Jethro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (on order)
Occupation
consultant
Country flag
I saw a video today where it seems that break by wire on the cyber truck is confirmed. They made a specific reference and saying that the system did not have any hydraulics on all four wheels. They made some references to the Brambo system, but did not confirm that that was on the cybertruck.

on top gear :

I’ve some pictures of the rear brakes that look like they have hydraulic lines.
Tesla Cybertruck Brake by wire confirmed? 1702075450186
Sponsored

vwtodd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volkswagen Rabbit
Country flag
The Brembo Sensify BBW system can operate in several ways. All digital at each wheel (no hydraulics) **if all wheels have sliding calipers** or a mix of localized mini hydraulic pumps at each wheel and digital, or all localized hydraulic.

The Cybertruck has fixed front calipers and sliding rear calipers. The Brembo system only uses localized hydraulics on fixed calipers (for now, working on digital fixed in the future with better packaging).

All that said, if this is the Brembo system, then the fronts are definitely hydraulic of some sort. That image of the rears sure looks like a hydraulic brake line to a banjo bolt near the pistons.

This will be trivially easy for anyone familiar with brakes to determine once they pull a wheel and inspect closely. Or, you could look for a central fluid resivoir under the frunk trim, along with a traditional vacuum booster. If neither of those are present under the frunk, it is a good sign that this is BBW localized hydraulic system (of some sort).

I remain skeptical though, as Elon nor anyone else at Tesla has highlighted BBW. The only small hint is the Top Gear interview with Lars & Franz where Lars says something like "drive by brake" in passing, but not clear if that was an unrelated slip, talking about future changes, or confirming BBW.