All Parking Lots with more than 8 spots Should Have Solar Canopies and EV Chargers

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
If France can do it, so can we! A good idea, but I see no reason why we can’t cover Arizona nonetheless. It would be rolling in money so no complaints.
Not only rolling in the money but Arizonans would enjoy human-habitable temperatures by living in the shade year-round.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Not only rolling in the money but Arizonans would enjoy human-habitable temperatures by living in the shade year-round.
I didn't mean cover the whole state but the parking lots like France mandated. I assumer that [most] Arizonans don't live in parking lots :)

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I didn't mean cover the whole state but the parking lots like France mandated. I assumer that [most] Arizonans don't live in parking lots :)

Well, Arizonans should cover with solar panels their home roofs, business/factory/retail roofs, & solar canopy over long sidewalks too.

Cherokee180C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Cybertruck
Country flag
I guess you like paying $5 to park when you go grocery shopping, the mall, restaurants ? This would be the end to free parking everywhere. Just another way for them to tax the hell out of the little guy. Who is paying for the $200K or more to cover a Walmart parking lot? Sounds great until you think about the consequences.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I guess you like paying $5 to park when you go grocery shopping, the mall, restaurants ? This would be the end to free parking everywhere. Just another way for them to tax the hell out of the little guy. Who is paying for the $200K or more to cover a Walmart parking lot? Sounds great until you think about the consequences.
Paying for the tarmac that's increasing your local temperatures?

And that price is ridiculous. If a tenth of a walmart's customers used it, that's nearly two millions dollars a year. That's enough to pay for over a hundred new covered parking spaces a year - without counting the power!

-Crissa

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
seem like every school in my area has solar in the parking lots, getting harder and harder to find large open lots for our motorcycle training classes... i see a trend

Deleted member 3316

The more distributed and at work the better.
Yes!!

You need the solar where the car is parked most of the time during daylight hours.
Also yes!

Having solar at home doesn't help charge your car from solar, if your car is only home at night.
Well….Not necessarily, it depends on the market mechanism controlling the flow of those electrons. The market mechanisms are currently a product of the centralised generation that built the grid.

Going to a distributed generation system throws up some very complicated problems. Some people see this as a financially intractable problem. There are others that see this as an opportunity. A distributed energy grid has the potential to democratise the market.

Can anyone guess what Elons purchase of Twitter might have to do with this?

I’ll give you a hint, blockchain/crypto mining solar inverters…
This probably deserves a whole thread to itself…

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
If Walmart covers their parking lots in solar canopies how will we park our 12+ foot high RVs in the lot to spend the night while on the road? They'll have to jack them up to 14+ feet and the support beams will mean long vehicles will not be able to park in two consecutive spaces. This is currently true where parking lots have trees so I guess that part isn't much different.

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I guess you like paying $5 to park when you go grocery shopping, the mall, restaurants ? This would be the end to free parking everywhere.
There are many multi-story above ground parking garages.

There are a lot of grocery stores and malls that have multi-story parking garages and many of these are free to park or very low cost. Most were free and the few that charged the most I have ever paid was $2.

Solar panel canopies are much less expensive to build and can provide protection to vehicles, shade (cooling), if have reflexive ceiling need less energy at night for parking lot lights, and electrical energy ( for charger or power equipment in stores).

Here in sunny country of Mexico or if visiting Texas USA, if there are two similar grocery stores / retail malls and one had solar panel canopy and the other did not I would go to the one with solar.

Just another way for them to tax the hell out of the little guy. Who is paying for the $200K or more to cover a Walmart parking lot? Sounds great until you think about the consequences.
$200K would pay for itself.

Last edited:

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche on the weekends, diesel truck mon-fri
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
Factory Five Racing has a fairly large factory that runs the entire operation on solar, and even sells it back to the city.

Much like being against the legalization of pot... people that are against solar clearly haven't thought it all the way through.

Tesla Cybertruck All Parking Lots with more than 8 spots Should Have Solar Canopies and EV Chargers 1668456253317

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Factory Five Racing has a fairly large factory that runs the entire operation on solar, and even sells it back to the city.

Much like being against the legalization of pot... people that are against solar clearly haven't thought it all the way through.

1668456253317.png
Yup, good example.

https://www.factoryfive.com/

And the place is way up in Massachusetts USA. Not in sunny southern USA.

Cherokee180C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Cybertruck
Country flag

1668456253317.png
You guys have totally switched the discussion from mandated coverage of all parking lots to Factories choosing to install solar for their own use. Everyone knows solar has a payback of around 6 years depending on many local factors and is a good investment for a large user. Totally different discussion than all open parking lots should be covered with solar by legislation. And I am sorry, many, many millions of square ft of parking lots are owned by mom and pop shops that are struggling just to stay in business without mandated investments in solar for parking lots. Is the solar for transport or for the business? Should the Utility be forced to provide? Again, 100% guaranteed the end user will be forced to pay either directly with parking charges or indirectly with further inflation through increased prices at the business.

I can guarantee the current electrical infrastructure at the end of the line can not handle that volume of daytime peak generation capacity now. This is already a problem in the UK where they have had to limit local adoption on houses and the last guy in the neighborhood to get solar has to pay a massive infrastructure improvement fee to get.

This kind of change is much better handled by providing tax incentives to promote IMHO.

Deleted member 3316

I can guarantee the current electrical infrastructure at the end of the line can not handle that volume of daytime peak generation capacity now. This is already a problem in the UK where they have had to limit local adoption on houses and the last guy in the neighborhood to get solar has to pay a massive infrastructure improvement fee to get.

This kind of change is much better handled by providing tax incentives to promote IMHO.
This is a regulatory problem that has solutions, and yes mandatory imposition of infrastructure in private businesses is quite problematic.

The current grid (mostly) suits the current requirements, so yes future requirements will be different. Grid scale introduction of generation capacity in residential/ commercial areas will need planning but the sky won’t fall if Walmart carparks are covered in solar, because the regulations currently in place will manage the new generation capacity.

It’s not a “problem” in the UK. The grid had regulatory constraints that limit uncontrollable generation capacity, which is the same everywhere. Maximum residential solar installation for a single phase connection in Australia is 10kW.
Sponsored