Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I took my Cybertruck towing 19' Airstream (~4,500 lbs) to see the eclipse. Total towing miles was 3,400 (out of the 5,400 total miles on the truck). Started in Salt Lake City, Utah and went to Houston, TX and back.

Stats:
Miles driven:3,420
kWh used:2,686
Wh per mile:785 Wh
Time Driven:66 hours
Average Speed:52 mph

I'll see if I have the stats for how many of the charging stops required dropping the trailer, but it was less than 50%, and I got the time needed to unhook the trailer to around 3 minutes (I was using a sway control hitch).
EDIT: 30 supercharges when I had the trailer, only had to drop the trailer 10 times. Most of the rest of the time the superchargers were empty, and I could get in and charge across multiple chargers (only blocking 1 or 2 other chargers if I could approach from the left and leave the trailer outside of the supercharging area).

Cybertruck and trailer.jpeg
That's the life, my friend.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This is what I can't wait for. Supercharge once, then find a high power J plug to park at for the night. Plug the trailer into the truck and run AC/fans and sleep in a real bed for the night. Maybe have a hot shower also before unplugging, fully charged, and doing another 200-300 miles the next day. :D
Anything you pull off into the trailer is power you can't use to charge the truck.

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I’d be super fat if I ate 30 times in that trip. But no matter what, I’d do everything possible to travel via BEV. Always.
30 times in 50 hours of driving?

That's like, four exhausting days of driving. So there's twelve meals. Throw in a soda and snack between each meal and you're up to twenty.

Assumably you'll need to pee, too.

-Crissa

yerEVan

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X Plaid, Y Perf, Y AWD, S Plaid, CT AWD
Country flag
30 times in 50 hours of driving?

That's like, four exhausting days of driving. So there's twelve meals. Throw in a soda and snack between each meal and you're up to twenty.

Assumably you'll need to pee, too.

-Crissa
Among other things. 💩

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
I took my Cybertruck towing 19' Airstream (~4,500 lbs) to see the eclipse. Total towing miles was 3,400 (out of the 5,400 total miles on the truck). Started in Salt Lake City, Utah and went to Houston, TX and back.

Stats:
Miles driven:3,420
kWh used:2,686
Wh per mile:785 Wh
Time Driven:66 hours
Average Speed:52 mph

I'll see if I have the stats for how many of the charging stops required dropping the trailer, but it was less than 50%, and I got the time needed to unhook the trailer to around 3 minutes (I was using a sway control hitch).
EDIT: 30 supercharges when I had the trailer, only had to drop the trailer 10 times. Most of the rest of the time the superchargers were empty, and I could get in and charge across multiple chargers (only blocking 1 or 2 other chargers if I could approach from the left and leave the trailer outside of the supercharging area).

Cybertruck and trailer.jpeg
It’s these type of real world usage reports that I love to see. Thanks for sharing. Many believe that CT cannot be used for long distance towing, but I’m so glad brave owners like you are proving that wrong. As we see more pull-through chargers, CT towing is going to get better. This is only the beginning of EV towing!

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I need to get a 'meantime' while I wait Tesla to figure out wtf you guys are calculating! But a light, 2 person trailer seems very manageable!

nevetsyad

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Y, X, Cybertruck reservation
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yup, I understand. Highest draw would be possibly AC cycling and pulling a few kW. Just need to stay at 8-10kW destination chargers overnight and I’d still end up with most of a “tank” while sleeping.

Anything you pull off into the trailer is power you can't use to charge the truck.

-Crissa

OP
OP
SuedeLlamas

SuedeLlamas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (AWD LR); Cybertruck (AWD)
Country flag
Yup, I understand. Highest draw would be possibly AC cycling and pulling a few kW. Just need to stay at 8-10kW destination chargers overnight and I’d still end up with most of a “tank” while sleeping.
One issue here - when the Cybertruck is plugged in and charging, the outlets in the bed won't turn on.

Protondecay123

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra
Country flag
Yes, if charging at home. But supercharging cost ~$0.33 per kWh, so the entire drive would have cost $886 at supercharger prices - I think a truck getting 13 or 14 mpg would have come in at a similar cost for gas.

It's NOT a better tow vehicle than other trucks, at least on time and money (does handle great though!). It's offset by how great it is handling the day-to-day driving it'll be doing when charging at home.
My Tundra with a pulling a 20 ft Forest River gets 8 mpg.

nevetsyad

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Y, X, Cybertruck reservation
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's supposed to be addressed in the next update. It will be fixed for many months by the time I get mine :D

One issue here - when the Cybertruck is plugged in and charging, the outlets in the bed won't turn on.

Sparky426

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y 2021
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My speeds varied - on the highway I'd usually cruise between 55 mph and 65 mph, with higher speeds really hurting the efficiency. I had a headwind in Wyoming which destroyed my efficiency, and I ended up driving 49 mph just to make it to the next supercharger.

The "Energy" portion of the trip planner was surprising accurate, dropping to realistic numbers as soon as it was in towing mode. That accuracy was in part due to my driving in response to the estimate - the estimated arrival % would drop as I sped up, so I'd slow down to hit the estimate. The estimated arrival times were way off though, since I wouldn't drive the 70 mph to 80 mph speed limit.

I camped at a winery NW of Austin for the eclipse, and made detours to Houston and Tulsa to see friends. Here's the route; note that the map includes some driving around Houston, Austin & Tulsa without the trailer (~370 miles), but my trailer stats only include the drives I did pulling the trailer.
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 9.11.34 PM.png

ElectricSheep

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
Would an ICE truck get 13-14 mpg towing your trailer?
My lifted Jeep Rubicon with 35's and 5.13 gears gets 13.5 mpg towing a far less aerodynamic trailer at 80% of my tow rating and that is towing from Arizona to Utah or Colorado with lots of elevation gains at 65 mph. It would take 13 fill-ups to make the same trip requiring a total of 90-minutes for actually "charging". At $3.50/gallon that equates to $910.

Glad the poster provided the trip information and would love to know total charging time required. Looking at the numbers he is going a bit over 100-miles between Supercharger visit! I would save at least 3-hours on each 450-mile day (I am guessing all the stops to charge he probably took 3-days each leg to complete the trip) since I would only fill-up once in the middle of each days 450-mile journey.

The other aspect is my Jeep charges my trailer with 50A while I drive. I can disperse camp and always arrive at camp with full trailer batteries. I use 200W of solar when camped for more than one night.

ElectricSheep

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
That's still cheaper than my 2k lbs tow with a rubicon... I think came out to around $0.30 / mile. 15 mpg ish. Gas is also extra expensive on west coast :(
The issue for me is the time charging adds so much more time to the trip.

ElectricSheep

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
Country flag