Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Have both Tesla & 1772 chargers at my isolated NorCal location...listed on PlugShare. SmilingDogsRanch....you can always buy a bottle of wine.
You sir, may be accused of being a gentleman
Sponsored

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
speaking of destination chargers and superchargers, I tuned in my closet supercharger the other day because I was interested in finding the new 24 superchargers in Irvine.....lo and behold I was steered over to them....They are just off Jamboree in the first level od a parking structure.....As I turned in, there was not a soul there.....guess why........there is a gate there and you have to take a ticket and pay for parking while charging.....unbelievable......Tesla puts 24 brand new superchargers and there is no one there....as I tried to figure out how to get out a young lady came over to me and told me I had to take a ticket and within 5 mins exit or I would be charges $3.50....I asked her why they don't let cars charge without having to pay and she replied because thats the way it is and it I don't like it, don't charge there......well you guided it, I won't be back.....I would not have minded to pay, but it was the attitude of the person there and the arrogance of the parking structure owners to charge.....great restaurants there too......hope they build more in Irvine where people can charge with having to pay for parking.....

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
the arrogance of the parking structure owners to charge...
You're in Irvine. You should be paying for parking. It's a destination. Parking structures aren't free. They cost to build, maintain, police, and then cost everyone around them as they take up space, need big roads to connect to, etc.

Gonna hafta not be in an urban area not to pay for the tarmac you're putting your vehicle on.

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You're in Irvine. You should be paying for parking. It's a destination. Parking structures aren't free. They cost to build, maintain, police, and then cost everyone around them as they take up space, need big roads to connect to, etc.

Gonna hafta not be in an urban area not to pay for the tarmac you're putting your vehicle on.

-Crissa
well, I dont think it is a destination charger.....its a brand new supercharger.....the other Irvine supercharger on Michelson is in a parking garage ¼ mile from this one....its FREE.....this parking structure has been there for 25 years....I think it is paid for by now.....with the limited number of chargers in the Irvine area, and the ever increasing number of Tesla on the road, I think it was a mistake to put 24 chargers with almost no activity when people are waiting in line for the other chargers

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I did not say that.

They should charge you for the parking structure there, too.

-Crissa
why....I charge all over the southland and all in parking structures....never a charge

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, la-de-da. What a waste of resources. Parking structures are too expensive to be free.

-Crissa
well....la-de da to you too.....maybe I should move back to San Jose where everything is so much cheaper than Irvine

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I guess you haven't been here recently.

-Crissa
oh yea....commute every....work at corner of Patrick Henry and Tasman....10 years....everywhere you go you have to pay for parking........have apt at rio Robles apt

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
... the new 24 superchargers in Irvine.....lo and behold I was steered over to them....They are just off Jamboree in the first level od a parking structure.....As I turned in, there was not a soul there.....guess why........there is a gate there and you have to take a ticket and pay for parking while charging.....unbelievable......
The more probable reason you were the only one there is that you were the only one looking for a charger at that particular time of day. i have certainly been the only person at a multi stall SC station - several times. Super chargers are like many other things electric. You have to size for peak demand. If planning shows that on average 48 cars charge per day at a location you can't divide by 24 and install 2 chargers especially if you know that most of the charging at that station takes place during noon and rush hours. The simple fact is that most chargers in a station are idle most of the time. This strikes me as a little funny but I don't see any way around it.

As to the rent: welcome to the modern world. Parking space in a modern city has high income producing potential. Land owners can't afford to turn their backs on that. Many businesses used to cover their customer's parking (validate your ticket). This, I have noticed, is becoming rare.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You have an apartment in one of the most overheated housing markets in the country but don't live there?

-Crissa
I do often...but I mostly commute....there are times when I enjoy playing golf or riding my BMW motorcycle around the mountains or along the coast......I have good friends there, so sometimes I stay for social activities

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The more probable reason you were the only one there is that you were the only one looking for a charger at that particular time of day. i have certainly been the only person at a multi stall SC station - several times. Super chargers are like many other things electric. You have to size for peak demand. If planning shows that on average 48 cars charge per day at a location you can't divide by 24 and install 2 chargers especially if you know that most of the charging at that station takes place during noon and rush hours. The simple fact is that most chargers in a station are idle most of the time. This strikes me as a little funny but I don't see any way around it.

As to the rent: welcome to the modern world. Parking space in a modern city has high income producing potential. Land owners can't afford to turn their backs on that. Many businesses used to cover their customer's parking (validate your ticket). This, I have noticed, is becoming rare.
yep......I was at the charge station around 1300 if I remember correctly
Sponsored