Big Scratches on SS at Delivery

DRKTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberBeast delivered: May 9, 2024
Country flag
So I‘ve had my Beast for 3 weeks. When I went to Tysons VA to get it, the delivery guy walked me over to my truck and the first thing I noticed was a 3 inch, by 1/2 inch relatively deep gash on the hood (frunk lid). It looked like a drill/machine had accidentally nicked it. Then as I looked closer at the rest of the hood I noticed there were two thin scratches that went across the entire hood in straight lines. I showed the delivery guy and he said it’s no problem and that they would take care of it through a service appointment. I asked him if he can document it and he said all that was necessary was a picture of the issue and I could submit it myself. However, he took my phone and used it to take the photos himself “to make sure everything was captured”, he said. The next thing he said was replacing this panel is easy and straightforward and that I’m lucky that all the issues are on the same panel so that replacement will be easy.

Next I found a handprint that looked like it was made with a greasy hand, and I remembered someone else on the forum had trouble getting something like this off when he got home. So I asked the same guy to have it cleaned before I leave. So then a second delivery guy came over and said he’d be taking care of me from this point forward. I told him about the grease spot and the showed him the scratches. He said he can take the truck to their detailing area and clean the grease hand print, but he too said the scratches would have to go through a service appointment.

Fast forward to last Friday, which would have been 3 weeks later. I arrived at my service appointment in Tysons and showed the tech the scratches and the gouge and he said, “we are not replacing panels at this time”. I repeated that this is how the truck came at delivery and that 2 delivery guys told me it could be handled by replacing the panel through a service appointment. He told me, “well those guys are wrong and I will make sure they stop telling people this incorrect information”. I replied by telling him I would have never accepted delivery with scratches like this had I known that they wont fix it. We went back and forth a few times. He kept repeating the same thing, “we are not replacing panels at this time”. So i asked him if when he says “at this time” if that means that they will in the future as they get replacement parts (Which I would totally understand as this is such a new vehicle), but he would not say anything more.
IMG_4224.jpeg
IMG_4226.jpeg
IMG_4581.jpeg

Anyway, I had a few other minor issues that I pointed out and he said no problem to those but also told me that they would not start on them until next week because the “master tech” who is trained on Cybertruck wont be in until Wednesday of next week. I didnt want to leave my my truck there just sitting and instead brought it home.

So I’ll be going back on Wednesday for those other minor issues, and I’m going to bring up the scratched hood again. What do you guys think? Anyone else have any experiences like this?
Sponsored

Darthamerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast and Model S P90D
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So I‘ve had my Beast for 3 weeks. When I went to Tysons VA to get it, the delivery guy walked me over to my truck and the first thing I noticed was a 3 inch, by 1/2 inch relatively deep gash on the hood (frunk lid). It looked like a drill/machine had accidentally nicked it. Then as I looked closer at the rest of the hood I noticed there were two thin scratches that went across the entire hood in straight lines. I showed the delivery guy and he said it’s no problem and that they would take care of it through a service appointment. I asked him if he can document it and he said all that was necessary was a picture of the issue and I could submit it myself. However, he took my phone and used it to take the photos himself “to make sure everything was captured”, he said. The next thing he said was replacing this panel is easy and straightforward and that I’m lucky that all the issues are on the same panel so that replacement will be easy.

Next I found a handprint that looked like it was made with a greasy hand, and I remembered someone else on the forum had trouble getting something like this off when he got home. So I asked the same guy to have it cleaned before I leave. So then a second delivery guy came over and said he’d be taking care of me from this point forward. I told him about the grease spot and the showed him the scratches. He said he can take the truck to their detailing area and clean the grease hand print, but he too said the scratches would have to go through a service appointment.

Fast forward to last Friday, which would have been 3 weeks later. I arrived at my service appointment in Tysons and showed the tech the scratches and the gouge and he said, “we are not replacing panels at this time”. I repeated that this is how the truck came at delivery and that 2 delivery guys told me it could be handled by replacing the panel through a service appointment. He told me, “well those guys are wrong and I will make sure they stop telling people this incorrect information”. I replied by telling him I would have never accepted delivery with scratches like this had I known that they wont fix it. We went back and forth a few times. He kept repeating the same thing, “we are not replacing panels at this time”. So i asked him if when he says “at this time” if that means that they will in the future as they get replacement parts (Which I would totally understand as this is such a new vehicle), but he would not say anything more.
IMG_4224.jpeg
IMG_4226.jpeg
IMG_4581.jpeg

Anyway, I had a few other minor issues that I pointed out and he said no problem to those but also told me that they would not start on them until next week because the “master tech” who is trained on Cybertruck wont be in until Wednesday of next week. I didnt want to leave my my truck there just sitting and instead brought it home.

