Windshield cracked on delivery day

il_cyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 M3, '20 MY, '23 MX, '24 Cybertruck
Country flag
This past weekend, I picked up my new Cybertruck at the local-ish delivery center (~100 mi away). The sales folks were fantastic and the truck looked great -- a few of the minor cosmetic issues that everyone is seeing (e.g., slight misalignment of the doors, machining marks on the sail panels, glue of the tail light lens), but nothing that a post-delivery service call or a few hours of detailing at home couldn't fix. I happily took delivery and my wife, son, and I started the drive home.

About 30 minutes into our return trip, driving on the highway, the windshield suddenly cracked from the lower leading edge centered in the passenger's field of view. There was no car in front of us to throw a rock or cause an impact (thankfully on a low-volume segment of the highway so we weren't getting too many gawks and pictures from passing cars), just a quite pop. The crack appeared from the edge and extended about 3 inches up the windshield. Disappointed we pulled off at the next rest stop to inspect the damage and put in a ticket to Tesla for service. In the 10 minutes between having the crack appear to the rest stop, the crack continued to pop every few minutes, grew across the lower passenger side corner over to the A pillar, and extended up about 25% of the windshield.

When we got out at the rest stop, we could not find any visible indication of a defect, chip, impact crater, etc that might indicate road hazard damage. Instead we noticed that the lower passenger-side corner of the windshield was noticeably depressed into the frame of the truck: the seals around this corner were loose and do not sit against the glass as they do on the driver's side but only for the portion of the glass that had now cracked. It started to rain as we were taking pictures and deciding that the was nothing more we could do at the rest area, we continued the drive home.

IMG_3416.jpeg

IMG_3417.jpeg

Once in the garage, I toweled off the truck, and was able to better visualize the damage. The initial crack that we saw on the highway definitely started at the leading edge of the windshield. There is no chip in the edge, no indication of an impact, and the crack is clean. The seal between the glass and the frunk lid/space is very tight at the point of initial crack. From there, the crack trees over towards the A pillar, pulls down to the lower edge a couple of times and heads up to make contact with the A pillar edge. The seals in that lower passenger corner are loose and do not sit flush to the windshield. The fractured segments of the top glass do show a gradual angle going from the center of the windshield to that corner: at each section of the crack you can feel a step down moving towards the corner.

IMG_3424.jpeg

IMG_3431.jpeg

It seems to me that the windshield was not set correctly at the factory. I've found similar issues on the forums for Model 3 and Y in almost the same location that were later determined to be manufacturing errors and replaced under warranty. I had one of my engineering colleagues take a look and they agreed that the gradual depression of the glass leading to that corner seemed to indicate that there may not be enough adhesive behind the glass, and that it may be under some tension or making contact with the body and that a little chassis flex on the highway may have been enough to cause the crack -- they highlighted the long, straight line cracks indicating that this is a sign of glass under stress/tension (I'll take their word for it; I'm no materials scientist). Seems like a warranty item for sure!

Fast forward to mid-day Monday, I called the service center (~60 mi away in the opposite direction from my delivery center, go figure) to followup on my ticket and the local manager indicated that they currently had no parts for the Cybertruck and that they would have to order them from the factory to perform the repair. I sent them additional photos showing how it had progressed over the weekend just sitting in the garage and that the cracks were now extending further up the center/passenger side. They were able to order the replacement windshield and indicated that it would be arriving today (5/8)

IMG_3435.jpeg

The following morning, they sent my a repair estimate in the app for $2300! When I reached back out to the service center, the indication was that they couldn't be sure from the photos but they think that it is NOT a warranty issue. Looking for an indication of how they made that determination when the pictures of the seals around the windshield paint a very different story, they said that it's very rare for it to be anything other than that. On top of this, despite getting the parts ordered and shipped quickly, they indicated that the earliest they would be able to fit me in was the end of next week.

