Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, FS Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mark my words on this. The more people learn about them, the more they are going to ask you if your truck is “One of those Cyberbeasts”? Then you have to explain why you opted for the slower model
Hahaha, I'm 74, I don't have to explain being "conservative." 😁
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
To me its slower because I sold my Raptor R (0-60 in 3.7) for it and also even my Model Y Performance is quicker. The AWD is slower than both of those so I couldn't downgrade. But it's all preference, if that feels fast to you that's awesome! Just don't drive the Beast because you'll recalibrate your brain and have instant regret.
I have a Performance Model 3 which, on paper, is a lot faster than my Dual Motor Cybertruck. But the actual experience of driving them is more a wash. The Dual Motor Cybertruck feels far quicker than it should be, or needs to be, vs. the Performance Model 3. It has to do with how massive it is relative to the Model 3, it just feels quicker than it has any right to.

Perhaps more relevant to this discussion is when it comes to ICE vehicles, an electric vehicle with the same 0-60 mph performance numbers as an ICE vehicle, the EV will always win in the real world, because there is no "prep" before you go quick, you just mash the pedal, no planning, no thinking, no getting everything just right. In traffic, while already rolling, the difference is night and day. Because the ICE vehicle almost always has to downshift a couple of gears and it takes time for the air in the intake to accelerate.

The bottom line is that an EV with 0-60 mph times that are a full second slower, are still "quicker" in real world traffic situations.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Mark my words on this. The more people learn about them, the more they are going to ask you if your truck is “One of those Cyberbeasts”? Then you have to explain why you opted for the slower model
Oh crap, I hope you are kidding.

Most people are so jealous already, that would just make it worse. The Dual Motor is the less ostentatious choice. At least I can appear reasonable and say, "Yeah, I didn't splurge to go one point three seconds quicker."

This way my low-slung Model 3 Performance is still my quickest car, which seems appropriate anyway. Even that lacks the Performance badging, so I can just say it's a Dual Motor (which it is) if anyone asks.

ChristoN

First Name
Christo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 MS LR, 2022 MYP
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
That’s cool. I’m just looking to cruise. The AWD is perfection. I don’t have a need for the beast and I would probably still be waiting for it today if I didn’t switch to AWD. I prefer to have the CT in any iteration right now than to be waiting for it.
I understand the logic, but I’d rather continue to wait and let them fix things and get the beast. I also don’t want any HUMMER EV/Rivian owner to have anything snarky to say 😂. They are making constant changes on the assembly lines just as they’ve done with every other Tesla model. They also never announce hardware changes. Definitely worth the wait to have a truck that gets to a 100 faster than 99% of cars and to 60 faster than pretty much everything.

Dazureus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Model Y, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Software Engineer - Steering Systems
Country flag
I just took delivery of my Beast. Previously drove a '16 Model X P90D with 0-60 in the 3.8s range. My wife has a '21 Model Y performance at 3.5s. You get accustomed to the acceleration, but the Beast made both our stomachs drop from the acceleration. It's new all over again. It's irresponsibly quick. I got the tires to chirp on a rolling start accelerator punch; something I couldn't do in the Model X. Being higher up detaches you visually a little from speed, so you have to be careful about speeding. Brakes are not as responsive, but it's because it's a much heavier vehicle. Just need to adjust following distances and be perceptive of traffic. A pillars are pushed more forward vs the Model X, so obstruction around sweeping curves is a bit better. I'm used to driving without seeing the hood so the lack of Cybertruck front end visual cues doesn't bother me. Back when I got the Model X, I didn't pay the 20k more for the Ludicrous mode. It was only 0.2 seconds faster and I was younger with less disposable income. I'm not sorry I got the Beast now.

Cybertruck2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning and Model 3
Country flag
I have a Lightning and a M3P. I drive my Lightning 80% of the time because I need a truck for various reasons, but 20% of the time I just need to get into the M3P and have fun. It looks like the AWD and Lightning are about the same at accelerating (I'd love to see this drag race video), and if so, an AWD CT is kinda boring.

Once my Beast is done being pre-delivery repaired (which has sucked), I expect my M3P will become fully redundant to me and it will become the family's car.

Put it this way, I would've passed on the FS if the only trim was AWD. My Lightning was as good or better in a lot of ways, for $100k I had no interest. But for the Beast I'm happy to give Tesla my money.

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Any time I see vehicles compared with different tires, when the conditions need a certain tire, I immediately discredit the video as amateur and embarrassing.
LOL, obviously amateurs, and the time variances by run are large, but the 2 trucks did have the same tires. ;)

Cybertruck2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning and Model 3
Country flag
LOL, obviously amateurs, and the time variances by run are large, but the 2 trucks did have the same tires. ;)
Around 3:45 when the race ends they imply they are using different tires. At no point during the video do I get a good enough view to confirm by watching. Again, amateur stuff.

Look at the recreation of the Porsche towing stunt that just posted, where they break down the whole setup. It's night and day. This off road racing video doesn't show anything at all, it's essentially visually incoherent.

kpg81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Country flag
Racing in the dirt is completely pointless, both trucks do not have proper traction, and since the Beast has more power, traction control will kick in and reduce power so there's zero point of even running the race. What next, drag race on a frozen lake bed?

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Around 3:45 when the race ends they imply they are using different tires. At no point during the video do I get a good enough view to confirm by watching. Again, amateur stuff.

Look at the recreation of the Porsche towing stunt that just posted, where they break down the whole setup. It's night and day. This off road racing video doesn't show anything at all, it's essentially visually incoherent.
It's at 4:35, try slowing it or CC if you can't catch it. 😄

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Racing in the dirt is completely pointless, both trucks do not have proper traction, and since the Beast has more power, traction control will kick in and reduce power so there's zero point of even running the race. What next, drag race on a frozen lake bed?
Well of course it's pointless if you can't win. 😂

I'm up for watching the frozen lake bed thing too.

But don't worry, Tesla can fix this. If they can't tune the CB for dirt to beat it, they can detune the AWD.

I am guessing that naturally the AWD has better front/rear power balance and Tesla hasn't given much attention to optimizing their offroad acceleration performance.
Sponsored