look carefully, there's a slit

Clearly comes with a toaster. And in another photo, noticed a kitchen sink in the frunk.

TheFimMaker

First Name
József
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertrack
Occupation
invertor
Country flag
Biztos vagyok benne, hogy Elon megkapta az üzenetet a kereseti hívás után. Senki sem örül a CT késéseknek.
[/IDÉZET]
Én nem vagyok benne biztos,minden segítségnek örülnék,hogy eljusson hozzá vagy valamelyik tervezőhöz,mérnökhöz ez az információ és jelentkezzen valaki....

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
A 4680 structural pack doesn't mean that it can't be split into 2-4 modules so they can be replaced individually, in particular neither does a structural pack mean the whole pack can't be replaced. The 4680 will be made seperately as a module that is likely attached to the front and rear castings and body shell with fasteners, meaning they can be undone to remove and repair. The structural part of the pack comes from bonding the cells into a sandwich structure, and the module can easily be made to transfer load through fasteners without being permanently bonded to the rest of the vehicle. Individual cells will not be able to be removed from a structural pack however.

Having less cells also means that a more complex BMS, possibly with cell level isolation and reconfiguration, is also more affodable to do.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
it Is a mini fridge with ice maker.
You guys are being ridiculous. Please stop making fun of Cybertruck. I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my Cybertruck don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now, if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...
Sponsored

Last edited: