Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
This was a very good analysis of the Ford F-150 Lightning and the issues Ford faces.

For me the lack of batteries will be Ford’s biggest issue. Tesla needs more, they build their on factories and buy even more from their suppliers. Where is Ford going to get the batteries?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This was posted before and I’ll say the same thing here.

The whole point of Tesla is to encourage electrification of the industry. It’s clearly working. Even if the F150 is not as good as the Cybertruck, it’s a great sign things are going the way they should.

The F150 is Ford’s freshman/ softmore EV offering. I suspect many people will buy even this initial F150 and love it. In a lot of ways it is a fabulous truck for craftsmen. I fully expect they launch it and see what it’s limits are and release a better version next year.

We really don’t need to talk trash about the competition for the Cybertruck to kick ass.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
The Lightning is for fashion lemmings who can't handle the idea of not being just like their bros.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I have watched a couple of Sandy Munro videos concerning the difference in the engineering and manufacturing between Ford and Tesla. Munro worked for Ford for several years and understands how a legacy automaker works.
The Lightning is over engineered and complicated and aimed at Fords core buyers of light and heavy duty pick up trucks. Those "truck guys" that want a Ford Truck that looks like all the other Ford trucks. The fact that Ford has been losing market share in the pickup truck battle is not lost on Munro.
I suggest you check out his videos on the difference between the cooling and wiring systems in both brands.
Ford is lost in the past and is selling the electrics at a loss in order to build up a base and get the trucks out there where the public can see them. I'm sure they will continue to build electrics but I'm not sure they will get much better at it.
Tesla has pre-orders for more trucks than Ford could build in four or five years. Ford is building electrics in the same factories they are building ICE trucks in. They are using a lot of vendors (as they have done in the past).
Tesla will build the CT in a factory that was designed to build nothing but electric vehicles and builds as many components in house as possible. They will eventually build all their batteries in house.
Fords software leaves a lot to be desired while Tesla has hired the best and brightest software developers they can find. Ford waits for chips.....Tesla finds work arounds and writes new code so they can adapt available chips to keep producing vehicles. You take Fords into a dealership for a software update.......Tesla updates your software while your car is sitting somewhere.
Most of the vehicles Tesla will build between now and the end of the year are, or will be sold before they are built. They make money on every vehicle they put out the door.
If you followed the talking heads that dissected the Tesla earnings call you know that Tesla is on track to become one of the worlds wealthiest companies if they continue the growth trend they are in now.
I get that the objective is to get EV's mainstream and to gradually eliminate ICE vehicles when possible.......time and progress wait for no man. If that helps the planet that's great.
Competition is a good thing and drives development and new innovation.
Tesla certainly has the resources to buy out some of the smaller competition if they wanted to but in the end building better and cheaper EV's will cull the herd.
My prediction is that EV's will go through the same growth and reduction cycle that the legacy automakers went through. In the 40's there were many car and truck manufacturers. Those were gradually whittled down to the Big Three for economic and other reasons. The ones that didn't adapt to the fickle consumers were left on the ash heap of industrial history.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla has pre-orders for more trucks than Ford could build in four or five years
It seems like Tesla has pre-orders for more trucks than Tesla can build in four or five years.

If the slow rollout of the Mach E is any indication, it would take Ford about 15-20 years to work through Tesla’s pre-order roll.
Sponsored