Brand New Model S Plaid burst into flames

First Name
Grandma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Suggestions is to watch segment on 5 July Now You Know with Zac and Jesse. The goggle earth shots show a neighboring property grass area around a street corner lined with large low level rocks. So easy to imagine what happens when the path of rocks make contact with the unlining carriage at any speed. California Stops are not unique to only California.
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The level of that response doesnā€™t deserve even this response.
I said I don't think Tesla should be held accountable if it isn't shown that Tesla delivered a faulty vehicle. Then you come out with information of how many car fires there was in a year and how much property damage there was. How does that relate to manufacturer liability?

Yes it's possible it was teslas fault, it's also possible it was the owners fault, it's also possible it was an external factor. This is exactly what insurance if for. The insurance company should be the one that investigates and if they can prove it was Teslas fault, the insurance company can arrange for Tesla to pay for it. If Tesla isn't found at fault, the insurance company pays the owner for the totaled vehicle.

To even hint that Tesla should replace the car because it caught fire due to an unknown reason is a terrible idea unless you can give an actual reason why the manufacturer was a fault.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
My concern with the fire is not as much statistic although 1 out of 25 sounds mighty high to me.
or whether the driver did something wrong although I donā€™t think I am that special and whatever he did, there is a good chance, I could do it as well unless he took a flame thrower to the car.

My concern is are we so seduced by fast innovation and new tech that we are willing to pretend there is no cost to it? I do not own Tesla stock or ever personally had a problem with a Tesla vehicle so I have no reason to be biased one way or another. I want EVs to take over but I believe 50 years down the road we will look at todayā€™s energy source for our electric motors and will not believe how inefficient and unsafe they were. I believe I will still buy a CT even if one of the first 25 caught on fire but I donā€™t dismiss the possibility that something can be improved between this S fire and next CT fire.

Edit: The dudeā€˜s lawyer said his was 1 of 250 shipped.

Last edited:

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
My concern with the fire is not as much statistic although 1 out of 25 sounds mighty high to me.
or whether the driver did something wrong although I donā€™t think I am that special and whatever he did, there is a good chance, I could do it as well unless he took a flame thrower to the car.

My concern is are we so seduced by fast innovation and new tech that we are willing to pretend there is no cost to it? I do not own Tesla stock or ever personally had a problem with a Tesla vehicle so I have no reason to be biased one way or another. I wanā€™t EVs to take over but I believe 50 years down the road we will look at Toddā€™s energy source for our electric motors and will not believe how inefficient and unsafe they were. I believe I will still buy a CT even if one of the first 25 caught on fire but I donā€™t dismiss the possibility that something can be improved between this S fire and next CT fire.
NEXT CT FIREā€¦.?ā€¦I missed the first one.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
NEXT CT FIREā€¦.?ā€¦I missed the first one.
You must have changed your email address. People have been picking up their CTs since new year. A month or so after Elonā€™s announcement. ;)

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
You must have changed your email address. People have been picking up their CTs since new year. A month or so after Elonā€™s announcement. ;)
I got mine and havenā€™t had the first issue with fire.

Tesla Cybertruck Brand New Model S Plaid burst into flames 1625580788985

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag

My concern is are we so seduced by fast innovation and new tech that we are willing to pretend there is no cost to it? I do not own Tesla stock or ever personally had a problem with a Tesla vehicle so I have no reason to be biased one way or another. I want EVs to take over but I believe 50 years down the road we will look at todayā€™s energy source for our electric motors and will not believe how inefficient and unsafe they were. I believe I will still buy a CT even if one of the first 25 caught on fire but I donā€™t dismiss the possibility that something can be improved between this S fire and next CT fire.

