Space for your toolbox, TIRE and Cyberquad.....Sail pillars.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I am betting the spare tire is a sticker with emergency service’s number.

I bet you are wondering who peed in my Cheerios.
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I've previously posted CT CAD drawings in other threads depicting spare tyre locations in the frunk or under the bed in the rear using Model S motor assemblies.

The frunk works, but will need to pass carsh testing, the rear under bed storage is more difficult because of the position of the rear wheel center that has to allign with the driveshafts to the gearbox, which is very tight to fit it in behind the rear bumper and any structural elements there for the tow hitch. However, in the last test track images there seems to be a much larger cover over the underbed storage, which I'm hoping is big enough to put in a full size spare.

It's highly likely the spare wheel itself will be an optional extra, and that by using the more compact Plaid drivtrain and a bit of tweaking of the drivetrain components, potentially even by shortening of the wheelbase, we will get a underbed spare wheel storage space.

It's dimensionally impossible to fit the spare wheel in the sails however. In fact there's already barely enough internal wheel arch area in there as it is, and it requires the side trim to be compliant and not have exposed wheels.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
I am betting the spare tire is a sticker with emergency service’s number.

I bet you are wondering who peed in my Cheerios.
Or a can of fix-a-flat.

To be honest the spare under the bed has only been around for 50 some odd years. Spare tires in trucks used to mount to the outside of the wheel flare, to the inside side of the bed or just be carried around as cargo.

I will carry a spare even if it is cargo in the bed because roadside service is at least an hour away and they don't take GPS coordinates as a location, nor will they go miles down forest roads... at least around here. Heck the closest road side service is an hour away from my town, unless you know whose shop to call directly.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I am fairly certain the frunk is not at least 35" tire size, there is under-bed storage that might be big enough but I really hate the idea of having to unload in order to change a tire. I noticed it early on and took it to mean there was room in the bed for a spare tire, but it didn't necessarily come with one. I figure we will find out eventually, but I still prefer the tire under the back like a traditional truck.
Exo-racks forthcoming! Early renders foreshadowed Cybertruck was going to be racked. Its the logical construct of inside-out engineering.

flamaest

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
The F-150 EV, Silverado EV and Rivian R1T all have full size spares, so the CT better well have one and not some fakery BS by placing it on the bed nonsense.

It better be placed out of the way but still accessible; JUST LIKE everyone else has managed to do it.

Whoever is suggesting fix-a-flat (FAF) has never overlanded and should stay at home watching Youtube videos while the real offroaders get to it. FAF will not repair a major side wall tear and those happen in rough terrain more often that you think.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The F-150 EV, Silverado EV and Rivian R1T all have full size spares, so the CT better well have one and not some fakery BS by placing it on the bed nonsense.

It better be placed out of the way but still accessible; JUST LIKE everyone else has managed to do it.

Whoever is suggesting fix-a-flat (FAF) has never overlanded and should stay at home watching Youtube videos while the real offroaders get to it. FAF will not repair a major side wall tear and those happen in rough terrain more often that you think.
Going out on a limb here, but I think the comment about fix a flat was sarcasm.

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I have no problem with Tesla NOT building cars like everyone else. So far none of the teslas come with a spare and that’s fine. I’ll take the range instead of the spare. If I feel I’m going somewhere I may need it it will be thrown in the back.

ecotrials

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, electric trials bike
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes we will find out eventually. The problem with a spare under the back is that I want a quad motor so there will already be batteries and 2 motors back there being held together by the gigapress casting. I seriously doubt there is going to be room for a spare tire under there. If there is, great! But I’m not counting on that.
I always assumed the tri-motor had two rear motors, so that shouldn't be a huge problem for the quad if they do actually offer a full size spare. The Rivian looks like it has a full spare accessible from the bed. Maybe that will instigate Elon to match it? Hopefully.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Regarding the side sails; my friend just bought a RAM with the RAM box option. I didn't realize how much I would like these until I saw them and it still left over 50" of bed width. We are still waiting on the RAM "Revolution" to debut their 1500 EV. They are saying it will have a 500 mile variant also.

So if the CT doesn't have side sail storage and that feature is important to you along with the 500 miles of range in EV truck, you might still have an option. It's really the only other truck I'm interested in right now. Because of the range (if true)...the RAM boxes would just be a bonus.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Regarding the side sails; my friend just bought a RAM with the RAM box option. I didn't realize how much I would like these until I saw them and it still left over 50" of bed width. We are still waiting on the RAM "Revolution" to debut their 1500 EV. They are saying it will have a 500 mile variant also.

So if the CT doesn't have side sail storage and that feature is important to you along with the 500 miles of range in EV truck, you might still have an option. It's really the only other truck I'm interested in right now. Because of the range (if true)...the RAM boxes would just be a bonus.
It’s pretty hard to get interested in Ram’s vague offering when Ram and Stellantis are so far behind in this game.

By the time they release their first generation truck, Ford and GM will be coming out with their second generation truck and Tesla will have had 12-24 months iterating and improving the Cybertruck.

The electric truck market is going to be completely different in 3 years.

I’m a huge fan of the sail pillar storage, likely for a lot of the reasons you like the Ram storage, but it is one feature of many.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What is so crazy about this is EVs are in principal simpler than ICE vehicles. It’s a power source and an electric motor bolted to a chassis.

It’s just that tricky part of managing that much stored power and… well actually finding someone to sell you enough batteries to make tens of thousands of trucks.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Maybe Tesla will develop some kind of folding spare to help you limp to a service station. With the adjustable suspension and the computer limiting speed most of the weight could be born by the other 3 wheels. Wounded paw mode.

Most of us are not serious off roaders, if you are put your full size spare in the vault.

I don't want a full size spare at the expense of weight and storage. Give me a great tire repair kit and the aforementioned folding donut.
Sponsored