JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Heyo, I read this and your other writeup on the suspension and got an account just to talk to you about it. I think you might be correct, with some evidence supporting and some against. It's clear from photos of the various prototypes that there's no shock tower between the wheel and bed, so whatever is there fits beneath the bed. That said, I was looking at YT videos of the F150L and its rear coilovers appear to fit under the bed: So it seems possible the CT has a more conventional suspension.

With some effort I was able to dig up a few photos: 1. the front suspension on the original prototype 2. the rear on the original and 3. the rear on the pedestal'd prototype at Cyber Rodeo.

In 1 we see the shaft going nearly straight up to the air shock, like we'd expect. In 2, we can see whatever is connected goes up at quite an angle! But it sort of looks like a regular truck strut, not a push rod. 3. is harder to see altogether... we see the drive shaft and sway bar link. There are two bolts poking out the bottom, suggesting maybe they want to swap out different things for testing?

Anyways curious what you had to say about what I've uncovered.

IMG_1879.PNG

IMG_1883.PNG

IMG_1885.PNG
Hey Mar4k! Welcome to the forum!

The main reasoning for my pushrod solution is that after drawing a CT CAD model the same week as it was realeased in 2019, I simply became aware of the space constraints under the bed, as even the wheels themselves don't fit in the side sails without those wheel arches on the outside, and the hidden widening angle on the bedside. There's simply no space for a upright spring riser.

Then if you add the MS drivetrain under the bed so the axles line up with the wheel hub etc it gets cramped pretty quick. Then trying to fit a spare between the motors and the rear hitch is even more of a problem, especially with those 35".

From what I have seen so far the rear suspension does not have a low profile spring on the lower control arm (like the Hummer EV btw) and given the length of the control arms I don't think they will get the suspension geometry to work without a bell crank lever so they can place the airspring setup parallel to the wheel and in front of the motor drivetrain. The pushrod still needs a decent angle to work, and now with 4WS the space under there is becoming even more premium.

(PS It looks like that Lightning has a rear trailing arm setup, the CT looks more like double wishbone)
Sponsored

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
With a evenly distributed weight from the four motors along with rear wheel steering, the Cybertruck will not need to have its tires rotated for even wear. Musk is a genius!

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
With a evenly distributed weight from the four motors along with rear wheel steering, the Cybertruck will not need to have its tires rotated for even wear. Musk is a genius!
Only if Tesla automatically adjust air pressure and alignment continually will tire rotations be avoid. Alas, I am seated next to you imagining never needing to rotate tires.

Those tires are not light and my son cannot be bribed anymore to do these tasks. I detest going to a shop and waiting for rotation so, I will do myself.
@Tesla, I need jack points clearly marked for my lazy approach on the jack looks good enough here.
Sponsored