Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Where does the airbag go for the center passenger?
Gus I normally agree with your thought process but I can't believe when they developed the concept vehicle and introduced it as a 6 seater they just forgot they would have a center mounted screen and would have to figure out how to have an airbag to protect the center passenger.

Heck they figured out how to reuse rockets and land them on drone ships they can figure that out.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Where does the airbag go for the center passenger?
I don't think they are required. but if they are they probably the same place they would be for the right passenger and the screen would have to fold down I suppose. I have a center seat in my truck and there is no center air bag.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Exactly!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
There are so many discrepancies in that video that I am not sure whether there is any real information in it, and the number of forum members that think this also seems to be concur. Here are a few:

- length and width supposedly dropped 5% but the numbers are the same as the original unveiling
- price ranges just guesses
- trims don't match what Tesla has told us (I could see Quad ->Tri and Dual if Elon hadn't gone out of his way to say Quad)
- range estimates that disagree with what was promised

These alone destroyed the credibility of the video for me. Tesla has always overdelivered on the car at the unveiling and what MDR presented backs off on the unveiled features. It just doesn't fit what I have come to know and expect. Then there is the whole thing about the design team not believing that there is anything missing in the CT, when so many things were supposedly removed. And last but not least the whole notion of the CT being a technology bandwagon seems to have gone by the wayside if I believe MDR, as in his view the technology features either don't figure in or are unimportant.

The only news I can really believe, if it is even news, is that they have a 'secret' dedicated accessories group. What a revelation.

Not a great morning :-(

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
It doesn't help having a large screen if you are busy driving and can't look at it. That is the whole idea of having a steering wheel console.
I agree. The big screen is dumb in a truck. I am pretty rough on my truck and I would prefer not to have a fairly fragile screen right in the middle there. I also would bet that reaction times for people looking for information on the large center screen are much slower than for people looking at an instrument cluster straight in front of them.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
DISCLAIMER: Below I’m going to first give this guy what flowers I think he’s due, before then expressing my shared disappointment in his handling of it - so before anyone goes keyboard warrior on the initial positive praise portion of the post, maybe at least get to the bottom for the wholistic take.

His Flowers:

This forum is full of things like attempting to measure turning radius of CT by measuring video stills of a prototype 100 yards away, bed measurements of the original prototype based on photos from Peterson museum, dissecting drone footage of equipment strewn about a factory floor and other such entirely enjoyable conjecture that we’re left to entertaining ourselves with as fans in a long wait for official information.

This guy wins the golden ticket invitation to investor day, chooses to chat up the employee tasked with socializing the vehicle with investors, and then also takes any measurements whatsoever, and puts time into presenting it all - and he catches strays.

Whatever the deficiencies of the information, it’s as good or better information than we’re typically happy to have around here. I’m glad for it.

DISAPPOINTMENT:

Others have variously expressed the unfortunate hype-cycle elements of this “release of information,” and the palpable click-baity feel of things like - especially - the title of the YouTube video.

I just second those critiques, and amplify.
But most disappointing for me (because it touches on something I care most about), is the lack of additional color on the loss of 6th seat. For me personally, it’s not because I want or need the 6th seat.

Instead, it’s because the loss of 6th seat implies a potential reduction in interior room. And, he says the loss of 6th seat is due to 5% shrinkage. Meanwhile, when I observe the truck’s interior in his or any other videos or photos of the “investor day pre-production beta” I’m left concerned (not convinced) that the internal dimensions are decidedly smaller than the earlier prototypes. These following two things are notably dissimilar (to me) in a way that indicates my concern (not conclusion):

first two are of the earlier prototype, the last two of this investor day prototype:

Tesla Cybertruck 📡 EXCLUSIVE: Cybertruck specs update including dimensions, seating, displays, tires / wheels, accessories & more! [from video aired 3/10/23] 1EECFF3C-A6A8-4DD0-89E9-1B6AC6D9C313
Tesla Cybertruck 📡 EXCLUSIVE: Cybertruck specs update including dimensions, seating, displays, tires / wheels, accessories & more! [from video aired 3/10/23] 822B4B4E-AC80-4584-ADFB-EB9912238D28

VS

Tesla Cybertruck 📡 EXCLUSIVE: Cybertruck specs update including dimensions, seating, displays, tires / wheels, accessories & more! [from video aired 3/10/23] 4FB1EE60-31A9-4D57-A383-1B2F34AAB37E
Tesla Cybertruck 📡 EXCLUSIVE: Cybertruck specs update including dimensions, seating, displays, tires / wheels, accessories & more! [from video aired 3/10/23] 78D1DCB8-242D-4B25-A10E-E6FDAE3A46D0

And since apparently one needs constant and complete disclaimers to every nuance to avoid the keyboard assault: my concerns (not conclusions) about interior space are not based upon the four above photos, which are provided only as one visual example of sources of concern. They’re based on the totality of info, photos, videos, etc., available to date - however incomplete. Reasonable people could review the same data and reach different levels of concern or comfort - no doubt depending in part on relative degrees of faith/biases/interest/etc.

No need to further recount that interior space concern, as it was instead background (venting) toward the critique of this information lacking any additional information about the “5% shrink” effects other than the apparent loss of the 6th seat.

Finally, maybe the @Administrator could add to the top post the tweet from Elon about the original onstage proto being 84” wide and so purportedly being the basis from which the 5% would arrive at this proto arriving at the expected specs?

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
I was just talking to a Tesla staff and I can confirm absolutely nothing.... But I can confirm that the truck will have 4 wheels. It will not be a 3 wheel traptera vehicle.
I do now however know how often I will need to replace my shocks if I jump my Cybertruck compared to the "every 10,000 miles needed on his Raptor", or was it his Model X or any of his many F-150's. No it was his Sea-Doo

Edit: Sorry for being in a pissy mood. I usually try to be positive, but this "top secret, straight from the highest levels of Tesla" video just got me sideways. Guess 3 years of pent up frustration.

Longranger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Center screen display ONLY !! That only makes sense if the FSD is working perfectly. Why have a screen in back instead? Crazy if true.

sstevens805

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DM 2021 MY & '69 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Country flag
I do now however know how often I will need to replace my shocks if I jump my Cybertruck compared to the "every 10,000 miles needed on his Raptor", or was it his Model X or any of his many F-150's. No it was his Sea-Doo

Edit: Sorry for being in a pissy mood. I usually try to be positive, but this "top secret, straight from the highest levels of Tesla" video just got me sideways. Guess 3 years of pent up frustration.
I think what irritated me the most was the dramatic countdown timer to generate hype instead of just releasing the video. I'm sure he's trying to monetize it rather than being a friend to a community/subculture, but it made his efforts seem contrived and disingenuous. If I stumble upon some nugget I'm posting it for others asap, not holding it hostage.
Sponsored