CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
I just bought during this surge. Just have to hold your nose and realize sometime you will buy shares and they may go underwater for a while.
Totally agree. That's why we are investing. We have the conviction that tomorrow will be better than today, but important to understand that along the way, there will be dips. My first year in TSLA (2018) I bought 15 shares @$289.50 and there was a good chunk of time shortly after that I was red and I heard it from all sides to sell and cut my losses before the bleeding gets worse. Thanks to listening to people like Rob Mauer and Gali early on I began to grow my conviction and build on my original investment to 135 shares today. My strategy is dollar-cost-average when buying TSLA, I keep a few thousand aside as my dry powder in case a massive dip happens but after the few thousand, I keep buying $500 worth per month. So far I am far ahead and growing fast.

And congrats to all of you who have bought and still holding. Today is great, but Tomorrow will be even better!
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Totally agree. That's why we are investing. We have the conviction that tomorrow will be better than today, but important to understand that along the way, there will be dips. My first year in TSLA (2018) I bought 15 shares @$289.50 and there was a good chunk of time shortly after that I was red and I heard it from all sides to sell and cut my losses before the bleeding gets worse. Thanks to listening to people like Rob Mauer and Gali early on I began to grow my conviction and build on my original investment to 135 shares today. My strategy is dollar-cost-average when buying TSLA, I keep a few thousand aside as my dry powder in case a massive dip happens but after the few thousand, I keep buying $500 worth per month. So far I am far ahead and growing fast.

And congrats to all of you who have bought and still holding. Today is great, but Tomorrow will be even better!
I bought Tesla at 280 pre-split then sold it a few months later at a health profit when it was too expensive.… That really stings right now. I don’t want to know how much that cost me.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Hmmmm, this conversation just triggered a hypothetical question for me.

Let's say when my number is up and I can get my Tri-motor CT and with all the bells and whistles it comes to $85k. At that time, let's say my meager Tesla investments paid off and I have $100k of TSLA. Should I buy the truck outright (original plan), or... take out a loan and make the monthly payments by slowly selling the stock?

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag

Let's say when my number is up and I can get my Tri-motor CT and with all the bells and whistles it comes to $85k. At that time, let's say my meager Tesla investments paid off and I have $100k of TSLA. Should I buy the truck outright (original plan), or... take out a loan and make the monthly payments by slowly selling the stock?
Everyone is in a different financial place or has different retirement goals. And to be fair, I am not a financial advisor nor are you paying me for "advice" lol. I can only tell you what my plan is.

As I mentioned before I contribute $500 each month to my Roth IRA and purchase TSLA with that. With my retirement goal of 60 years old, I will have way more than I would need to retire comfortably. That being said, I also set aside $700/month for my Cybertruck fund with a goal of putting down $30k cash and financing the remainder of what the dual or tri (haven't decided yet) will cost me over 4 years and what makes financial sense for me at that time.

I would 1000% not touch any of my TSLA shares to purchase any kind of vehicle, not even a fully loaded, decked-out CT. I have a long-term goal of holding Tesla and want to see the full potential of where this company will go. To me, it makes more sense to pay a couple of thousand dollars in interest for a loan than to lose out on what my future earnings will be over the next 10 years.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

Right now I’m buying a Model Y on a loan and adding to my savings (which includes TSLA), but I can afford to do both. We do have a pretty strict 1 car loan at a time policy in our household so when my number gets tapped I’ll have to make the choice of paying off the Y or paying cash for the CT.

The big question is whether you can afford the truck loan and what the interest rate is. At 2.5% interest, I’m willing to carry the car loan and invest in Tesla. If you have other debt (house payment, or god forbid… credit card debt), then it’s a tough call.

I got to a place a few years ago where I can quit work or get laid off and not sweat about it for 3-6 months at a stretch and I really love it. It’s pretty hard to get to that place if you embrace debt. Honestly… just having the one payment bugs me, but it’s tolerable because in a really bad pinch I can tap my IRA.

EDIT: As a side-note, if you don’t have a healthy separate retirement fund, I would strongly urge you to use that Cybertruck savings account as the seed for your retirement account.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Right now I’m buying a Model Y on a loan and adding to my savings (which includes TSLA), but I can afford to do both. We do have a pretty strict 1 car loan at a time policy in our household so when my number gets tapped I’ll have to make the choice of paying off the Y or paying cash for the CT.

The big question is whether you can afford the truck loan and what the interest rate is. At 2.5% interest, I’m willing to carry the car loan and invest in Tesla. If you have other debt (house payment, or god forbid… credit card debt), then it’s a tough call.

I got to a place a few years ago where I can quit work or get laid off and not sweat about it for 3-6 months at a stretch and I really love it. It’s pretty hard to get to that place if you embrace debt. Honestly… just having the one payment bugs me, but it’s tolerable because in a really bad pinch I can tap my IRA.
I agree with you....in 2006 I had 11k in savings, a mortgage, car payment and small credit card debit.....my new job then was great......I doubled my salary with the move, to San Jose, but wife wanted to stay in Irvine......with 3 houses, (2 rentals) and an apartment in Santa Clara, we managed to pay off car in year (2008 Lexus GS350 and 2007 ES350) and I started putting all my bonuses into savings......I put into 401k the max over 12 months because I could get company match for 12 months and I also added 5k for catch-up......wife put in the same which enables us to max out.....

