Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2016 Chevy 3500HD High Country
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This past winter I read a good article and watched a video of Brembo's brake by wire system. There was some allusion to a Tesla being the initial platform for the initial release. Has anyone seen or heard anything to confirm or deny that story. Is it possible the CT would be the platform?
Quote from Brembo webpage:
"The brake-by-wire system is also designed to integrate itself with the regenerative braking and driver-assistance systems. Therefore, it's not difficult to imagine that a day will come when the cars will brake on their own as the auto-pilot will tell them to do so (as is already happening now with electric steering). "
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
This past winter I read a good article and watched a video of Brembo's brake by wire system. There was some allusion to a Tesla being the initial platform for the initial release. Has anyone seen or heard anything to confirm or deny that story. Is it possible the CT would be the platform?
"The brake-by-wire system is also designed to integrate itself with the regenerative braking and driver-assistance systems. Therefore, it's not difficult to imagine that a day will come when the cars will brake on their own as the auto-pilot will tell them to do so (as is already happening now with electric steering). "
I will be shocked if the Brembo braking system called "Sensify" doesn't debut on the Cybertruck because Elon has said the Cybertruck will be an automotive technological showcase.

This braking system will eliminate the need to bleed/flush brake fluid and has a higher tolerance for high brake temperatures because there is no brake fluid to boil.

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
I think the CT will have it, likely they will announce that on delivery day.

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
Since controls along these lines have been used successfully in aviation for some time I'd welcome this technology with open arms. There are so many bells and whistles, unnecessary accessories my brother refers to as "donkey bottom wipers", found in the automotive industry. A few, such as intermittent windshield wipers, back up cameras, and remote mirrors, are safety related and of huge benefit. Brake by wire performance is very impressive, and will be standard on all vehicles sometime in the future, why not start with Cybertruck?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
@connectingodots thinks so and it is a logical choice for several reasons (simplicity, efficiency, performance, uniformity), all of which move in the manufacturing direction Tesla wants to go in, but we have not heard a yea or nay from Tesla.

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
@connectingodots thinks so and it is a logical choice for several reasons (simplicity, efficiency, performance, uniformity), all of which move in the manufacturing direction Tesla wants to go in, but we have not heard a yea or nay from Tesla.
Fingers crossed...

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
I will be shocked if the Brembo braking system called "Sensify" doesn't debut on the Cybertruck because Elon has said the Cybertruck will be an automotive technological showcase.

This braking system will eliminate the need to bleed/flush brake fluid and has a higher tolerance for high brake temperatures because there is no brake fluid to boil.
i believe it’s gonna show up on “project highland” first

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The main reason for brembos brake by wire is better is because its faster and more accurate brake control per individual wheel without main cylinder actuation or pressure control. Which means improved ABS and ESP performance, especially on varying surfaces, plus active anti sway for trailers (on top of 4WS and QM torque vectoring), all resulting in a shorter brake distance and also remaining more manoeuvrable.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
It's possible the "project Highland" is first with Brembo Sensify, but it had better hurry up if it's to be, because Cybertruck will have the first delivery event in about 5 months!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Does that make sense? Isn't Highland the super low-cost vehicle? Would Tesla need to put a very high-tech braking system onto a low-cost car? I don't think so. The natural choice (a technology bandwagon) is the Cybertruck, or the new roadster.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Does that make sense? Isn't Highland the super low-cost vehicle? Would Tesla need to put a very high-tech braking system onto a low-cost car? I don't think so. The natural choice (a technology bandwagon) is the Cybertruck, or the new roadster.
The reason to use brake by wire in Highland is reduced cost (overall not just components), weight reduction, compact packaging, reduced complexity, fewer parts, and reduced assembly time. Not because of hi-tech or even better brake performance.

Just the fluids cause hydraulic systems to be much more troublesome (spills, leaks, need bleeding, handling, environmental hazards, etc).

-----------------

1998Jan23
Brake-by-Wire Without Mechanical Backup by Using a TTP-Communication Network
SAE Technical Paper 981109, 1998
https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/981109/

-----------------

Fault-tolerant drive-by-wire systems
November 2002
IEEE Control Systems Magazine 22(5):64- 81
DOI:10.1109/MCS.2002.1035218 SourceIEEE Xplore
Authors: Rolf Isermann, Ralf Schwarz, S. Stolzl
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/3206792_Fault-tolerant_drive-by-wire_systems

-----------------

How Does Brake-By-Wire Work? Plus: Audi e-Tron Sportback Review!
Sep 30, 2020
Engineering Explained

-----

-----------------

Here's How Brake-by-Wire Works, and Why It's Perfectly Safe More cars are using brake-by-wire systems. There's no need to be afraid.
By Chris Perkins Sep 30, 2020
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a34224683/how-brake-by-wire-works-safety/

-----------------

Last edited:

HAL GALLUS

First Name
HAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MODLE 3
Country flag
Yes I saw that too they wear testing it on a model 3

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
I would love to see this on the cybertruck. I also think that it will be a much lower cost braking system. And, if Tesla can roll this out on the Cyber truck and or Highland Edition they will have some experience before rolling it out on their low-cost Mexican made every man car. For that car to have a lower weight, less expensive to produce, less expensive to maintain, and longer lasting brake system would just be awesome. I am hoping that car will be nice enough that I can get one of those for my wife to replace her aged 200k plus Honda accord. We would have our cyber truck to do construction projects at the house, camping, long trips. And we would have the small low-cost car with less range for a short in town trips and her commute to work which is only about 20 minutes.
Sponsored