Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Its waste on a truck unless there are range-y reasons or miracle battery magic to be had.
No, as your prior paragraph said, they can use that to gear much, much lower and provide the torque a powerful truck needs without killing the range efficiency.

Tesla can then use the front motor at a different gearing to create efficiency at highway speed. Even if it's a small amount, every percent counts.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Lasttoy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 S. CT ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am hoping it will become the normal, but could see it being only on the ‘performance’ models…

What do others think about any of the tech from the S Plaid to come to the Cybertruck?
From a strictly money standpoint. It would be more cost effective to just produce one motor for every model car. Less parts inventory, one assembly line. One trainng line for technicians. It would make every aspect cheaper, faster, better. In economics that a win, win, win for profit. One only wants one platform. Just put the same in every model period and save billions.

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
No, as your prior paragraph said, they can use that to gear much, much lower and provide the torque a powerful truck needs without killing the range efficiency.

Tesla can then use the front motor at a different gearing to create efficiency at highway speed. Even if it's a small amount, every percent counts.

-Crissa
Did you see that torque graph? Plaid would give flat line linear power. Unlike ICE which develops power non-linearly. The torque profile would remain consistent over the rpm band.

What that buys is efficiency at low rpm’s. And hp would be interesting to see mapped against torque. Lots of software twiddling to balance low and slow with that ramp-up on torque?

Getting managable throttle w/o breaking traction sounds like traction control via breaking doesn’t it? Engine braking should be regen golden.

Plaid is shaping up to be a whole different art. Excited to see the system Tesla engineers for Cybertruck pilots!LOL

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
If Carbon wrapped rotor more likely to explode earlier,
It's less likely to explode at any speed but that's not why I am writing this. It is in reference to the linked article. This article says that new information has come to light making it clear that the new motors are PMSRM. I tried every way I could to make this consistent with Elon's words

Main advantage of this is a much stronger EM field compared with a rotor that is held together by metal (usually high strength steel).
Other advantage is that rotor can go to higher RPM, as carbon sleeve (mostly) stops copper rotor from expanding due to radial acceleration.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 13, 2021
but I can't. They seem to make it clear that the rotors contain copper and there isn't any copper in a PMSRM rotor. So at this point I don't know what to think. Is this guy just another guy on the internet who doesn't know what he is talking about or does he really have some inside information? I guess we'll just have to wait until Sandy Munroe takes one apart to know for sure.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Did you see that torque graph?
No. Is it linked in this thread?

The torque profile would remain consistent over the rpm band.
That is a characteristic of induction motors.

What that buys is efficiency at low rpm’s.
To get torque at low speed requires lots of current and that means lower efficiency at low speeds. That's why BEVs with IM's exhibit poor mileage at low speed.

And hp would be interesting to see mapped against torque.
Show me the torque vs speed graph and I'll lay the power curves over it.

Lots of software twiddling to balance low and slow with that ramp-up on torque?
The control algorithms for these cars have to be incredibly sophisticated.

Getting managable throttle w/o breaking traction sounds like traction control via breaking doesn’t it? Engine braking should be regen golden.
Part of these control algorithms require knowledge of motor rotor position vis a vis the stator magnetic field. Torque is controlled by varying stator current and, in the case of an IM, slip (rotor slip). Acceleration is brought about by increasing rotor slip (magnetic field rotating faster than the rotor). Decceleration is brought about by slowing the magnetic field so that it rotates slower than the rotor. As a consequence of this wheel slip is also known and torque can be controlled to keep it in the linear part of the slip curve. Should slip get out of the linear region it is obviously easily brought back in by reducing motor torque.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
It's less likely to explode at any speed but that's not why I am writing this. It is in reference to the linked article. This article says that new information has come to light making it clear that the new motors are PMSRM. I tried every way I could to make this consistent with Elon's words

but I can't. They seem to make it clear that the rotors contain copper and there isn't any copper in a PMSRM rotor. So at this point I don't know what to think. Is this guy just another guy on the internet who doesn't know what he is talking about or does he really have some inside information? I guess we'll just have to wait until Sandy Munroe takes one apart to know for sure.
I just read the article and it looks like he came to the same conclusions we did in previous threads.

It would be nice to see this new information and who the source was. I'm hoping it was not just from the Alex tweet question below.

In the mean time I have found some video and pictures of the CF wrapped motors as below:

This shows the CF motor assembly from various angles, however not the internal structure of the rotor itself. Note in the presentation animation showing the battery pack, that 3 CF rotors are all shown at once just before the drivetrain assemblies are placed on top. This would indicate that at least on the Plaid (and probably the TM CT at least, if not all models) they are using the same CF motor. It's unlikely they would have done the presentation to not show how it was done. EM also mentions "tightly wound rotor" and "small gap".