So I’ll be going back on Wednesday for those other minor issues, and I’m going to bring up the scratched hood again. What do you guys think? Anyone else have any experiences like this?
I had a tool mark on mine. I took it to the service center and they removed it for free. They also removed some stubborn material that was stuck to the door.

OP
OP

DRKTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting
I had a tool mark on mine. I took it to the service center and they removed it for free. They also removed some stubborn material that was stuck to the door.
interesting and good to know. My service advisor (the one who said they don’t replace panels) also said there is no way to repair the stainless steel at the Tesla Service Center.

This makes me hopeful that he had no idea what he was talking about.

Nobell32

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberBeast Foundation
Country flag
I had the same issue a deep scratch on the top of the trunk that was spotted at delivery. I took pictures and made a service appointment. During the service they told me this was too deep to be buffed out so they would replace the panel. It took a few weeks to order it and once they received it they scheduled me for the repair. I showed up to my service appointment yesterday and it took them about an hour to swap the panel.

FrostyCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 MustangGT-700rwhp, 21' & 22' M3 LR, CT res.
Occupation
Self employed - refrigeration service
Country flag
I think anyone paying the extra for Foundation series is nuts or has too much fee $$$ on hand. EXPECT issues like this and remember, YOU pay for the privilege of being first to have CT. I will g lady wait till all these issues worked out by the time I get mine.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I think anyone paying the extra for Foundation series is nuts or has too much fee $$$ on hand. EXPECT issues like this and remember, YOU pay for the privilege of being first to have CT. I will g lady wait till all these issues worked out by the time I get mine.
Actually, I'm so glad I paid the Foundation Premium and took delivery of an early Cybertruck. The thing is amazing! I have 1400 miles on it now, many off-road whacking trees and branches, and it's been perfect!

kpg81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Country flag
That's cool, but guess what you don't have and can't drive right now? A Cybertruck. Hahahahaha

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag

That is some serious horse hockey pucks right there! Not sure how you avoid it? I believe it is wrong.

(NOTE TO SELF: DO NOT USE TYSONS CORNER SERVICE CENTER)

Art138

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP,Ferrari Pista,Ford GT & CYBERBEAST ordered
Country flag
Interesting

interesting and good to know. My service advisor (the one who said they don’t replace panels) also said there is no way to repair the stainless steel at the Tesla Service Center.

This makes me hopeful that he had no idea what he was talking about.
Doesn’t hurt to report that service advisor - horrible interpersonal skills. Too bad you did not record his remarks. At any large dealer he would not last with that attitude. He should have said that a hood replacement has been ordered and they will advise you went they receive it.

BeFamousVideo

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telsa M3 Long Range. CT Beast expected 3/2024
Occupation
AI Automation Agency owner
Country flag

IMG_4224.jpeg
IMG_4226.jpeg
IMG_4581.jpeg

At my Beast delivery I found a blemish on the driver's door. After pointing this out they told me one of the service team has been working on all the SS issues and he came to look at the 2" X 1" scratch he tried to set me expectations that it might not come out completely and then took the truck back into service. Less than 10 minutes later he drives truck back to me and the blemish is gone. I noticed through a window he was using an electric buffer on the SS and I remember worrying he was going to make the SS worse. I was thrilled with the results as it was 100% gone and blended in with the overall texture of the SS. (Location Irvine,CA) BTW my scratch looked like yours.

OP
OP

DRKTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. I’ll report back here with my Wednesday experience at the service center.

dapiya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
pilot
Country flag

IMG_4224.jpeg
IMG_4226.jpeg
IMG_4581.jpeg

I had several large scratches worse than yours. It looked like someone slide down my hood with nails in their pockets. I took it in and the ground/polished it out and it looks perfect now. I don’t think you need a new panel for that.

OP
OP

DRKTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had several large scratches worse than yours. It looked like someone slide down my hood with nails in their pockets. I took it in and the ground/polished it out and it looks perfect now. I don’t think you need a new panel for that.
thank you, I hope so. Since the Tesla service advisor I saw last time said they don’t polish any of the stainless steel panels, I’ve been thinking replacement. But it sounds like he was absolutely uninformed.

HBCybertruck

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance
Country flag
Howdy- I had significant lines in my sail panel- the largest piece … I documented it at pick up and they’re replacing the entire panel. I would just escalate the issue up if they don’t make it right. Sorry this happened but I bet they get it fixed up.
Sponsored