Norwegian

First Name
Espen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Sharan, Audi A6 Quattro
Country flag
This is a fascinating topic, and it will be very interesting indeed to see the answer in a few years - who are the actual owners?

I have always bought sensible cars from a 'best value'-perspective, and currenty own two old diesels. One VW 7-seat minivan, which my wife puts 25000+ kms on per year, and one even older Audi Quattro that I got dirt cheap, which I drive about 20k km a year. I do all maintenance and repairs myself, and cost of ownership is more than offset by km reimbursement from our respective jobs. Kids are growing up, don't need the 7 seats, need some flexibility still for familiy trip luggage, hauling stuff, buying furniture etc.

I've wanted an EV for many years, but so far, nothing has quite fit the bill:
- Model S too big, too expensive even used, uncertain quality, service organization issues in Norway
- Model X even bigger and more expensive
- Model 3 too small and too low (wife enjoys the elevated seating in her minivan), shoddy paintwork, meh
- I-Pace way too expensive, range issues
- E-tron same as I-pace
- KIA Kona long waiting lists, uncertain quality, boring
etc etc

I also really really REALLY dislike rust. Parts I can change, rust and paint jobs just isn't a winning battle for me. I've considered the Audi A8 for its full aluminum body, massive engine (4,1 l diesel), air suspension and the Quattro system, but it is insanely complicated and computerwise a relic of the past, so not really going to happen.

I've been waiting for the model Y (but it will be made from painted steel, right?), as well as keeping an eye on the European manufacturers like Seat, Skoda, even the French (Peugeot, Renault, Citroen), but they are some years behind Tesla still. Particular on that intangible fun factor, the insane motors and the charger network. Volvo (Polestar 2) might fit the bill, but again, not available for a while.

Enter Cybertruck. Rust proof, dent proof, no paint, seats six, endless DRY luggage space, trailer hook, superior elevation, self drive - at a ridiculously low (admittedly just projected, for now) price of purchase AND ownership. WAY too big, and I would never in a million years even consider buying a pickup anyway, but the design was for me love at first sight, on top of ticking all the other boxes. I guess I'll just have to live with the 4 feet of extra car that I don't need.

And I can fit 5 girl hockey players AND all their gear, chuck in a couple of goalie bags on top, and comfortably reach all the competition's home arenas on one charge.

Oh, and I don't need an ATV either, be it E or ICE. But unless it is insanely overpriced I bet I'll order it. Just because!
Sponsored

AlexD

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 460LS, Model 3 dm, Mustang Boss 302, F150,
Occupation
retired Building Contractor
Country flag
I'm a plumber, ATM I drive a 1997 aluminium body step van set up to carry tools and materials. I like this truck, aluminium body trucks don't rust out, 350 gas motor has plenty of power, lots of room, you can stand in the van, 8 x 12 cargo area set up with drawers and interior pipe racks, everything is inside the truck, out of sight is the best way to control theft, step bumper on the back. Set up with three seats in the front, two are suppression seats. Down sides are noise, no AC, the windows and locks are weak, poor mileage ( about 10 MPG ), it's weak in the wind, drives like a pig, it cost a lot in fuel and repairs to keep it going, and it's old.

For years I've been joking Elon Musk should make a Tesla aluminum body step van. While the Cyber Trunk is not the step van it can pull a trailer. I could set up 6 x 12 trailer to carry tools and materials, and use the bed of the truck for tools and some materials for smaller jobs. Basically a service truck that can tow a trailer to a job and park it. The roll up door on the back and the drop down ramp is good for walking into the bed, set the back up with light weight racks and bins, carry short pieces of pipe inside the bed for small jobs. It could work as well as a conventional pickup truck, even better for people that just carry tools and very small parts and have materials delivered to the job. The bed closes to protect your tools and materials.

Stainless steel doesn't rust out, the top two models have all wheel drive, good for areas with ice. snow, and salt. The ability to power and charge tools is a big plus, you don't need a generator.

The questions I have are do the mileage numbers take into account payload, it can tow up to 10,000 lbs, but how far?

How about a Tesla cargo trailer with a Tesla roof that charges the car while construction workers work all day? Made from the same stainless steel as the car, smart GPS tracker built right in so the car always knows where the trailer is to control trailer theft.

So yeah I would buy one, out of the box just having a lettered Cyber truck would make people look and take notice. Climate change and all of that, and I do that that seriously, I live on the east coast and climate change is already affecting me. In forty years it's going to affect my children even more, and we have to act now ( within eight years ) to head that off.

I could buy the middle of the line cyber truck and keep the old step van, carry the tools in the cyber truck and just have materials on the old step van and park it on the job and lock it up, maybe take the battery out.

Best of both worlds, get rid of the old rusting out mini van I have as the family car and replace it with the cyber truck and claim a mileage deduction ( .59 a mile ) or buy it as a company vehicle and work it the other way.
I'm a plumber, ATM I drive a 1997 aluminium body step van set up to carry tools and materials. I like this truck, aluminium body trucks don't rust out, 350 gas motor has plenty of power, lots of room, you can stand in the van, 8 x 12 cargo area set up with drawers and interior pipe racks, everything is inside the truck, out of sight is the best way to control theft, step bumper on the back. Set up with three seats in the front, two are suppression seats. Down sides are noise, no AC, the windows and locks are weak, poor mileage ( about 10 MPG ), it's weak in the wind, drives like a pig, it cost a lot in fuel and repairs to keep it going, and it's old.

For years I've been joking Elon Musk should make a Tesla aluminum body step van. While the Cyber Trunk is not the step van it can pull a trailer. I could set up 6 x 12 trailer to carry tools and materials, and use the bed of the truck for tools and some materials for smaller jobs. Basically a service truck that can tow a trailer to a job and park it. The roll up door on the back and the drop down ramp is good for walking into the bed, set the back up with light weight racks and bins, carry short pieces of pipe inside the bed for small jobs. It could work as well as a conventional pickup truck, even better for people that just carry tools and very small parts and have materials delivered to the job. The bed closes to protect your tools and materials.

Stainless steel doesn't rust out, the top two models have all wheel drive, good for areas with ice. snow, and salt. The ability to power and charge tools is a big plus, you don't need a generator.

The questions I have are do the mileage numbers take into account payload, it can tow up to 10,000 lbs, but how far?

How about a Tesla cargo trailer with a Tesla roof that charges the car while construction workers work all day? Made from the same stainless steel as the car, smart GPS tracker built right in so the car always knows where the trailer is to control trailer theft.

So yeah I would buy one, out of the box just having a lettered Cyber truck would make people look and take notice. Climate change and all of that, and I do that that seriously, I live on the east coast and climate change is already affecting me. In forty years it's going to affect my children even more, and we have to act now ( within eight years ) to head that off.

I could buy the middle of the line cyber truck and keep the old step van, carry the tools in the cyber truck and just have materials on the old step van and park it on the job and lock it up, maybe take the battery out.

Best of both worlds, get rid of the old rusting out mini van I have as the family car and replace it with the cyber truck and claim a mileage deduction ( .59 a mile ) or buy it as a company vehicle and work it the other way.
Well, I will buy a Cybertruck. It surprisingly fits my needs. To date I fit no profile listed. I kind of like that. It almost defines why I like the design.
So I'm going to go to work, pull a boat on the weekends, go exploring (within the range), or maybe even plan a cross-country trip and see how that works with charging stations. I've never owned a battery powered vehicle, but I'm up for the challenge.....and change.
I just hope this project moves to completion. It would be a great topic of local discussion with the traditional truck crowd.
I don't fit any of the profiles either.
I driven pick-up trucks since Moses was a small boy. Worked as a Construction Contractor, towed race cars, sailing boats, bass boats, caravans, horse boxes and of course work trailers. I want my cybertruck 'cos I hate paying for gas, hate oil changes and constant maintenance. And, my ct can kick ass!
I like that it wont scratch and won't rust and has less wearing parts and I predict will hold its resale value far better than any ice truck. I like that I don't need to go buy a canopy and my equipment is safe from thieves and I can drive through the bush without worrying about scratching the paint work. I like that the grooved load bed allows me infinite options to attach tie down attachments to secure any load and also that I can get my ct to squat when I wash out the load bin and the water and dirt will run out. Downsides? Yes there are a few (But then again, too few to mention!)
1. Access to the load bin from the sides is restricted by the high sloping sides.
2. Carrying long loads like say 20' pvc piping or a boats mast is a problem. Can't really fit a roof rack to a ct.
3. My dogs love to ride in the back and a ct is not ideal. Suppose I can 1/2 close the shutter cover? Still not ideal.
Other than these few points I only see upsides to a ct over a conventional pick-up
And of course full autonomous self drive is going to be the ultimate cherry on the top!

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I always said if they made a two door EV that would smoke a Hellcat or an EV pickup truck I'd be in. Elon said "hold my beer". The thought of a pickup truck (ugly or not) that would smoke a Hellcat just appeals to me. I've been around diesel trucks all my life (career Army and long haul trucker) and you get a lot of bang for your buck with a diesel as far as towing and mileage verses a gasser. But the idiots at the EPA ruined the diesel engine as a simple, reliable power plant and turned it into an electronically controlled maint nightmare. Everyone I know that has bought a DEF diesel has spent a ton of money getting it deleted as soon as the warranty expired. I'll keep the diesels I have for now and my little Nissan ICE van (28 MPG) but the CT will be my daily driver until I have to give up driving.

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I almost said it here, but I decided to keep this space clean in regards to the issue of a clean slate...So I posted another thread dealing with that aspect..it starts "FU..."
I think I have already answered my personal "who is buying" although it seems like more people answered "why" and not "who".
But here it is again
A 63 yr old white guy with no social constraints except two dogs and a very tolerant wife.
As to why? I want to appear to the world as if I don't care about what they think or want while maintaining a certain status and power... Sort of a hobo in an Airstream. You've seen the youtube video of the woman that sleeps in her model3 all the time traveling around the USA... Well she has to go low-profile because even though it is a model 3 it is still a car.
I got a feeling my wheeled-starliner is going to have a different impact.