On the HVAC he also says it provides 30% improvement in cold weather range, and requires 50% less energy in freezing conditions.

At the 5:17 mark there's a tweet from Alex asking about if they are "post-assembly magnetized", because of the high curing temperatures for CF. Elon doesn't confirm or deny anything here, just says "we have to keep some secrets".

Obviously a IM doesn't have magnets, a PM does, and I think this may be the articles source for it supposedly being a PM. What it actually is a good question, but here is a comment from EM on the M3 motor:

"

It's interesting that he says "partial" permanent magnet rear motor. It's also interesting that they are just testing the units they produce to see which go into a AWD M3 or performance M3. Just like CPU/GPU manufacturing, where die grading allows for overclocking with better heat management. (Just like the post purchase performance upgrade option)

But the reality is EM didn't confirm the CF motor had magnets, in the alex tweet, or if that is how they made it. Plus there are alternative low temperature CF curing methods they could of used instead if the heat demagnetization was an issue.

This question about demagnetization also raises another issue with PM types, in that 80C is not a particularly high operational temperature for a high performance motor.
Has there been any reports of demag in current Teslas reducing range and performance because of temperature?

This is the Plaid CF rotor:

Tesla Cybertruck Carbon wrapped rotor motor… s%2F3_ce870711-09d4-4c32-bcb5-3b8f6153248c_600x600

These are the CF rotors and they really do not look like these PM tesla rotors where the magnets are visible on the ends:

Tesla Cybertruck Carbon wrapped rotor motor… ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP

These are also articles of interest regarding motor design:

https://electrek.co/2018/05/19/tesl...-version-ac-induction-permanent-magnet-motor/

https://electrek.co/2018/02/27/tesla-model-3-motor-designer-permanent-magnet-motor/

BTW this is the Plaid power curve (not torque) from the presentation:

Tesla Cybertruck Carbon wrapped rotor motor… ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIF

Last edited:

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just read the article and it looks like he came to the same conclusions we did in previous threads.

It would be nice to see this new information and who the source was. I'm hoping it was not just from the Alex tweet question below.

In the mean time I have found some video and pictures of the CF wrapped motors as below:

This shows the CF motor assembly from various angles, however not the internal structure of the rotor itself. Note in the presentation animation showing the battery pack, that 3 CF rotors are all shown at once just before the drivetrain assemblies are placed on top. This would indicate that at least on the Plaid (and probably the TM CT at least, if not all models) they are using the same CF motor. It's unlikely they would have done the presentation to not show how it was done. EM also mentions "tightly wound rotor" and "small gap".

On the HVAC he also says it provides 30% improvement in cold weather range, and requires 50% less energy in freezing conditions.

At the 5:17 mark there's a tweet from Alex asking about if they are "post-assembly magnetized", because of the high curing temperatures for CF. Elon doesn't confirm or deny anything here, just says "we have to keep some secrets".

Obviously a IM doesn't have magnets, a PM does, and I think this may be the articles source for it supposedly being a PM. What it actually is a good question, but here is a comment from EM on the M3 motor:

"

It's interesting that he says "partial" permanent magnet rear motor. It's also interesting that they are just testing the units they produce to see which go into a AWD M3 or performance M3. Just like CPU/GPU manufacturing, where die grading allows for overclocking with better heat management. (Just like the post purchase performance upgrade option)

But the reality is EM didn't confirm the CF motor had magnets, in the alex tweet, or if that is how they made it. Plus there are alternative low temperature CF curing methods they could of used instead if the heat demagnetization was an issue.

This question about demagnetization also raises another issue with PM types, in that 80C is not a particularly high operational temperature for a high performance motor.
Has there been any reports of demag in current Teslas reducing range and performance because of temperature?

s%2F3_ce870711-09d4-4c32-bcb5-3b8f6153248c_600x600.jpg

These are the CF rotors and they really do not look like these PM tesla rotors where the magnets are visible on the ends:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

These are also interested articles of interest regarding motor design:

https://electrek.co/2018/05/19/tesl...-version-ac-induction-permanent-magnet-motor/

https://electrek.co/2018/02/27/tesla-model-3-motor-designer-permanent-magnet-motor/

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIF.jpg
What's interesting is that Elon Musk said of the new Plaid motor "The Plaid carbon-wrapped motor is arguably the most advanced motor on Earth outside of maybe a lab somewhere".

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I thought we came to the conclusion that these motors are CRIMs. This article does not conclude that. It states that he knows they are PMSRMs.

... but here is a comment from EM on the M3 motor:

"

It's interesting that he says "partial" permanent magnet rear motor.
Note the date on that tweet. He was clearly talking about the PMSRM motors that Tesla was introducing in that time frame. In those motors part of the torque comes from the PMs, part from reluctance force.

No he didn't. He entirely dodged the question answering it with something about how advanced these motors were.

