Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
But did the dip percentage exceed the tax liability percentage?
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The tax liability is on the change in value from before, not the total sale price.

-Crissa
Or if the trade is happening in a tax deferred account the tax will be in the year of withdrawal on total profit over the lifetime.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
The problem is that any ignoramus (and I am sure you are not one) can open an eTrade account and buy as much of it as he wants to throw money at without anyone warning him that it's a bubble, that it's over priced at $375 for one or $1835 for 5 ($1890 at the moment) or reminding him of what happened to millions of middle class Americans under similar circumstances when .com was the tulip bulb de jour.

Fiddling with a few spare $ for fun on these super volatile stocks is fine but I sincerely hope that no one here (or elsewhere) will invest more than he can afford to lose.
Boy, this post didn't age too well.

I've had over half of my retirement account in Tesla since last June. This was the second best financial decision I've ever made!

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Escalator? Escalators go up and down. TSLA has been going sideways for months.
Boy, that post didn't age well!

Investing is for the long-term, for your future security and retirement. The effect of compounding gains does miracles. The secret is to use discipline and patience and put a fixed percentage of your income in every month. Invest most of it in stocks of good high-growth companies and be patient.

The rewards are astounding.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't have a few thousand dollars I can lose, that's all.

-Crissa
What I did when I was young was buy less stuff. Then I had plenty to invest in good companies. Now my account fluctuates daily by up to a quarter million or even a bit more on the most volatile days and it doesn't bother me at all. I wouldn't have this kind of money to "lose" if I never started investing. But, overall, it goes up most years. It goes up faster than I can spend it (even though I quit working years ago).

The secret is to make more money than you spend early in life. And the secret to that is to buy less stuff. Now I can buy all the Tri-motor Cybertrucks a guy could want.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What will probably happen is that the price will stay high until the index funds are bought in and then return to "normal".
What do you think a TSLA share will be worth in 2025?

Ignore any stock splits between now and then.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm onboard with the roller coaster ride but then I play will lizards and rattlesnakes for a good time if I get board. Say's a lot about my attention span I guess. Hey, I still have all my fingers.
You still have your head too.

I know that because people without heads generally can't type, lol!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What I did when I was young was buy less stuff.
That's great advice.

Maybe instead of skipping one meal, I could have skipped two. Or instead of skipping health insurance, I could have skipped... Or instead of riding my bicycle or the bus I could have... Well, I couldn't have walked.

That advice is just straight up bunk. Usually brought by people who have more than enough.

And I don't mean to insult you, it's just not my experience.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Investing is for the long-term, for your future security and retirement. The effect of compounding gains does miracles. The secret is to use discipline and patience and put a fixed percentage of your income in every month. Invest most of it in stocks of good high-growth companies and be patient.
Really? Is it that simple? If you don't mind I'm going to pass this on to my financial advisers.

What do you think a TSLA share will be worth in 2025?
I know what it's going to be worth in 2025 but as Ken Fisher says, the way to make a bundle is to know something no one else knows so I'm not going to tell you. Sorry.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
That's great advice.

Maybe instead of skipping one meal, I could have skipped two. Or instead of skipping health insurance, I could have skipped... Or instead of riding my bicycle or the bus I could have... Well, I couldn't have walked.

That advice is just straight up bunk. Usually brought by people who have more than enough.

And I don't mean to insult you, it's just not my experience.

-Crissa
I decided young to live my life as though every day was my last. I did crazy, exhilarating things I would not do now, and had great adventures of every kind. I watched as people I knew spent their lives acquiring wealth, and I have never regretted my choices.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It's often said that wisdom is the perspective that comes from having experiences that you wouldn't have had were you wise.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It's often said that wisdom is the perspective that comes from having experiences that you wouldn't have had were you wise.
How true. Some of my most memorable moments were very unwise activities (from a certain point of view).

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I decided young to live my life as though every day was my last. I did crazy, exhilarating things I would not do now, and had great adventures of every kind. I watched as people I knew spent their lives acquiring wealth, and I have never regretted my choices.
Oh, yes! That's what I did too! I took long motorcycle trips and passed fancy lumbering motorhomes loaded with every toy in the book (all I had was a couple of changes of clothes and some roadside snacks). I didn't make much money so when my seasonal work ended in the springtime I would take the hardtop off my 18 year-old jeep that I had rebuilt myself and take a two month open-air tour of the beaches and mountains and high plains of Mexico. I would body surf, off-road and camp in wild deserts, drink beer with local ranchers on Saturday night and get invited to their backyard cookouts. I drove in the open air with the windshield folded flat against the hood under the full moon on coastal highways and almost got held-up by banditos at 1 am in the middle of nowhere (they thought the desert tan jeep we were in was the only thing they feared, Federales, and scattered into the coastal desert where they had 4x4's waiting out of sight). Fun times

When our allotted funds started running low, it was time to head back north and start preparing the gear to fish in Alaska. All summer we would live on-board the 58-foot boat, filling it with fish by day and falling asleep dead tired at midnight each night only to rise 4 hours later and do it all over again! We fished through storms and saw thing most people have never even dreamed of. Amazing sights. We took our aluminum canoe up wild and scenic rivers when the fishery would close for two or three days and sport-fished while watching bears, elk and other wild critters going about their day. Sometimes we would tie up in port and party with the locals until the sky started to get light. Fun times.

