First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
<tldr>
Since airless tires have no air, are they less useful on a CT if you are going off-roading or over-landing where tires are often softened by letting air out in order to get more grip on rocky surfaces?
</tldr>

So for years I have liked the idea of airless tires and really wished some company would start mass producing them. But hey, I currently drive a Toyota Sienna and kept having to buy new tires because the run flats kept wearing out so quickly.

So I put my order in for a CT. And immediately thought it would be great to have airless tires. One less issue (flats) to deal with. And as I have been dreaming of ways to utilize my CT I've been dreaming of off-roading and over-landing. Not that I have any experience in that area but I am hoping to get started with my CT. At which point it dawned on me. In many of the videos and training sites I've seen for learning to safely drive off road, people are letting air out of their tires to soften them for more grip over large rocks. But if I have airless tires on the CT then this technique would be unavailable. So it seems like for a vehicle like the CT, airless tires would be less useful unless it was exclusively being used on paved roads.... Am I needing to give up on airless tires?
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
airless tires are a great idea, but unfortunately not for vehicles moving at high speeds right now. If you go for a drive on the highway and feel your tires after, you'll notice that they get pretty warm. The air in the tire actually helps to reduce the amount of heat that stays in the tire. There are companies that have been working towards airless tires for quite a while and it would be nice if they can make it work. The benefits of airless tires would be a step towards lowering the cost of owning a vehicle.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
If you go for a drive on the highway and feel your tires after, you'll notice that they get pretty warm. The air in the tire actually helps to reduce the amount of heat that stays in the tire....
The benefits of airless tires would be a step towards lowering the cost of owning a vehicle.
Isn’t that why nitrogen-filled tires are a thing?
Me? I’m a big airless tire fan. I believe high speed airless tires are around the corner, but like the Cybertruck, their unconventional appearance will be a hinder an end to wide scale acceptance.

Anchor

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Me? I’m a big airless tire fan. I believe high speed airless tires are around the corner, but like the Cybertruck, their unconventional appearance will be a hinder an end to wide scale acceptance.
Nitrogen is used in tires because the nitrogen diffuses through the tire walls at a lower rate than oxygen, so you don't have to add air to your tires as often.

Dan S Brown

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Z4-Toyota 4 runner
Occupation
Retired Paramedic
Country flag
airless tires are a great idea, but unfortunately not for vehicles moving at high speeds right now. If you go for a drive on the highway and feel your tires after, you'll notice that they get pretty warm. The air in the tire actually helps to reduce the amount of heat that stays in the tire. There are companies that have been working towards airless tires for quite a while and it would be nice if they can make it work. The benefits of airless tires would be a step towards lowering the cost of owning a vehicle.
Hi, both Michelin and Brigestone are making airless tires. They are being tested on a fleet of longhaul trucks and are used at over 70 miles an hour.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Nitrogen molecules are relatively large, so air seepage would be reduced. But only 20% of the air you breath is nitrogen, so any benefit would be minor.

Question: When your tires need replacing, apparently you have to stick with original equipment. Why? If you drive easy, what would be the problem with low-cost replacements?

JETMECH

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 T100 4x4, 2012 Cadillac CTS Wagon, 3.6 AWD, 2018 Rad Mini E-bike
Occupation
Retired, A&P Mechanic/Techincal Conslutan
Country flag
Filling tires with nitrogen reduces expansion/contraction of the tire due extreme temperature changes. That why aircraft tires are filled and serviced with N1.

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Pre-ordered CT Tri Motor, F250, Toyota Tundra, Jeep Wrangler X, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Self employed Ice cream industry, Snow Plowing, Charter Fishing on the Great Lake Erie, Commercial Properties
Country flag
I have seen the airless tires. I need them to make a set for MS so we don't have to worry about flat tires on a road trip. I want airless tires for my CT also. I don't want to have to make room for a spare, Jack and 4 way lug wrench. I have not really looked. I have seem some articles on them. If they have airless tires for MS let me know and let me know if you have them on and how they are. Thanks

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I have seen the airless tires. I need them to make a set for MS so we don't have to worry about flat tires on a road trip. I want airless tires for my CT also. I don't want to have to make room for a spare, Jack and 4 way lug wrench. I have not really looked. I have seem some articles on them. If they have airless tires for MS let me know and let me know if you have them on and how they are. Thanks
Something i've done in the past when I had a flat, a spare, and no jack was use the air suspension which should be possible on the Cybertruck. I put my car up with air suspension, placed a block where you would place a jack, then lowered the suspension. I don't know if this would be possible on the Cybertruck, maybe it won't lower the suspention for that wheel if the wheel is about to lift off the ground.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Ummm...because air costs so much?

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Do we even have mass produces airless tires for bicycles yet? Iv been wondering since I was a child why I have to keep fixing flats, at one point I stuffed old cut up sheets, I think it was, in the tire trying to make them.

And it worked!

Just kidding, it was like riding on wet spaghetti
Sponsored