Eventual demagnetization is a weakness of PM motors for sure and heat accelerates it.

Musk has Tweeted:
"...carbon sleeve must put copper rotor in compression..."
"...stops copper in rotor from expanding..."

From this I conclude that there is copper in the rotor and that, therefore, these are induction motors. As such their torque derives from slip meaning that the stator field rotates faster than the rotor. Magnets produce torque by following the field. Were there slip there would be lots of cogging. So I conclude no magnets. WRT to temperature copper melts at 1084 °C. CRIM rotors are made by injecting molten copper into the steel lamination stack. Here's a nice pic of one:

Tesla Cybertruck Carbon wrapped rotor motor… CRIM

One of the big challenges (evidently now solved) was dies that could withstand the high temperature without failing after a few shots. Imagine what these temperatures would do to a magnet.

s%2F3_ce870711-09d4-4c32-bcb5-3b8f6153248c_600x600.jpg
This photo is, perhaps intentionally, too dark to see if the ring has a coppery color and the wrap obscures the bars of the squirrel cage.

At this point there is little (but not zero) doubt in my mind that these motors are CRIM and that the linked posting is BS.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIF.jpg
The torque curve is easily derived from this curve as it is the classic curve. [Edit: he said 2000 kg and I heard 2000 lbs so the numbers that used to appear here were off.] The car weighs 2000 kg and accelerates linearly from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds. That's acceleration of 13.3 m/s/s (1.36g!). The thrust required to do this is 2000*13.3 = 26.6 kN.

The top speed is 200 mph (88.9 m/s) at which speed the motors are producing 746 kW (1000 HP) presumably at 20,000 rpm. Assuming each produces 1/3 of this that is 249 kW each at 2*pi*20000/60 = 2094 rad/sec. Thus torque from each motor must be 249000/2094 = 117.9 N-m. At 60 mph power is also 1000 hp but rotor speed is 60/200 = 0.3 of 20000 rpm. Thus the torque at 60 must be 3.3333*117.9 = 393 N-m from each motor. The torque vs speed curve thus is flat from 0 to 60 mph at 393 N-m per motor and from there tapers linearly down to 117.9 N-m at 200 mph. Unless I made a math mistake.

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I thought we came to the conclusion that these motors are CRIMs. This article does not conclude that. It states that he knows they are PMSRMs.

This photo is, perhaps intentionally, too dark to see if the ring has a coppery color and the wrap obscures the bars of the squirrel cage.

At this point there is little (but not zero) doubt in my mind that these motors are CRIM and that the linked posting is BS.
I completely agree that our conclusion was CRIMs on the other thread. I still think that they are now, even after that EM tweet where he dodges the demag question.

But in the article he changes his assumptions by crossing out the IM parts and editing it to PM, likely because he thought that demag tweet meant they were PM.

The torque curve is easily derived from this curve as it is the classic curve. The car weighs 910 kg and accelerates linearly from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds. That's acceleration of 13.3 m/s/s (1.36g!). The thrust required to do this is 910*13.3 = 12.1 kN.

The top speed is 200 mph (88.9 m/s) at which speed the motors are producing 746 kW (1000 HP) presumably at 20,000 rpm. Assuming each produces 1/3 of this that is 249 kW each at 2*pi*20000/60 = 2094 rad/sec. Thus torque from each motor must be 249000/2094 = 117.9 N-m. At 60 mph power is also 1000 hp but rotor speed is 60/200 = 0.3 of 20000 rpm. Thus the torque at 60 must be 3.3333*117.9 = 393 N-m from each motor. The torque vs speed curve thus is flat from 0 to 60 mph at 393 N-m per motor and from there tapers linearly down to 117.9 N-m at 200 mph. Unless I made a math mistake.
Car weight needs another 1000kg? But maybe you used that in the calc already anyway?
Also Is that wheel or motor torque?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
But in the article he changes his assumptions by crossing out the IM parts and editing it to PM, likely because he thought that demag tweet meant they were PM.
Don't remember the exact words but he said something about other information being brought to his attention without saying where this came from.

Car weight needs another 1000kg? But maybe you used that in the calc already anyway?
Also Is that wheel or motor torque?
I used that mass number because Elon said in the presentation that the car weighed 2000 lbs.

The torque numbers are at the motor and are for each motor.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Plaid is 2162kg, LR 2069kg according to Tesla.com

910kg would be extremely light. Less than a MX 5.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Welll he said 2000 lbs. Maybe he meant kg. If its 2000 kg then double all my numbers. It did strike me a bit light. Or I have wax in my ears or on my brain. Checked the video. He said "2 ton" which is 2000 kg. I'll go back and fix it.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Plaid is a Tri motor. I wonder if all motors are CRIMs? Dual motor Model S has IM and PMSM.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag