FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
I think it's kinda funny that it seems the drivers aren't used to the fact the truck can just turn that tight. Looks to me like they actually don't use the full radius at first.

-Crissa
My wife's Audi Q7 has 4-wheel steering. I think it was a $4k option on the car when she ordered it. It REALLY does take some getting used to, I would start a tight turn and find I was inside the desired turn radius and actually have to relax the wheel so as to lag the turn. Parallel parking is a non-event, it also, makes a huge difference when backing up a trailer, much easier to make lots of small adjustments. Very excited about having this feature on a CT!

Here is a well-done Audi video showing some of the 4ws geometry in action.

Audi Q7 4-wheel steering in action

Last edited:

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
Another article on 4 ws, I don't know how much of the technology is exactly the same as the CT, but the concept certainly is, the last paragraph (emphasis mine) is spot on.

Motor Illustrated, Aug 2019 Matt St-Pierre
Audi Dynamic All-Wheel Steering – A Most Impactful Driving Tool
Four-wheel steering is an old technology but its recent re-introduction is quickly turning into a must-have for all

All-wheel or four-wheel steering became a fad in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Mazda, Honda and Nissan dove head-first into this technology providing it as an option on the priciest trims of their sporty cars. Indeed pricey and less than reliable, 4-wheel steering quickly went away but left a mark. We’ll have waited nearly two decades before its return and today, it is a must driving feature.

The Volkswagen Auto Group, Porsche and Audi in particular, have reintroduced this technology in many of its sportier vehicles. At Audi, and as the latest iterations of many of their vehicles, they are offering what they call Dynamic all-wheel steering as an option.

Audi’s system combines a pair of steering technologies. The first is dynamic steering which relies on strain wave gearing. This is the steering ratio’s ability to change or vary depending on speed. The rear wheels rotate slightly thanks to a spindle drive and two track rods. Picture tie rods as we know them however without adjustments or joints on the ends.

2020 Audi Q7 First Drive Review: It Wasn’t Broke But They Still Fixed It

The impact of four-wheel steering is especially noticeable at lower speeds. Up to about 30km/h, the rear wheels turn in the opposite direction of the front wheels, up to about 8 degrees. Speed and angles vary mildly between carmakers but the immediate sensation at lower speeds is that of a quicker and easier turn-in. The vehicle feels smaller if mostly because the overall turning circle, or radius, can be reduced by an entire meter. This transforms a larger vehicle such as the Audi Q7 or Porsche Cayenne into a more compact Audi Q5 or Porsche Macan.

At highway speeds, the rear wheels will turn up to about 2 degrees in the same direction as the front wheels. Although less noticeable from the driver’s seat, the associated and enhanced stability do improve the driving experience. Essentially, the vehicle feels far more stable and confidence inspiring.

The application also does wonders in sports cars such a Porsche 911. On the road and on a track, the 911’s inherent handling abilities are further enhanced. The all-wheel steering increases the chassis’ responsiveness enabling more speed to be carried through an apex.

Of the many improvements involving the driving experience brought forth in recent years, all-wheel steering is one of the most impactful. If the option is available with the vehicle you are considering, be sure to select. You won’t regret it.

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
Another article on 4 ws, I don't know how much of the technology is exactly the same as the CT, but the concept certainly is, the last paragraph (emphasis mine) is spot on.

Motor Illustrated, Aug 2019 Matt St-Pierre
Audi Dynamic All-Wheel Steering – A Most Impactful Driving Tool
Four-wheel steering is an old technology but its recent re-introduction is quickly turning into a must-have for all

All-wheel or four-wheel steering became a fad in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Mazda, Honda and Nissan dove head-first into this technology providing it as an option on the priciest trims of their sporty cars. Indeed pricey and less than reliable, 4-wheel steering quickly went away but left a mark. We’ll have waited nearly two decades before its return and today, it is a must driving feature.

The Volkswagen Auto Group, Porsche and Audi in particular, have reintroduced this technology in many of its sportier vehicles. At Audi, and as the latest iterations of many of their vehicles, they are offering what they call Dynamic all-wheel steering as an option.

Audi’s system combines a pair of steering technologies. The first is dynamic steering which relies on strain wave gearing. This is the steering ratio’s ability to change or vary depending on speed. The rear wheels rotate slightly thanks to a spindle drive and two track rods. Picture tie rods as we know them however without adjustments or joints on the ends.

2020 Audi Q7 First Drive Review: It Wasn’t Broke But They Still Fixed It

The impact of four-wheel steering is especially noticeable at lower speeds. Up to about 30km/h, the rear wheels turn in the opposite direction of the front wheels, up to about 8 degrees. Speed and angles vary mildly between carmakers but the immediate sensation at lower speeds is that of a quicker and easier turn-in. The vehicle feels smaller if mostly because the overall turning circle, or radius, can be reduced by an entire meter. This transforms a larger vehicle such as the Audi Q7 or Porsche Cayenne into a more compact Audi Q5 or Porsche Macan.

At highway speeds, the rear wheels will turn up to about 2 degrees in the same direction as the front wheels. Although less noticeable from the driver’s seat, the associated and enhanced stability do improve the driving experience. Essentially, the vehicle feels far more stable and confidence inspiring.

The application also does wonders in sports cars such a Porsche 911. On the road and on a track, the 911’s inherent handling abilities are further enhanced. The all-wheel steering increases the chassis’ responsiveness enabling more speed to be carried through an apex.

Of the many improvements involving the driving experience brought forth in recent years, all-wheel steering is one of the most impactful. If the option is available with the vehicle you are considering, be sure to select. You won’t regret it.
Ty info
Sponsored