cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I think Tesla decided to go with 4WS when they unloaded the prototype in NYC back in '21 and it needed to perform a 3-point-turn just to turn around on the street. Its turning radius with 2WS is very poor.
that thing was particularly huge/long

giving a full-sized truck the turning radius/maneuverability of even a mid-sized truck drastically increases the TAM ... esp in the coastal urban areas, where Tesla is best established

by gawd I'm *still* gonna back into parking spaces like a Chad, though**

**especially with the frunk pointing the direction it does
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
Because it's the only vehicle out there with similar functionality. Like I said, I am aware of the differences, but I would love to see how each vehicle utilizes their technology. In that they do compare.
I don't care how it compares to the Hummer. I want to see if it's better than other pickup trucks.

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't care how it compares to the Hummer. I want to see if it's better than other pickup trucks.
You do know that there are some that will argue that the Hummer EV IS considered a truck... I'm just saying...

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
Meh, still looks rather anemic for 4-wheel steering to me.

I am with-holding further judgement 'til I see it parallel park.

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
Cybertruck using its rear wheels steering!

Whoa! The turning radius and maneuvering in this thing is tight for such a big (and long) vehicle. People with trailers are going to be very pleased.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
That turn seemed effortless as it went around the corner. Comparisons aside, it's so far good enough for me.

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
Its turning radius with 2WS is very poor.
In a recent video, maybe franz coffee, I was impressed how far the front wheels displaced and how fast they went from stop to stop considering the yolk. I dont recall seeing that much throw on the earlier version. I suspect a lot of tweeking has gone on since forever ago

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I can't wait to see the first comparisons of turn radius... Put an F-150 and Cybertruck through the same tight curve course and show how they do. The wheelbase of the Cybertruck is longer than an equivalent F-150 IIRC. I'm hopeful that the Cybertruck will still outmaneuver it.
I'm not so sure rear wheel steering actually decreases the turn radius much at all. I think it does decrease the turn radius a little bit but the biggest advantage it confers upon tight space manuevering is it prevents the rear wheels from dragging to the inside of the turn. That means you can start a tight turn sooner without dragging the side of the vehicle across the obstruction.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
True. But it's also true that some will argue the Earth is flat...I'm just saying...
Ridiculous. The earth definitely isn’t flat. I live on a hill overlooking a deep valley and there are high mountains visible in multiple directions.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'm not so sure rear wheel steering actually decreases the turn radius much at all. I think it does decrease the turn radius a little bit but the biggest advantage it confers upon tight space manuevering is it prevents the rear wheels from dragging to the inside of the turn. That means you can start a tight turn sooner without dragging the side of the vehicle across the obstruction.
...And that in turn makes the nose change direction a little bit faster and hence, a shorter turn radius. The pivot point is in a different place.

-Crissa
Sponsored