When the fishing season ended I would bicycle tour around the San Juan Islands for a week or head off into the North Cascades for a week long trek through the wildest country you've ever seen. We encountered grizzled old mountain goats face to face, lots of bears, fox, mountain lions, lynx, and one night we woke to the sounds of an entire pack of hungry coyotes sniffing around our bare little tent. There were more stars in the sky than I could even believe. I saw fireballs break apart in the night sky, making whistling noises as they went and displays of northern lights so bright you could read by it.

In the winters I would work at ski areas for a free ski pass so I could ride the lifts with my ski buddies every morning at 8:30 sharp. We had some wild times. I would take time off to do week long trips into the backcountry, sleeping on the snow every night and skiing fresh powder every morning. We cooked large pots of lentils and onions with bacon on the snow to power our powder hunger bodies. We skied through storms where you couldn't see 20 feet, off cornices with 10 feet deep powder to land in, and took more than one wild ride down an avalanche chute. We skied bullet-proof ice, hoar frost up to your ankles, and powder so deep you couldn't take your skis off without sinking to your armpits. We saw winter sunrises and sunsets and rising full moons that would shake you to your core.

Yeah, I never did crazy, exhilarating things. Nope! Hell, I couldn't even afford a TV 'cause I was poor! No cable bill, no cell phone, no fancy watches, no new cars and I rode my motorcycle if I could. I rebuilt it myself for next to nothing. New clothes and furniture? Who needs them? I was too busy living. Life itself was crazy and exhilarating. That didn't stop me from putting 10% of my earnings aside and investing it! I knew I would get old (as everyone does) and my body would not be able to do those things forever.

Looks like I really missed on living life because I was so busy living it! I'm sorry this is so long but the question of whether to invest or not to invest is not the decision to live life or be boring. No, it's the question of how much stuff you buy, and whether you pay others to make your life what it is or you figure out how to live life yourself. Most people of sound body and mind can put aside 10% if they have the discipline to do it.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Oh, yes! That's what I did too! I took long motorcycle trips and passed fancy lumbering motorhomes loaded with every toy in the book (all I had was a couple of changes of clothes and some roadside snacks). I didn't make much money so when my seasonal work ended in the springtime I would take the hardtop off my 18 year-old jeep that I had rebuilt myself and take a two month open-air tour of the beaches and mountains and high plains of Mexico. I would body surf, off-road and camp in wild deserts, drink beer with local ranchers on Saturday night and get invited to their backyard cookouts. I drove in the open air with the windshield folded flat against the hood under the full moon on coastal highways and almost got held-up by banditos at 1 am in the middle of nowhere (they thought the desert tan jeep we were in was the only thing they feared, Federales, and scattered into the coastal desert where they had 4x4's waiting out of sight). Fun times

When our allotted funds started running low, it was time to head back north and start preparing the gear to fish in Alaska. All summer we would live on-board the 58-foot boat, filling it with fish by day and falling asleep dead tired at midnight each night only to rise 4 hours later and do it all over again! We fished through storms and saw thing most people have never even dreamed of. Amazing sights. We took our aluminum canoe up wild and scenic rivers when the fishery would close for two or three days and sport-fished while watching bears, elk and other wild critters going about their day. Sometimes we would tie up in port and party with the locals until the sky started to get light. Fun times.

When the fishing season ended I would bicycle tour around the San Juan Islands for a week or head off into the North Cascades for a week long trek through the wildest country you've ever seen. We encountered grizzled old mountain goats face to face, lots of bears, fox, mountain lions, lynx, and one night we woke to the sounds of an entire pack of hungry coyotes sniffing around our bare little tent. There were more stars in the sky than I could even believe. I saw fireballs break apart in the night sky, making whistling noises as they went and displays of northern lights so bright you could read by it.

In the winters I would work at ski areas for a free ski pass so I could ride the lifts with my ski buddies every morning at 8:30 sharp. We had some wild times. I would take time off to do week long trips into the backcountry, sleeping on the snow every night and skiing fresh powder every morning. We cooked large pots of lentils and onions with bacon on the snow to power our powder hunger bodies. We skied through storms where you couldn't see 20 feet, off cornices with 10 feet deep powder to land in, and took more than one wild ride down an avalanche chute. We skied bullet-proof ice, hoar frost up to your ankles, and powder so deep you couldn't take your skis off without sinking to your armpits. We saw winter sunrises and sunsets and rising full moons that would shake you to your core.

Yeah, I never did crazy, exhilarating things. Nope! Hell, I couldn't even afford a TV 'cause I was poor! No cable bill, no cell phone, no fancy watches, no new cars and I rode my motorcycle if I could. I rebuilt it myself for next to nothing. New clothes and furniture? Who needs them? I was too busy living. Life itself was crazy and exhilarating. That didn't stop me from putting 10% of my earnings aside and investing it! I knew I would get old (as everyone does) and my body would not be able to do those things forever.

Looks like I really missed on living life because I was so busy living it! I'm sorry this is so long but the question of whether to invest or not to invest is not the decision to live life or be boring. No, it's the question of how much stuff you buy, and whether you pay others to make your life what it is or you figure out how to live life yourself. Most people of sound body and mind can put aside 10% if they have the discipline to do it.
I have no issue with people spending money, if they have it, as long as they live life. It sounds like you have lived life without spending money and that is fine. I was saying that I have known people that forewent living life with the idea that they would live their lives later.
Sponsored