Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Dual Motor
Occupation
Customer Service
Country flag
I thought this was very interesting so I thought I would share. I see his points, don't agree with them all of course. It's interesting to see what someone who is very successful at car design thinks about something so polarizing though.

Sponsored

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
This dude's just Jealous he didn't think of it first. Reminds me of architectural reviewers. Many of the "Worst" architectural designs later became the most iconic. The Eiffel tower comes to mind.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Wow. I thought maybe I'd disagree with you guys, but...

...Everything he says is totally meaningless. Completely.

Has he never found a crystal in nature?

He specifically picked warm photos vs cold ones and then said more things which were gibberish.

And then he runs a TV ad for a car that doesn't exist.

He uses the word 'nature' when he means 'organic' and...

...Why does he compare it to sedans? Every word he uses to be negative about the Cybertruck - protective, hard, monolith - are words you want for something meant to do a job.

Gibberish. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that you can not see the beauty in a crystalline or protective or durable form is ahh... Well. Show badly upon him.

What cars has he designed?

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Hmmmm....
seems like his version of beauty has everything to do with smooth, curves, and soft. There can be beauty in that. Like the bare skin of a fit body.

I also find beauty in execution, efficiency, effectiveness, strength, and ultimate functionality. This is more where the CT shines.

And there are some decisions on the CT (SS skin and armored glass) that currently necessitate straight lines. It may be that as we move into the future that materials and processes develop to bring his beautiful curves into possibility for materials as strong and reliable as what the CT is using.

If that happens, I’ll be happy to entertain a curvy car. Till then I prioritize function over shape.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
None of his ideas were particularly good or unique. The era of McLaren have the fake mid-engine intakes and fake scoop that are on my Mazda 3.

Sheesh.

The Fiat 500 was cute, but it wasn't a novel design, either.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
None of his ideas were particularly good or unique. The era of McLaren have the fake mid-engine intakes and fake scoop that are on my Mazda 3.

Sheesh.

The Fiat 500 was cute, but it wasn't a novel design, either.

-Crissa
And those McLaren designs were Toyota supra

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Hey Guitar Lunatic, thank you for posting.

I think its a considered review from a great authority, with a number of hugely iconic design success’s. The assessment and his criticism is spot on.

The Cybertruck is exceedingly successful at its utilitarian objective.
And to me it has design / function elements that are very attractive,
but I too am concerned that it might be too sterile, especially on the inside.

And definitely some design elements could easily be improved if it wasn’t for the 3mm thick panels.
But that’s the two edged sword that comes with 3mm thick panels.

And he’s right, for anyone buying it for more than its pure function, it’s form does run the risk of being plain and boring quickly.

But I’ll take that risk anyway, for all the ways it’s far superior in its function.
And its Lamboesque profile.

And there’s ways you can from time to time easily refresh it, personalise it, at least cosmetically.
Its a great blank canvas, figuratively and literally.
No paint, Stainless Steel flat surface, one can do plenty with that.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I thought this was very interesting so I thought I would share. I see his points, don't agree with them all of course. It's interesting to see what someone who is very successful at car design thinks about something so polarizing though.

Hmmm. Well, the guy is into the beauty of a vehicle first and foremost. His criticisms are leveled at the stark appearance inside and out, and at the lines. He never addresses the functionality or the constraints of the material being used by Tesla or the conditions which give rise to it. Is the CT a paranoid design? Maybe it is, but we live in a time where people bash your car and walk away, where they key your car for almost no reason, where they carjack because they can, etc. do we really want some beautiful car that will cost a fortune to fix when any of these things happen? Not I. I want a truck, one that is versatile and can stand up to the conditions it might encounter, both environmental and cultural. I don’t give a dank what it looks like, and if intimidation keeps people away from my truck then all the better. Damn you Frank.