Replicanthunter

First Name
JohnPaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I’m one of the few buying the cheapest ct. I’m banking on adventuring with portable solar panels in the future. I can see them unfold from the vault and provide cover for my camp.

I want an EV and I want to support Tesla. The truck fits my family. I love the ss exterior because I want to drive it and own it for the rest of my life. It’s also going to be highly customized based on what I see as a blank slate minimalist design.

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
Two boats stored 0.5 miles from the ramp, put in in the spring, take out in the fall comes out to 2*.5*2 = 2 miles of boat towing per year. Yep, I think that's enough of a justification for me.
I love your math and how that is all you need. So did you order the single motor?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
No. Lake and boats are 626 miles from where I live in the winter. I also need the 500 mi range.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I was fascinated by it on the reveal. Actually a combination of shock and awe; “WTF & OMG!” I’ve wanted an EV for a long time. Even longer I have wanted an SUV/Jeep. At the different stages of my life these things never fit. Jeep became impractical for my family. Hummer was a fantasy vehicle but so impractical as it costs, fuel consumption, and upkeep were astronomical compared to my salary and school requirements. My wife’s RAV4 is nice, but underwhelming and uses gasoline.

The night of the reveal had so much to change my mind and yet I resisted. Radical. Cost. I’m cheap. I buy used vehicles and run them into the ground. I’m practical and don’t ever buy a first model of things. I want others to work the bugs out of a product. This, this thing, this Cybertruck, isn’t financially practical in the form I want, i.e. a tri-motor with FSD at a minimum cost of $77,000.Yet I do long distance driving trips, camping, hauling sporting goods and recreational equipment. The more I researched CT the more I wanted it. I had the form filled out three times and then stopped before I hit the reserve button.

Then in late April I made the decision. My thought was that I waited long enough that the first year production would work out the kinks and I could save the money ahead of time. I did not expect to find over 650,000 pre-orders. Sure, some will back out. I doubt anywhere close to 100,000 will drop. It will give me another year to save. Buy it, I will.

Tesla Cybertruck Article: Who Is *Actually* Going To Buy A Tesla Cybertruck? AF97449B-4741-4224-9333-B37BF18FE89B

scomer

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think it's interesting to compare the premise of this article with the age of buyers posting. Seventy-four point three percent of actual buyers are age 40 or above, so I found it interesting to re-read the article with that additional info in mind.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Interesting, I did go back and read the article. I don't see a lot of Soccer moms rushing out to make reservations. It seems from what I've seen here, it's a overwhelmingly Male dominated message board. I'm sure there are women that are interested but not that many. This made me look up demographics. So it's not just the CT.

Tesla Model 3 owner demographics: gender

Tesla Cybertruck Article: Who Is *Actually* Going To Buy A Tesla Cybertruck? Tesla-3-gender_1024x512_infographic
Next, we looked at the gender of current Tesla Model 3 owners.

Owners of the Model 3 are overwhelmingly male. Women only own 16% of Model 3s and men own 84%.

That makes the Model 3 the most “male” of the Tesla models. Males own 77% of Model S vehicles and women own 23%. Males drop to 71% for the Tesla Model X, vs. 29% female.

scomer

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm not really surprised by the gender skew; I think I have read that the national average for female buyers of new vehicles is only 14% (we could probably get into an interesting Freudian tangent at this point ;)). What I find really encouraging is that one would probably argue that embracing new technology is inversely correlated: The younger one is the more likely to adapt a new worldview. However that doesn't seem to be the case with the CT. Is it purely financial: Only those with work experience have accumulated the financial resources to engage? As a member of the rather rarefied 70+ group I would like to think that a factor we might generically label "wisdom" plays a role. The CT is the evolution of automotive transportation. Low maintenance (2 moving parts), built to last indefinitely, built to evolve and get better rather than deteriorate and depreciate, and as my age saps my abilities to drive safely will be there to take over for me and ensure personal transportation and freedom.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Interesting, I did go back and read the article. I don't see a lot of Soccer moms rushing out to make reservations. It seems from what I've seen here, it's a overwhelmingly Male dominated message board. I'm sure there are women that are interested but not that many. This made me look up demographics. So it's not just the CT.

Tesla Model 3 owner demographics: gender

Tesla-3-gender_1024x512_infographic.png
Next, we looked at the gender of current Tesla Model 3 owners.

Owners of the Model 3 are overwhelmingly male. Women only own 16% of Model 3s and men own 84%.

That makes the Model 3 the most “male” of the Tesla models. Males own 77% of Model S vehicles and women own 23%. Males drop to 71% for the Tesla Model X, vs. 29% female.
Do you think this number is skewed heavily by the fact that Men tend to buy vehicles for there wives. Meaning they put the mans name on the title? I know this is the case with my Parents. I have seen a good amount of women in the model 3
Sponsored