TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Now that 4 motors keep CT at top industry specs, it would be great to see a 37” wheel option. (Maybe only on CT4)Of course a big penalty on range/weight/speed etc., but the Raptor is now offering it, so will the TRX (rumored).
seems like the consensus here is that most will prioritize range and price, over speed and bigger tires. That said cant ignore Tesla‘s history of having the best specs regardless. I think it will be offered at launch.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Now that 4 motors keep CT at top industry specs, it would be great to see a 37” wheel option. (Maybe only on CT4)Of course a big penalty on range/weight/speed etc., but the Raptor is now offering it, so will the TRX (rumored).
seems like the consensus here is that most will prioritize range and price, over speed and bigger tires. That said cant ignore Tesla‘s history of having the best specs regardless. I think it will be offered at launch.

Thoughts?
CT4 buyers are top of food chain. Tesla could name a version of CT4 “Predator” which will have wheel arches, castings, steering and suspension to accommodate 40” rubber. Packages will follow-on for whatever limit your wallet affords.

CT4 takes on all competitors, all competition and beyond…
Tesla Cybertruck 37” tires option would be great 54093B1B-3F81-4954-B4CB-5BFC03007F5F

Edit: img

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla has a history of options which prioritize performance over range. All of the “Performance“ models get less range.

I could totally see a Cybertruck with an off-road specific build. In fact I think it’s an obvious factory option.

I would love if you could configure tire size on the console.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
All of the “Performance“ models get less range.

When I would play around on the Tesla site building the perfect MS or MX I would always hate deciding if I wanted range or performance. I want it all. That is what I loved about the Trimotor. Hoping the quad Motor “has it all” also.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
All development for the release is frozen, just build it already. Annoyed at myself thinking the quad motor may delay my reservation.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
All development for the release is frozen, just build it already. Annoyed at myself thinking the quad motor may delay my reservation.
Um... I doubt the quad version has any impact on when you get your delivery (short of the impact between choosing quad over some other version).

Factory is not quite done yet. The production line in the factory is certainly not done yet. The battery production factory that will allow for mass production of CT and other vehicles is not done yet. All of these have far more impact on when you will get your CT than anything about the design/engineering or how many motors you will get.

If all of the above gets completed and Elon is still talking about adding features (OMG what else is there to add?), THEN you will have something to complain about on the design/engineering side of things.

In my book, if there are enough "spare" engineers around to add cool new features that make things better while we wait for all the above things to take shape, all the better. It just means I'll get an even more provocative and desirable vehicle once it is delivered to my doorstep.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
On Tesla Model 3 and Y the front suspension knuckle is what limits the overall tire diameter. On those, you cannot increase the overall tire diameter much because it will rub (unless you use spacers to make the wheel and tire stick out).

On Cybertruck prototypes, the tires are 35” in diameter (Motortrend and other sources have listed the tire sizes as 315/60R20). We don't know if Tesla will offer a factory option for bigger tires, but at least we can see that 37” tires will actually fit without rubbing on that suspension knuckle. Possible even slightly bigger tires than that. See this great close-up video of one of the Cybertrucks at the Texas Cyber Rodeo .

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
37" should work fine and if you get less wide tyres they might even have similar range, but probably a bit less acceleration performance. The range is dependent on if the extra circumfrance changes your motor efficiency because of the lower rpm, but it should still be within range.

The steering knuckle on top of the wheel is also not present on the rear wheel of the CT, even though it will have 4WS. I'm not sure if this will be visible on the production 4WS model or will interfere with larger tyre sizes.

The other question is why you actually want a larger tyre than a 35", it will have enough clearance and grip, and if you need more flotation for sand use a beedlocker so you can air right down.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
I'm happy that Tesla has been slowing giving us the features that most of us seem to want. I'm perfectly content with 35s as I won't be doing any extremely technical off-roading in the foreseeable future. Having the option to up-size is nice though. The HUMVEE had 35s and CT having similar clearance and supposed capability would be more than adequate for me.

What scenarios exist that 37s would be the only option over 35s?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I'm happy that Tesla has been slowing giving us the features that most of us seem to want. I'm perfectly content with 35s as I won't be doing any extremely technical off-roading in the foreseeable future. Having the option to up-size is nice though. The HUMVEE had 35s and CT having similar clearance and supposed capability would be more than adequate for me.

What scenarios exist that 37s would be the only option over 35s?
The extra 2" would result in 1" of extra clearance under the CT, and would likely have a better wheel to bump approach angle, and would have a slightly larger and longer contact patch (and better flotaation at higher tyre psi) to the ground if they were the same width (315mm). It would also offer more sidewall between the wheel and the ground for impacts over hard terrain.

The most likely place this would help is for rock climbing to avoid bottoming out, or in mud or snow. In sand or on rutted tracks it will not add much benefit, because for sand it already has much more clearance than would be necessary if the tyres were deflated beforehand.

This is all however more "theoretically, on paper". In reality driver experience, skill and vehicle and terrain familiarity will get them much further than the extra 1" of clearance ever would. So if you are thinking of going off-road, join a club or do a few lessons, followed by some practice runs with friends who can recover you, before heading out into the wild by yourself.

I always carry a snap strap, tow strap, inflatable jack (which only works on a ICE exhaust! ), air compressor, puncture kit, spare (pumped up to double pressure so I can fill another tyre, deflate it before putting it on the car though!) Pressure gauge and let down valves, folding shovel, mini axe, all in a grab bag that I can take with in any car. 2x maxtracks and winch are also good to take with, but need to fit the vehicle.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The bigger is better crowd. If everyone's got 35s on their CTs then someone will feel incomplete unless they have 37s. :p
100%!!!! I for one know for certain size does matter! I was told first hand by some very knowledgeable ladies.

37s with a full size spare would be a dream come true for me!!!