Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I commend you for being so patient. (No sarcasm)
Ehh, everyone can't know everything. People have to be plenty patient with me. I've been in online forums since the days of alternet and newsgroups. I've been booted for being beligerant like ajdelange and blunt like LDRHAWKE. Back when we could only have a few characters for a name I was CmdrSpiff on EF-Net. That was twenty-five years ago!

I've learned alot since then, and it's only right I try to give back and try to keep learning ^-^

https://xkcd.com/1053/

-Crissa
Sponsored

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Tesla also needs to build the mines and refining capacity before they build more Gigafactories. There isn't even enough supply line for the Austin facility yet!

Where and when did he say that?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rges-as-tesla-boosts-production-idUSKCN24O0RV

https://www.mining-technology.com/news/tesla-new-patent-lithium-extraction/ (photo from battery day when he announced i

Sorry….Elon never said that. Actually neither of those articles say lithium or nickel are in short supply. They are not. They are estimating future demand. . Both of those mineral markets have an over supply and prices dropped dramatically during 2021. New mines coming on line shut down because prices were dropping below the cost to mine. The price of lithium dropped nearly 75% in values in the middle of 2021.

Lithium prices plummeted in 2019, as the market tipped into oversupply and EV growth slowed. Production of the battery metal is set to almost triple by 2025 to more than 1.5 million metric tons, but there are concerns that a fall in upstream investment could flip the market into undersupply further out.

The good part for Tesla and us is that the price of the Cybertruck was based on 2019 lithium being nearly 4 times higher before it bottom out. I imagine Musk signed some great long term Tesla mineral supply deals when the markets hit bottom and continued to buy as it has surged back up to the ordinal price in the last month on which the Cybertruck batteries cost was based. I will bet Tesla ha made huge profits on paper based on this dip.

As far as getting a patent on using salt to improve cost and reduce environmental chemical damage is great. But, I think it should have been obvious because the uniqueness of the higher grade of lithium that comes from Chile is in part because it is minded from salt beds.

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
South America is the next logical place for Tesla EV production.
As a democracy project? Maybe…

Cartagena or Barranquilla Columbia if there is waterfront port accommodations for parking huge numbers of Teslas awaiting shipping.

Mexico maquiladora stands to win the next Giga factory after Austin is up and running.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Based on today’s new standards for poverty..I will bet few of us on this list did not grow up in poverty. I know I did.
Not a lot of true "poverty" here in the US. But we've built a system where it is extremely difficult to be poor. Not "Poverty", just poor.

Most of the jobs are in the cities, most of the cities have very high rent, most cities are build with the assumption that you have a reliable car. If you live outside the city in the places where houses are more affordable, you are driving even more. Public transportation mostly sucks, it's only marginally reliable most places, huge areas are underserved, and for those who are broke, it's expensive to boot.

Bankruptcy "reform" largely serves the credit company and has made it so credit companies are comfortable offering ridiculous rates to people who have no business borrowing. We've structures much of our social services so that when people do get jobs they are quickly disqualified from benefits so for many it's just easier to stay unemployed.

A lot of this is solved in Europe, but the basic stuff which would fix much of it is somehow impossible to accomplish with our political system even though where it is clearly less expensive than maintaining the status quo.

Not trying to push any ideas in particular. Just frustrated at the current state.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
A lot of these people will be low income types (and maybe low IQ types) but as the number of EVs increases and the demand for gasoline and diesel wans the price of fuel will go up.
It will be hard to justify ten buck a gallon gas or diesel.
Big Oil will cut production and as we all know when the supply tightens the price goes up.
Pipelines and distribution costs (trucking fuel to the stations) will not get any cheaper and will have a direct effect on price. Truckers still have to be paid.
It would be ironic to have Tesla semis delivering gas and diesel.
States may also increase the fuel tax to make up for lost revenue which will further increase the price of dino juice. Of course they may jack up fees for registering an EV too.
At some point the even the most obtuse EV resistors will be priced out of ICE ownership.
MOST money to be made in petrol distribution is in transportation truck that hauls it.(4%)

To wit: Convenience Stores. To wit: Restaurants LOL

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
By the time they realize only rich people can afford vehicles powered by ICE, it will be too late.
This is why I think the $25k hatch and the Cybertruck are the most interesting Tesla cars.

If Tesla does get a $25k sedan, that's $17,500 with the rebate. Not exactly putting wheels under the impoverished, but it lowers the bar a lot. It will also completely crush the used car market. Right now a used Bolt EV sells for around $20k... unless the Tesla is *really tiny*, it's going to be in the same basic size category as the Bolt. Likewise the i3, Leaf, etc.

And since used EVs are so much more reliable than their used ICE counterparts, you now have a regular source of reliable, affordable EVs.

The Cybertruck at $33k does some pretty weird things to the truck/ big SUV market.

Obviously a lot of this stuff is 5-10 years down the road (just the wait until you can get these cars!!), but interesting things ahead.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

Cartagena or Barranquilla Columbia if there is waterfront port accommodations for parking huge numbers of Teslas awaiting shipping.

Mexico maquiladora stands to win the next Giga factory after Austin is up and running.
Brazil.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

Yes, please Mexico factory soon with battery plant.

We have lithium deposits too and need to make tons of Megapack to store all the solar energy we have coming in everyday.

I want my Cybertruck to be made domestically!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yes, please Mexico factory soon with battery plant.

We have lithium deposits too and need to make tons of Megapack to store all the solar energy we have coming in everyday.

I want my Cybertruck to be made domestically!
Plus Musk needs to secure suppliers for Teslaquila.

For some reason I hadn't noticed you were from Mexico previously (I'm kind of oblivious to those little flags). How hard would it be to import yours if you weren't able to take delivery in Mexico?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Sorry….Elon never said that. Actually...
Oh for eff sake, read the article about nickel, please.

He says they will be supply constrained, but the supply is out there, just needs to be extracted.

Most of the jobs are in the cities, most of the cities have very high rent, most cities are build with the assumption that you have a reliable car. If you live outside the city in the places where houses are more affordable, you are driving even more. Public transportation mostly sucks, it's only marginally reliable most places, huge areas are underserved, and for those who are broke, it's expensive to boot.
Yeah, if we actually built as much urban housing as people wanted, it wouldn't be so expensive. And mass transit wouldn't suck so much.

Literally there are guys standing in the way of us putting an electric trolly on the tracks that exist in our county today. Like, why? ??‍♀

-Crissa

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah, if we actually built as much urban housing as people wanted, it wouldn't be so expensive. And mass transit wouldn't suck so much.

Literally there are guys standing in the way of us putting an electric trolly on the tracks that exist in our county today. Like, why?
I have "ideas", but I was trying to keep out of policy discussions and just vent a little.
Sponsored