After a series of progressively more condescending and snarky texts from the service center manager, I reached out to the next closest service center who indicated that they could order the part and do the repair, perhaps in the same time if not sooner depending on delivery -- by looking at the same photos and walking through my observations on the phone, this service manager indicated that his suspicion was that indeed it is a manufacturing error and that it will most likely be covered under warranty, but they they would have to have it on-site to confirm.

At the end of the day, I need this repaired and I want it done right. I have not had the best luck with the closest service center in the past -- my wife and I have had 3 previous Tesla's serviced there and on multiple occasions have had to have mobile service come out to repair and/or inspect something that wasn't serviced correctly. I'm very skeptical about going back to them again with the truck, especially because they have not serviced any of them yet. The second service center (~125 mi away) has serviced trucks already and gave me much greater confidence based on the questions they were asking and their evaluation of the photos I sent in. I have the option of going to either -- both suggested getting roadside assistance to tow the truck to whichever center would be working on it.

So, the long and short of it -- I've had the truck for a little over 4 days, driven it exactly once, and am already having to fight to have a windshield repaired. By the earliest point it can go in for service, I will have been without a car for 11 calendar days -- which is a big disappointment after waiting nearly 4.5 yrs to take delivery. For now its a glistening, $100K garage ornament...

IMG_3437.jpeg

IMG_3436.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg

IMG_3429.jpeg

IMG_3425.jpeg

IMG_3415.jpeg

IMG_3423.jpeg
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
To open a Service Ticket, do it from the app. But it seems that you got lucky and someone did it for you.

Yes, on warranty repairs, you will often get a estimate that you may have to pay for it, even if it is a given that it will be a warranty repair.

On a windshield, you will get the estimate and then schedule a visit. At the visit they will make a determination on whether it is warranty or not and replace it. They may be able to show you that there was a rock chip, maybe not, but in either case I assume that you want it replaced.

Relax, document with pictures, and you will probably find out that they just replace it under warranty and everyone is happy.

Until they physically see the window, they won't be able to make the determination.

CyberNickOH

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Tesla CT AWD FS
Country flag
Seems like a good time to do a DYI wrap. Silver lining. I should get mine friday and PPF comes the same day, going to be hard to not drive it for 3-5 days, my hope is 1 day install, 2 days rest.

OP
OP

il_cyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the advice -- I'm trying to stay positive and remind myself that it will be worth the wait. What's a few more days...

@Woodrick I'm definitely no stranger to the App and the service process, having had almost 10 Teslas in the family over the last 6 years -- this encounter seemed different though. Usually when I put in a service request, especially over the weekend, I'll get a call or text sometime the following Monday morning indicating that the request had been received and that they were in the process of reviewing. This time it was as if they hadn't even opened the service request when I called in the afternoon and were looking at it for the first time while on the phone. I had sent in pictures in the app as well and the indication was that they couldn't see them on their end even though I could see them in my app and they commented on the cracks. It didn't mesh with what I've experienced over the years with other service centers.

@CyberNickOH I do like the DIY PPF idea -- hopefully it will get sorted before I could have film shipped out. In the meantime, I am taking the opportunity to detail the rest of the truck and get it ready to show off once repaired :)

Cybertruck26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR
Occupation
Engineer, Space nerd
Country flag
This past weekend, I picked up my new Cybertruck at the local-ish delivery center (~100 mi away). The sales folks were fantastic and the truck looked great -- a few of the minor cosmetic issues that everyone is seeing (e.g., slight misalignment of the doors, machining marks on the sail panels, glue of the tail light lens), but nothing that a post-delivery service call or a few hours of detailing at home couldn't fix. I happily took delivery and my wife, son, and I started the drive home.

About 30 minutes into our return trip, driving on the highway, the windshield suddenly cracked from the lower leading edge centered in the passenger's field of view. There was no car in front of us to throw a rock or cause an impact (thankfully on a low-volume segment of the highway so we weren't getting too many gawks and pictures from passing cars), just a quite pop. The crack appeared from the edge and extended about 3 inches up the windshield. Disappointed we pulled off at the next rest stop to inspect the damage and put in a ticket to Tesla for service. In the 10 minutes between having the crack appear to the rest stop, the crack continued to pop every few minutes, grew across the lower passenger side corner over to the A pillar, and extended up about 25% of the windshield.