Edit: The dudeā€˜s lawyer said his was 1 of 250 shipped.
Just to balance the scalesā€¦

ICE catch fire. Pintos exploded. Worst early pickups had gastank mounted directly behind driver inside the cab. A known local father was rear ended. Box crushed the gas tank, pinned the driver door shut and driver trapped against steer wheel. Tank started afire. The driver reached in his pant, threw wallet out to onlookers as they watched flames engulf the truck.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just to balance the scalesā€¦

ICE catch fire. Pintos exploded. Worst early pickups had gastank mounted directly behind driver inside the cab. A known local father was rear ended. Box crushed the gas tank, pinned the driver door shut and driver trapped against steer wheel. Tank started afire. The driver reached in his pant, threw wallet out to onlookers as they watched flames engulf the truck.
My point was not that driving down the highway on flammable liquid is less dangerous than doing it on flammable batteries. No comparison was made between ICE and BEV. If there is any two things to compare in this regard in my mind is a relatively safe BEV today and a much safer BEV tomorrow.

I see folks get very protective of BEVs and Tesla in particular to the point that even scientifically minded naturally curious folks refuse to consider the possibility that fire could have happened because of a design flaw or something that can be improved. I definitely donā€™t want competition to use these incidents to take Tesla down (I want my CT). I just want a safer CT if possible.

I have no clue what caused this fire. It very well could be a fraud case, someone trying to milk Tesla with a made up law suit but if it is ligit, it is in our benefit if the facts are used to improve safety.

Everything has been pushed to itā€™s limits on S Plaid. This is all speculation: If packing more energy in smaller size battery pack and saving weight by less protective cover on the pack makes it more likely to be damaged and fail when hit by a speed bump, I want my CT less efficient but more safe (Even with 16ā€ of clearance). I donā€™t want to go down a technical rabbit hole far beyond my knowledge and understanding but you get my drift. Finding out what happened is good for us.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
If there is any two things to compare in this regard in my mind is a relatively safe BEV today and a much safer BEV tomorrow.
Agreed

Sitting atop 400v batteries is avant-guard BEV design. It is pinnacle engineering best practice to put wet meat atop 100kW energy density. Thatā€™s driven safety forward. Proof in Engineering Safety that the driver survived. That a Tesla battery fire is survivable is takeaway #1

I am in agreement that a Plaid fire could just as easily happened to any one of the 250 deliveries. That it occurred immediately points to electrical in Tesla equipment. But driver inflicted damage isnā€™t ruled out.

Whatever the fire investigation in the Plaid meltdown, Love to be a fly on that wallā€¦so we wait for the second shoe.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I wonder if it is just coincidence that the Plaid owner also heads up a multi-billion crypto coin company that Musk has shortedā€¦..just wondering.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
As far as I know, Musk owns no short options in any company, and no options to any company but Tesla.

Nor that he's ever said anything about that specific company.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Agreed

Sitting atop 400v batteries is avant-guard BEV design. It is pinnacle engineering best practice to put wet meat atop 100kW energy density. Thatā€™s driven safety forward. Proof in Engineering Safety that the driver survived. That a Tesla battery fire is survivable is takeaway #1

I am in agreement that a Plaid fire could just as easily happened to any one of the 250 deliveries. That it occurred immediately points to electrical in Tesla equipment. But driver inflicted damage isnā€™t ruled out.

Whatever the fire investigation in the Plaid meltdown, Love to be a fly on that wallā€¦so we wait for the second shoe.
Battery energy content that can't be released as fast as gasoline fuel: 100kWh = 360MJ
Gasoline fuel in a 15gallon tank that can explosively combust = 1020MJ

Take your pick which one you want to sit on to get somewhere.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Plaid burning, crappy questions, whatever...I'm waaaay more interested in
I will say that it might have had something to do with the fact that all of our trucks were modified diesel trucks that we ran on jet fuel to save money, but i'm pretty sure that it was just ICE vehicles catching on fire randomly.
How did you modify it? A/A-1? Did the fire chief knowingly sign off on this? So many questions

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I only ever asked once and they told me they changed the compression. it was Jet A-1, and I have no idea if anyone signed off on it but they had been doing it for decades
Sponsored