Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
With the climate controls in the back, perhaps we load the water, heat it up, and have ourselves a traveling hot tub.

Just need a flux capacitor and you'd have a hot tub time machine! :cool:
Ahh yes. My bad. A time-traveling hot tub. I look forward to the day.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Use water instead of rocks. Fill it up on top of the hill and then have remote release to let it out whilst driving along when you get down. Water will make its way down the hill anyway might as well use the hydro power... :p
Just don't fill the bed up too much! If you fill the whole bed up, that's approximately 426 gallons.. Or 3,600lbs of water. That's with an assumed 2ft high bed. It might be deeper! Throw in some full grown adults in your impromptu hot tub and now you've really maxed out your payload capacity.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I actually was wondering how sealed the bed tailgate would be and up to what level. Obviously it has to be waterproof when it is left open, and no water is allowed to collect in the vault cover roll up space. Which means it would have to drain sommewhere too. Hopefully theres some bungs in there too so we can still use it as an amphibious vehicle. Maybe they'll have a bilge pump? :unsure:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
On the one side it all sounds preposterous to have a hot tub in the back, but it might be a viable option to have. The only thing I don't like is that it will not play nice with the power plugs in the back. You wouldn't be able to fill it of course either to stay within payload, and not loose it all while you drive. But you could possibly run the heat through a heat exchanger on the HVAC. Dunno.... still sounds dumb, but some people love them hot tubs.

On using water to go downhill, sadly not that much in it 1000kg of water down 500m only gives you 4.9MJ or about 1.36kWh. ☹

But on the amphibious vehicle side of things, to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it was, or at a minimum someone could make it float. A kit with a bilge pump for the frunk, cabin and bed. inflatable door seals for the frunk, cabin doors and tailgate, a couple of sensors to monitor water level (would be good to have for water fording anyway - maybe vision based? Only software then) and then a little 8kW "troll" motor on the rear hitch plugged into the inverter output, with electric steering. (You can get them off the shelf at the troll store) ?

Or just chuck one of these in the under bed storage:
Tesla Cybertruck 610 miles of range for Cybertruck - is it for real? 1626232080917

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
On the one side it all sounds preposterous to have a hot tub in the back, but it might be a viable option to have. The only thing I don't like is that it will not play nice with the power plugs in the back. You wouldn't be able to fill it of course either to stay within payload, and not loose it all while you drive. But you could possibly run the heat through a heat exchanger on the HVAC. Dunno.... still sounds dumb, but some people love them hot tubs.

On using water to go downhill, sadly not that much in it 1000kg of water down 500m only gives you 4.9MJ or about 1.36kWh. ☹

But on the amphibious vehicle side of things, to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it was, or at a minimum someone could make it float. A kit with a bilge pump for the frunk, cabin and bed. inflatable door seals for the frunk, cabin doors and tailgate, a couple of sensors to monitor water level (would be good to have for water fording anyway - maybe vision based? Only software then) and then a little 8kW "troll" motor on the rear hitch plugged into the inverter output, with electric steering. (You can get them off the shelf at the troll store) ?

Or just chuck one of these in the under bed storage:
1626232080917.png
Looks like a job for Phil Swift

https://flexsealproducts.com/blogs/phil-swift

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You will only get 610 miles effective range when going down hill with a tail wind. Under those circumstances you will get 300 miles towing range too. But it will be rare indeed that you get 610 miles effective range and it won't be over 300 miles.

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
One thing that is going to be nice about the Crims is that they are going to quieter. The PMSRM's are actually pretty noisy in comparison to an IM.
You guys seem to know all there is to know about electric motors. I have a question. I won't live long enough to wear out a motor on my Tesla but what do you think a rebuilt motor will cost? Assuming a core trade and without considering installation. (unless it can only be done at a dealership/service center)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You guys seem to know all there is to know about electric motors. I have a question. I won't live long enough to wear out a motor on my Tesla but what do you think a rebuilt motor will cost? Assuming a core trade and without considering installation. (unless it can only be done at a dealership/service center)
Most likely they will fail quickly or last for decades. In the case of the former, hopefully warrantee. If it lasts decades, it will likely be a scrap yard part. (Assuming whatever mess this planet is in when it happens still has scrap yards)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You guys seem to know all there is to know about electric motors.
Yes, I know a whole lot about this stuff.

“The more I know, the more I realize I know nothing.” - Socrates
I have a question. I won't live long enough to wear out a motor on my Tesla but what do you think a rebuilt motor will cost? Assuming a core trade and without considering installation. (unless it can only be done at a dealership/service center)
I expect it is going to be expensive. As Musk revealed when he introduced these at the Plaid reveal the rotor requires special equipment for winding the carbon filament. Beyond that it is made by injecting molten copper into a mold and this requires special molds which can tolerate the high temperatures (most motors of this type use cast aluminum).

If it it is the more usual type of repair, rewinding the stator, then my concerns would be with the very tight gap these motors rely on for their high flux.

I don't think we will be taking these motors to Joe's Electric and Taxidermy for repair.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't think we will be taking these motors to Joe's Electric and Taxidermy for repair.
There are lots of after market Tesla modifiers and repair companies already.

In 10 years they will be even more common and there will be a lot of donor trucks for scrap parts. It's likely the same motors will be used on other Teslas, or they will be able to use one from a newer model.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I actually was wondering how sealed the bed tailgate would be and up to what level. Obviously it has to be waterproof when it is left open, and no water is allowed to collect in the vault cover roll up space. Which means it would have to drain sommewhere too. Hopefully theres some bungs in there too so we can still use it as an amphibious vehicle. Maybe they'll have a bilge pump? :unsure:
I throw a lot of stuff in my truck bed and stuff happens. Bags of concrete break, if you load up mulch, it gets everywhere. I wouldn't want seals on the gate because I know they would get torn up. Almost every time I wash my truck I have to sweep out the bed and there is a surprising amount of debris. If I took a picture of my truck bed right now you would laugh. my neighbor was moving out and I knew they were struggling to get the trash out so I told them to just throw any trash in my truck and I would take it and dump it. Its piled 5' high with junk.

Ideally, when the gate is down there will be a gap to allow debris to be swept onto the ground and it wont get trapped in any hinges or covers. Even if they try to put some kind of cover to span the joint between the bed and the truck when the gate is down that cover is going to get all sorts of junk in it. The bed needs to be designed crazy simple to get debris out simply and quickly.

People keep saying an amphibious vehicle. If I recall correctly Elon said it would float for a while, which applies to most vehicles. Maybe the CT will be sealed better and have more thought put into penetrations in the cab, but I am extremely doubtful that the truck will come with any warranty in regards to its ability to float. I also very much doubt that a rolling grill covering the vault will be sealed enough to take any water head pressure. So if the vault cover goes under water my guess is that it will leak. I just ran some quick numbers and at 6500 lbs. it would need to displace about 105 cubic feet of water to float. The footprint of the vehicle is about 125 sf. So with those big tires and a well sealed cab it definitely could float and the bottom of the truck would probably sit about 1' below the water surface.

I would be curious to learn how the CT will bring in outside air. Most cars/trucks have an intake right above the hood by the windshield but the CT seems to not have one there.
Sponsored