When we got out at the rest stop, we could not find any visible indication of a defect, chip, impact crater, etc that might indicate road hazard damage. Instead we noticed that the lower passenger-side corner of the windshield was noticeably depressed into the frame of the truck: the seals around this corner were loose and do not sit against the glass as they do on the driver's side but only for the portion of the glass that had now cracked. It started to rain as we were taking pictures and deciding that the was nothing more we could do at the rest area, we continued the drive home.

IMG_3416.jpeg

IMG_3417.jpeg

Once in the garage, I toweled off the truck, and was able to better visualize the damage. The initial crack that we saw on the highway definitely started at the leading edge of the windshield. There is no chip in the edge, no indication of an impact, and the crack is clean. The seal between the glass and the frunk lid/space is very tight at the point of initial crack. From there, the crack trees over towards the A pillar, pulls down to the lower edge a couple of times and heads up to make contact with the A pillar edge. The seals in that lower passenger corner are loose and do not sit flush to the windshield. The fractured segments of the top glass do show a gradual angle going from the center of the windshield to that corner: at each section of the crack you can feel a step down moving towards the corner.

IMG_3424.jpeg

IMG_3431.jpeg

It seems to me that the windshield was not set correctly at the factory. I've found similar issues on the forums for Model 3 and Y in almost the same location that were later determined to be manufacturing errors and replaced under warranty. I had one of my engineering colleagues take a look and they agreed that the gradual depression of the glass leading to that corner seemed to indicate that there may not be enough adhesive behind the glass, and that it may be under some tension or making contact with the body and that a little chassis flex on the highway may have been enough to cause the crack -- they highlighted the long, straight line cracks indicating that this is a sign of glass under stress/tension (I'll take their word for it; I'm no materials scientist). Seems like a warranty item for sure!

Fast forward to mid-day Monday, I called the service center (~60 mi away in the opposite direction from my delivery center, go figure) to followup on my ticket and the local manager indicated that they currently had no parts for the Cybertruck and that they would have to order them from the factory to perform the repair. I sent them additional photos showing how it had progressed over the weekend just sitting in the garage and that the cracks were now extending further up the center/passenger side. They were able to order the replacement windshield and indicated that it would be arriving today (5/8)

IMG_3435.jpeg

The following morning, they sent my a repair estimate in the app for $2300! When I reached back out to the service center, the indication was that they couldn't be sure from the photos but they think that it is NOT a warranty issue. Looking for an indication of how they made that determination when the pictures of the seals around the windshield paint a very different story, they said that it's very rare for it to be anything other than that. On top of this, despite getting the parts ordered and shipped quickly, they indicated that the earliest they would be able to fit me in was the end of next week.

After a series of progressively more condescending and snarky texts from the service center manager, I reached out to the next closest service center who indicated that they could order the part and do the repair, perhaps in the same time if not sooner depending on delivery -- by looking at the same photos and walking through my observations on the phone, this service manager indicated that his suspicion was that indeed it is a manufacturing error and that it will most likely be covered under warranty, but they they would have to have it on-site to confirm.

At the end of the day, I need this repaired and I want it done right. I have not had the best luck with the closest service center in the past -- my wife and I have had 3 previous Tesla's serviced there and on multiple occasions have had to have mobile service come out to repair and/or inspect something that wasn't serviced correctly. I'm very skeptical about going back to them again with the truck, especially because they have not serviced any of them yet. The second service center (~125 mi away) has serviced trucks already and gave me much greater confidence based on the questions they were asking and their evaluation of the photos I sent in. I have the option of going to either -- both suggested getting roadside assistance to tow the truck to whichever center would be working on it.

