Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450h, Model S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Isn't that what the Austin complex is?

-Crissa
Yeah but….how are they gonna move 5000 vehicles a day off premises? Look at the issues Shang hai is having. I can only guess 5 Boring tunnels filled with FSD cars operating autonomously?
Sponsored

NASCARRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
With such high demand, it seems almost like a good idea to build a new U.S.-based giga-factory just for Cybertruck or any other exo-skeleton Cyber vehicles. The demand for Model Y is yet to be fulfilled, there is such a strong demand to start CT production. Thoughts?

Makes sense as they could use the same process for the van

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah but….how are they gonna move 5000 vehicles a day off premises? Look at the issues Shang hai is having. I can only guess 5 Boring tunnels filled with FSD cars operating autonomously?
Likely production will be 10,000-15,000/ week.

So 2,000 - 3,000 per day.

That's kind of mind boggling. I suspect they will be loading them on semis on site. That's still 170 trucks per day!

A tunnel to the rail yard would be ideal. Seems expensive for a single purpose thing.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
With such high demand, it seems almost like a good idea to build a new U.S.-based giga-factory just for Cybertruck or any other exo-skeleton Cyber vehicles. The demand for Model Y is yet to be fulfilled, there is such a strong demand to start CT production. Thoughts?
I have been saying this for a year.....Tesla does not have enough factory capacity in the US.....even with GigaTexas.

Freemont and GigaTexas are not enough.

AND, if they start trying to nail down a site, and then get site plans approved, etc it will be Spring before they can start the bulldozers. Which means, best case factory Giga#3 won't be done until Fall of 2023.

A new factory (GigaTulsa?) to help meet demand will be great...but Fall 2023 doesn't help me get a Cybertruck now.

Start working on another factory!

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Why not wait for the Austin factory to open, get up to full time production and then determine the need? Seems cart before the horse with that proposition. If the need is there Tesla could expand the facility they already have on the 2500+ acres of property.
The lead time is so long for building a factory, just getting the land assembled, site plans approved by the local government and closing on the land takes a long time. Then you need a year and a half to build the factory. So, if they start TODAY trying to do GigaTulsa? or GigaSouthCarolina? it will be 2 years before that factory comes on line.

Start now. Then in Fall 2023 you will have another factory to ramp more production.
In the meantime you can work on the battery supply and materials constraints.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Okay, they don't need another factory until Austin is operating.

The place is so large, they may not need another for many years.

It doesn't matter if they make 5000 cars a day there or 10000, it's attached to a freeway with four onramps, which can accommodate over twenty thousand vehicles a day. Each vehicle could be a worker or bus... or a semi hold five Cybertrucks. So one on-ramp without backup can handle 100,000 Cybertrucks piled on auto carrier semis per day.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have been saying this for a year.....Tesla does not have enough factory capacity in the US.....even with GigaTexas.
They are likely already considering sites for their next factory.

They only have a certain amount of critical staffing bandwidth and liquid capital for managing projects of this scale. Starting a new factory when you don't have the people who are good at building factories in place is likely to end up with trouble.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
They are likely already considering sites for their next factory.

They only have a certain amount of critical staffing bandwidth and liquid capital for managing projects of this scale. Starting a new factory when you don't have the people who are good at building factories in place is likely to end up with trouble.
I agree. The key is to get the Texas Giga Factory up and operating and the bugs worked out on making the castings, then you have a proven solid working plant model to rapidly move forward if the market shows the demand. I would guess that to be 3 to 6 months.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Each vehicle could be a worker or bus... or a semi hold five Cybertrucks.
Or... it could be a customer leaving with their Cybertruck they picked up from the factory. They could have a daily airport shuttle service, give a factory tour, then you drive away with your car. Don't even have to worry about if the paint is dry.

I know... much discussed topic.

crazy_tesla_friend

First Name
Jomy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, i3
Country flag
If they could produce enough cars to keep up with current demand, they could just start producing the Model Y SR again. That drops the entry price of the Model Y by $7,000 which is a pretty big jump into the affordability range.
It would make more sense to build an East coast factory for the model Y.

crazy_tesla_friend

First Name
Jomy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, i3
Country flag
According to one of the Tesla talking heads on YouTube there is not enough income in India (population yes, income no) to warrant a plant there. Average income there is $3,168.00 per year.
Giga Berlin can send cars to India.......mayhaps the 25K model we are hearing about for the more affluent Indians. .
South America is the next logical place for Tesla EV production.
Tesla India should focus on busses and e-bikes.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
FSD will eventually be the delivery system right? Look at how simple that would make it. Have the vehicle arrive at your house and wait for you to sign the delivery agreement before releasing the vehicle.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
FSD will eventually be the delivery system right? Look at how simple that would make it. Have the vehicle arrive at your house and wait for you to sign the delivery agreement before releasing the vehicle.
I’d prefer my truck come with 5 miles on the odometer, not 1500! Texas is a long drive.

Though maybe they roll it off the car hauler on the train and it drives the last 10-20 miles. I’d be alright with that.

I expect unattended FSD will be at least 3-5 years out. Hopefully we all have our trucks by then.
Sponsored