Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
If Matt's Morvair can't go straight up that mountain, there's zero chance a Hummer will be able to.

I'm amazed that the critics of that driver, indicate they pore over road maps, satellite maps, Street view maps, and contour maps, and zoom in to the most detailed photos of every inch of every road before you ever drive through a new area. That would make road trips unbearable to me, even driving to a new neighborhood across town would take immense effort... Obviously, the driver made some mistakes, but the self righteousness of the critics is a bit hard to swallow...
Sponsored

CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
Google maps is funny. I came upon this warning sign a couple months ago and had to find another route. This was after debating for 10 miles about whether I should continue trying this dirt road. Sad thing was that after making the one hour detour back to the correct road I remembered that I had tried this Google shortcut once before from the other side. It took me right over the top of the highest mountain in the area, way above the snow line. Luckily my Subaru made it though. That was an adventure! Well worth the extra 2 hours.??

Tesla Cybertruck Aftermarket rock / skid plate? Resized_20211006_152703_9358

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, Google is a source of maps. Then I have the GPS in the car. Then I generally get one from the forest service or park service, if it's their land. And I use plat maps or GISWeb maps if I'm going off the street. Lastly, you can ask people, source books and specialty maps.

Three to four of those I can get sitting in my car.

Isn't looking at a map half the fun?

-Crissa

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I'm amazed that the critics of that driver, indicate they pore over road maps, satellite maps, Street view maps, and contour maps, and zoom in to the most detailed photos of every inch of every road before you ever drive through a new area.
I am criticizing the company by not providing the details learned when installing the tower while allowing a process of a single person to service With inadequate information.

The driver was probably on the phone this road does not look right and the supervisor saying, it’s fine, everyone makes it safely.

The question now, what steps should be taken to not allow the same occurrence occurring at that tower and other towers?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Google maps is funny. I came upon this warning sign a couple months ago and had to find another route. This was after debating for 10 miles about whether I should continue trying this dirt road. Sad thing was that after making the one hour detour back to the correct road I remembered that I had tried this Google shortcut once before from the other side. It took me right over the top of the highest mountain in the area, way above the snow line. Luckily my Subaru made it though. That was an adventure! Well worth the extra 2 hours.??

Resized_20211006_152703_9358.jpeg
People have died doing this.

There is a road (which was right in the middle of the Caldor fire this year) called Mormon Emigrant Trail which goes from Polluck Pines to right about Thunder Mountain/ Kirkwood Ski Resort. It is one of the few routes north/ south (ish) from the Highway 50 corridor to Highway 88. Several mapping apps and GPSs route people through it, but in the winter time it is not plowed or maintained and there are often motorists that get stranded.

There is also the story of the Kim family which happened just a little south of here. They made a wrong turn and their GPS instead of saying “STOP, turn around you will die” blissfully rerouted them deeper into the mountains.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There is also the story of the Kim family which happened just a little south of here. They made a wrong turn and their GPS instead of saying “STOP, turn around you will die” blissfully rerouted them deeper into the mountains.
Apparently that's an urban myth, they were using a paper map.

I also mentioned it, too!
Not double-checking the route and not backing out is how people get killed, though.

This can happen instead:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Kim#Death

I grew up in Gold Beach and we took that route only once after leaving White City with directions given by truck drivers who had just taken that route.

Always try to get info from someone who's taken the route recently. Never trust a single map. With computer maps making it so easy to duplicate mistakes... I usually try to get three to four.
-Crissa

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 & Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
artist
Country flag
It would be nice to have the ability to bolt on a temporary heavy-duty rock plate underneath, mostly just in the center section which is most vulnerable to high centering.

Some of the back roads I visit for hunting or to cut fire wood are rough and rocky. We don't call them roads; they are "rocky 2-tracks". I can't even find a photo for you because they are the kind of road where you need to pay attention to the rocks as you crawl thru them in places. Don't want to accidentally damage the battery pack.

In other words, from the factory it would be good to have appropriate places to bolt on an aftermarket rock plate (or plates).

You could leave on, or possibly use a floor jack to remove when you don't need.

Thanks.
I believe elon said the entire bottom plate will be the 30x stainless steel as well

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Well, Google is a source of maps. Then I have the GPS in the car. Then I generally get one from the forest service or park service, if it's their land. And I use plat maps or GISWeb maps if I'm going off the street. Lastly, you can ask people, source books and specialty maps.

Three to four of those I can get sitting in my car.

Isn't looking at a map half the fun?

-Crissa
Maps are good. But no matter how many I have, and sometimes it's zero, I always make sure I would be comfortable returning the same way I came (and have enough fuel to do so). This seems like it should be common sense, even to a 16-year-old fresh from the city.

What's even more amazing to me is that some people here are defending someone who drove their vehicle on an ATV path (obviously too narrow for a car) cut into loose soils on the side of a steep mountain with deadly exposure. Did he think it was a video game?

Marcia Litsinger

First Name
Marcia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Kia Nero hybrid, Cadillac Escalade.
Occupation
farmer
Country flag
I did some very light off-road stuff on my Model Y, the kind of thing where you get out of the car six times to keep your wheels on the taller rocks so you don’t drag the underside. (No I didn’t drive straight over these rocks)

Ready for something which can do this kind of stuff on autopilot and bigger stuff with some planning.

1637081412455.jpeg

1637081364809.jpeg

1637081373873.jpeg
My driveway.
Sponsored