Cleaning - BKF not working -scrub harder?

Cyberjam

First Name
Stotnova
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FS AWD, miniHummer EV (grandkids)
Occupation
Retired/sometime Rockstar
Country flag
If you read the post I was replying to, he was adding Windex to Bar Keeper's Friend:

Windex is for glass and fingerprints. It doesn't help (and actively interferes with) cleaners other than surfactants. As Cybergus says, mild acids grab the free iron that may start rust crystals.

I prefer a low sudsing biodegradable surfactant and or isopropyl alcohol.

Spot cleaning ≠ rinsing a steel cleaner.

-Crissa

PS, some of you guys need to start asking the person who gets the spots from your shirts how different cleaners work.
Hi, Crissa. I appreciate your insights into the stainless steel finish. I have had great success removing fingermarks by using a spray bottle with water, adding about 10% white vinegar, and then wiping it up with a paper towel. No streaks. To the extent you would know, could this solution harm the finish? It seems pretty innocuous but I would like a second opinion. Thanks!
Sponsored

big.garcilla

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S 2016.5 Cybertruck 2024
Country flag
hi, I'm lost in reading all this.

I was told at the dealer to use BKF, i read that i should use the liquid.
i am using bkf soft liquid.

I did my frunk and it is very shiny, a few markings that didn't go away. I rinsed with a bucket of water (is that enough water?) and then wiped with a towel.

i also did a spot where bird droppings had fallen. It is a differnt shard of silver now then the rest.

In simple terms. Is this right ? or am I messing up.

thanks (ignore my other newb post).

Kindest/jesus

Tesla Cybertruck Cleaning - BKF not working -scrub harder? bkf

Tesla Cybertruck Cleaning - BKF not working -scrub harder? tesla-ct-hood

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
To the extent you would know, could this solution harm the finish? It seems pretty innocuous but I would like a second opinion. Thanks!
No, vinegar shouldn't harm anything at 0.5% strength.

hi, I'm lost in reading all this.

I was told at the dealer to use BKF, i read that i should use the liquid.
i am using bkf soft liquid.

I did my frunk and it is very shiny, a few markings that didn't go away. I rinsed with a bucket of water (is that enough water?) and then wiped with a towel.

i also did a spot where bird droppings had fallen. It is a differnt shard of silver now then the rest.

In simple terms. Is this right ? or am I messing up.

thanks (ignore my other newb post).

Kindest/jesus

bkf.jpg

tesla-ct-hood.jpg
You will want to soak the marks in neutral suds, before you use barkeeper's friend. Bar Keeper's Friend isn't designed to remove oils or debris except mechanically. Then once you have the oil marks off, use the Bar Keeper's Friend. And yes, it'll make the stainless shinier.

If the oil marks weren't removed before you do a more general wipe, you'll get shadows like that where they were. And you'll have to do it again.

In the case of little dots like that, you may need to let it sit a bit more, applied with a swab... Remember, it's only lightly acidic so it takes time or mechanical action to speed things along.

-Crissa

PS, I'm remembering this from having cleaned many a professional kitchen; trying to match finishes was not something I have ever really done ^-^;

Good luck!

Last edited:

Bothwalien

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3LR
Country flag
"Bar Keepers Friend More" spray has the same ingredients but without the micro-abrasives as in the original powder and liquid. I think it's less likely to cause unintended marking, especially if you use a microfiber towel for application. I didn't have to use anything highly abrasive to get the spots and marks out.
Sponsored