So, the long and short of it -- I've had the truck for a little over 4 days, driven it exactly once, and am already having to fight to have a windshield repaired. By the earliest point it can go in for service, I will have been without a car for 11 calendar days -- which is a big disappointment after waiting nearly 4.5 yrs to take delivery. For now its a glistening, $100K garage ornament...

IMG_3437.jpeg

IMG_3436.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg

IMG_3429.jpeg

IMG_3425.jpeg

IMG_3415.jpeg

IMG_3423.jpeg
What's the temps been like? I ask bc I know growing up in Buffalo, if you have a small little crack, and it's cold out, it will grow exponentially with defrosters on.

*Pours a little liquor out for his old '91 Sunbird*

OP
OP

il_cyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Cybertruck26 Nothing unusual and no weird swings in temperature -- it was in the mid 70's for delivery, and has stayed between ~68-82F outside since. The garage is pretty constant around 72F.

I feel the upstate cold weather pains -- had plenty of friends while in college in Troy that never had that experience and it seemed like every winter at least one would have to replace a windshield.

Cybertruck26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR
Occupation
Engineer, Space nerd
Country flag
@Cybertruck26 Nothing unusual and no weird swings in temperature -- it was in the mid 70's for delivery, and has stayed between ~68-82F outside since. The garage is pretty constant around 72F.

I feel the upstate cold weather pains -- had plenty of friends while in college in Troy that never had that experience and it seemed like every winter at least one would have to replace a windshield.
Yeah, that's definitely not good. I am sorry that happened, and HOPE they came to a resolution for you. It does appear that it originated at the bottom and spidered out, but I find it hard to believe a stone would do that (considering the supposed strength of the glass), and the fact you literally just drove it off the lot.

I know Troy pretty well. Growing up in WNY was pretty rough in the winters, but it looks like you're in IL now...I went to Boot Camp in Great Lakes, the cold wind there is NO joke either.

jf64k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 MYLR x2, 2024 FS AWD on order
Country flag
That has to be supremely frustrating, OP!!

Hopefully, once they lay eyes on it, and see there's no impact damage, they'll warranty it.

wheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 MYLR, 2024 CTAWD
Country flag
I had a very similar situation when picking up my new 2016 MX, a growing crack on passenger side windshield found on the second day. The crack was very smooth without any chip point, so the service center replaced the windshield under warranty.

g7bupw9z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY
Country flag
Most likely, it will be fixed for free. I've seen dollar estimates on warrantied items on the app, and in my experience, they just remove it once the work is completed. I hope this helps ease your anxiety.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Thanks for the advice -- I'm trying to stay positive and remind myself that it will be worth the wait. What's a few more days...

@Woodrick I'm definitely no stranger to the App and the service process, having had almost 10 Teslas in the family over the last 6 years -- this encounter seemed different though. Usually when I put in a service request, especially over the weekend, I'll get a call or text sometime the following Monday morning indicating that the request had been received and that they were in the process of reviewing. This time it was as if they hadn't even opened the service request when I called in the afternoon and were looking at it for the first time while on the phone. I had sent in pictures in the app as well and the indication was that they couldn't see them on their end even though I could see them in my app and they commented on the cracks. It didn't mesh with what I've experienced over the years with other service centers.

@CyberNickOH I do like the DIY PPF idea -- hopefully it will get sorted before I could have film shipped out. In the meantime, I am taking the opportunity to detail the rest of the truck and get it ready to show off once repaired :)
Last one I created took till a couple of days.
But since staff have been laid off ......

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY LR, R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF, Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag

IMG_3416.jpeg

IMG_3417.jpeg

IMG_3424.jpeg

IMG_3431.jpeg

IMG_3435.jpeg

IMG_3437.jpeg

IMG_3436.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg

IMG_3429.jpeg

IMG_3425.jpeg

IMG_3415.jpeg

IMG_3423.jpeg
Sorry to see this happen to you. Mutiple impacts could have occurred awhile ago and then the visible cracks can develop much later. This is very common. But, If there are no visible dimples or impact point, these could be from a defective windshield and or poor mounting technique, which then will fall under the warranty. Good luck!
Sponsored