In 2014 I retired little early......had approximately 250k and 150k in 401k's. and 275k in savings.......I was scared to death because we never had a family budget since we were married.....was not sure we would have enough money to live the same lifestyle.......because the market was strong, and I was getting over 44k and 15k in dividends each year that we reinvested, we have over 675k in 401k after taking out $4500 each month....we have more now than we had when we retired.........the growth and dividends have enable me to purchase Tesla and apple well before the split......currently have 175 shares at 275 cost per share......so Tesla stock will be a continuing part of my plans......

as said before, does one sell stock to buy CT3 or take a loan.....I just hate to owe money on a depreciating asset but I think the interest paid on a 40k loan is well worth the advancement in the stock and appreciating value of the 401k's........surely my wife and I are very fortunate and have been blessed......I want to pass this on to my son and grandchildren but at the same time want to take care of my wife and live a good life for the next 20 yrs......

I do think everyone has a different goal and way of like......if one can afford to start saving and investing for the future before 35, then do so at a rate you won't miss the money.....the best thing I did was have funds taken out of my check.....the old "out of sight..out of mind" mentality......I never noticed the money not there, but a good feeling when I got the quarterly reports.....my story is probably way different than others, because I stated so late......so start early and not worry about the future.....good luck to all

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
the best thing I did was have funds taken out of my check.....the old "out of sight..out of mind" mentality......I never noticed the money not there, but a good feeling when I got the quarterly reports.....my story is probably way different than others, because I stated so late......so start early and not worry about the future.....good luck to all
This, plus matching from your employer is huge. People who don’t take advantage of employer 401k matching are just kissing money away. I also made a pretty fair chunk on employee stock purchases. Doesn’t have to be a great stock if you get a 15% discount on every purchase. Turn around and sell it after a year for a guaranteed 15%+ return…

One other thing… if you do a 401K from work, transfer that money into a IRA you can control ASAP. Most 401Ks have truly mediocre investment options.

We haven’t retired yet. I’m not quite sure how to deal with medical care and I still kind of enjoy my work. We’re both healthy, but who knows what’ll pop up in the years between now and Medicare eligibility. Spending $800/ month on healthcare is just a little revolting to me.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This, plus matching from your employer is huge. People who don’t take advantage of employer 401k matching are just kissing money away. I also made a pretty fair chunk on employee stock purchases. Doesn’t have to be a great stock if you get a 15% discount on every purchase. Turn around and sell it after a year for a guaranteed 15%+ return…

One other thing… if you do a 401K from work, transfer that money into a IRA you can control ASAP. Most 401Ks have truly mediocre investment options.

We haven’t retired yet. I’m not quite sure how to deal with medical care and I still kind of enjoy my work. We’re both healthy, but who knows what’ll pop up in the years between now and Medicare eligibility. Spending $800/ month on healthcare is just a little revolting to me.
my 401k allows me to change funds with the company offered funds at will......if I rollover to IRA, I cant get the same funds.......too old to try and find a new fund that pays over 43K in dividends each year....same with my wife...

as for health.......we chose Medicare......its 148.50 each per month......we got a supplemental plan G for 155 and 153....so our monthly health care is ~$600 per month.......our drugs are 17.20 and 27.25 per month.....this is way lower than the job I had......I was paying over 950 per month while working with tremendous deductibles.......with our medicare and plan g all deductibles are paid after a $184 annual deductible......PPO providers and great hospitals......take look at medicare and plan g.......too many people are finding out too late, that their "all inclusive plans are not so all inclusive......most are HMO plans and the PPO are very costly.....I like choosing my doctor and hospital.....

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
my 401k allows me to change funds with the company offered funds at will......if I rollover to IRA, I cant get the same funds.......too old to try and find a new fund that pays over 43K in dividends each year....same with my wife...

as for health.......we chose Medicare......its 148.50 each per month......we got a supplemental plan G for 155 and 153....so our monthly health care is ~$600 per month.......our drugs are 17.20 and 27.25 per month.....this is way lower than the job I had......I was paying over 950 per month while working with tremendous deductibles.......with our medicare and plan g all deductibles are paid after a $184 annual deductible......PPO providers and great hospitals......take look at medicare and plan g.......too many people are finding out too late, that their "all inclusive plans are not so all inclusive......most are HMO plans and the PPO are very costly.....I like choosing my doctor and hospital.....
I’m a few years shy of Medicare eligibility or I’d do that as well. That’s my big problem at the moment.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Little more info:

My TSLA investments are just Robinhood play around investments. I'm not talking about my Roth IRA or 401k. They are both healthy and will not be touched until I retire.

My Robinhood account at this moment is $8,800. Mostly but not completely TSLA. I've been saving up for CT in hopes of having enough to pay cash for it. I put some of that money in TSLA via Robinhood. . I was afraid to invest it all (he says while kicking himself).

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Or like ours, actively bad and false advertising. You know who's buying those bad options? The investor funds that our 401k is allowed to select.

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Or like ours, actively bad and false advertising. You know who's buying those bad options? The investor funds that our 401k is allowed to select.

-Crissa
I was lucky.....wife transferred to IRA and she has same funds....she can take out at anytime with tax deductions or defer them.....change funds and all with no fees......I need to keep mine with company because of funds available.....all in all, good program for us......

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Stock price up 80% this month. Time for a stonk split!!!
Sponsored