Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Having never owned a Tesla (yet) truck on order?. So many talk about using the regenerative brakes that they report seldom using brakes to stop. My question is, when you do let off accelerator do the brake lights light up to warn of slowing to a stop or only when actually applying breaks?
Sponsored

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
The brake lights do come on

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
They come on when the vehicle is slowing appreciably i.e. they are programmed to give the same warning to cars behind you as a ICE vehicle would when the friction brakes are applied. If you crest a hill on the freeway and take your foot off the accelerator or back it off the brake lights do not come on. If you take your foot off the accelerator at 35 mph in traffic they will. Not sure, or to be more honest, have no idea what the algorithm is. Related to the magnitude of negative acceleration perhaps.

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
Thanks for the responses here. I have been wondering the same with my P3D- but have never driven behind it or another Tesla. Not many Teslas here in Montana.
Sponsored