Jabman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Ram 1500
Country flag
I also think it’s a use case issue. If you’re overlanding on a regular basis, the locking differential may be of more importance to you and influence your decision. But I believe for the majority of CT owners, that is not the case. And even IF torque vectoring is inferior at the moment, the limited use of the CT as a rock-climbing machine does not provide enough justification to choose the AWD with locking diff since it will be used sparingly, if at all. Most people (myself included) will welcome the CT’s capabilities, but likely only use them a few times a year to visit the local Agrotourism spot for picking out pumpkins, driving over uneven terrain while camping, heading up a mountain pass at a ski resort, or traverse a sand dune or two at ocean front real estate.
Sponsored

PerfectFlaw

Banned
Banned
First Name
K. P. G.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
Lol explain why my Model X Plaid gets 2.59 - 2.61 when tested with my Dragy?

That means the Beast should get 2.7 or so. That's insane and way better than the SUPER SLOW AWD version that gets 4.2-4.3

The AWD version should be called the Cyberturtle spec. That's so SLOW

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Well, reviewing the performance of the Rivian and the Hummer and then assuming the CT will/always will perform the same is like saying you've tried an Android phone, didn't like it, so the iPhone must suck too (or make the example the other way around if you are sensitive about either phone). What the CT is today is NOT what the CT will be tomorrow. This goes for handling, off-roading, charging, towing, range, you name it. My phone does things today that it didn't do last year. Why? Because they upgraded the software.

And just because "This is how it has always been done", it is a poor excuse as to viewing the future. Torque vectoring has been around for a while, and so have mechanical lockers (and electronic lockers), BUT they have both been on vehicles with (wait for it) only one engine/motor! The "one motor/wheel" use of torque vectoring and software controlled motor speed to each wheel is relatively new. It ain't going to be fully mature right out of the box. But in a truck that doesn't have a differential to lock (a byproduct of one motor/wheel) why can't it be better? In a dedicated custom off-road jeep, you can lock the center and both F/R diffs. So even if only the left wheels have traction, then you are putting 100% of engine torque to those wheels (ok, 99%, as it takes something to drive the non-traction side of the jeep) Now let's look at the CB. The front diff locks, so 99% of the motor torque is going to the LF wheel. And in the back the LR wheel has its own motor, and is getting 100% of the torque of that motor. What the RR wheel/motor is doing only affect the battery and range (unless you are digging a hold with it). In the end, same/same. So it comes down to how well the TC software is written, and how well the driver knows the vehicle and software and how well they can use it to get the most out of it.

The software will make or break the CB/CT off-road.

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
Well, reviewing the performance of the Rivian and the Hummer and then assuming the CT will/always will perform the same is like saying you've tried an Android phone, didn't like it, so the iPhone must suck too (or make the example the other way around if you are sensitive about either phone). What the CT is today is NOT what the CT will be tomorrow. This goes for handling, off-roading, charging, towing, range, you name it. My phone does things today that it didn't do last year. Why? Because they upgraded the software.

And just because "This is how it has always been done", it is a poor excuse as to viewing the future. Torque vectoring has been around for a while, and so have mechanical lockers (and electronic lockers), BUT they have both been on vehicles with (wait for it) only one engine/motor! The "one motor/wheel" use of torque vectoring and software controlled motor speed to each wheel is relatively new. It ain't going to be fully mature right out of the box. But in a truck that doesn't have a differential to lock (a byproduct of one motor/wheel) why can't it be better? In a dedicated custom off-road jeep, you can lock the center and both F/R diffs. So even if only the left wheels have traction, then you are putting 100% of engine torque to those wheels (ok, 99%, as it takes something to drive the non-traction side of the jeep) Now let's look at the CB. The front diff locks, so 99% of the motor torque is going to the LF wheel. And in the back the LR wheel has its own motor, and is getting 100% of the torque of that motor. What the RR wheel/motor is doing only affect the battery and range (unless you are digging a hold with it). In the end, same/same. So it comes down to how well the TC software is written, and how well the driver knows the vehicle and software and how well they can use it to get the most out of it.

The software will make or break the CB/CT off-road.
EXACTLY!! PilotPete nailed it.

Demonvial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Country flag
You’re comparing apples to oranges. You’re also assuming the worst/that the software will be made and updated by monkeys. Fact is, there is a laundry list of off-roading possibilities the CB has over the AWD. There will be a lot more the CB will be able to do better on and off-road than the AWD any way you cut it.

You say you’ve been off-roading for decades so tell me, what do you expect the future to look like? There is literally no function for rear mechanical lockers when each wheel has its own source of energy.

The only rational people should be having for going for the AWD over the CB is if they wanna save money, +20 miles range, don’t want extra speed, and/or don’t care for the alcantara interior. Off-roading performance is a CB pro.

Last edited:

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Well, if we were ALL as brilliant as you, then you would just be "average". How boring would that be?

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
Let me get this straight - you need two wheels to spin at the same speed for better off-roading? Why do you need axles connected to achieve that? Software can very well do that “proactively”. You still haven’t explained from Physics standpoint why axles need to be locked. As I mentioned earlier, the only reason some argue is to create max torque (that you won’t get from individual motor/wheel), but this myth is busted several times by auto makers. One motor/wheel is more than enough torque. If you want two wheels to spin at same speed, an entry level Tesla engineer can add a feature to do that. Would you be happy if Tesla adds “Electronic Differential Lock” button and runs two wheels at same speed through independent motors? How hard is it to run two wheels at same spin rate and equal torque? They haven’t done that because it’s dumb to do it when you have much superior ways of gaining traction through precision torque. It’s not reactive algorithm. Why do you want the wheel with no traction (no contact with ground) to spin at all, unless you just like to see wheels spin to get a mental relief that the car is working or someone wants to sing “wheels on my truck goes round and round”, lol, but seriously, why?

Humans are now writing software to navigate machines in space with extreme precision, and we are stuck arguing old school axles locking because we need two wheels to spin at same speed to climb over slippery slopes! SMH..

Last edited:

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag
.... I need someone to change my mind and convince me the AWD is the way to go and the Cyberbeast is a $20k overspend.

Go…
You know you want it. You know you need it. The house should be guarded by a Cyberbeast at night.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
For $20k, you could buy a whole lot of fun other stuff.
How often you going to do 0-60 wide open in your truck?
You want a roller coaster ride, going to Six Flags a couple times a year is a lot cheaper.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
If you want two wheels to spin at same speed, an entry level Tesla engineer can add a feature to do that.
Evidence is to the contrary. Telsa software engineers couldn't even figure out how to get the software to lock the wheels together when there is a software-controlled mechanical locker to do it for the software. Is that even fixed yet?
Sponsored