[CLOSED DUE TO POLITICS] "White House considers vehicle mileage tax to fund infrastructure"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
the owner requested some "_____ report" Tesla refused so the owner went to a person who retrieved the info and
Yes, you attach to the odb port on any car and download the data. You have to have physical access to the car to do this, and most cars don't have logs like Teslas do.

And as you pointed out, Tesla refused to give it to just anyone, not even the owner.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
With Teslas ( and future vehicles I imagine) it can be uploaded randomly,
Good point. If I may add to that:

I can pull up the Mopar app on my phone right now and see my Jeeps odometer shows 23,021 miles, my gas tank is 67% full, my tires have 35,35,34 and 36 psi in them and my engine oil has 76% life left.

Apparently the future is now.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Supertankers/cargo ships ARE the worst because they use "bunker fuel" - so let's STOP using these Earth destroying grotesque things, it is estimated that around 5,222 ( another site estimated WAYYYYYYYYYYY more than that) of these things go EVERY DAY: do the MATH with the following paragraph and you will see the TRUE polluters.

"...It has been estimated that just one of these container ships, the length of around six football pitches, can produce the same amount of pollution as 50 million cars. The emissions from 15 of these mega-ships match those from all the cars in the world...."

So I do not view my "fuel-efficient" vehicle (s) as the "PROBLEM".

I read awhile back that trees, bushes, greenery... remove good amounts of Co2. Now I own property (s) with a lot of trees, grass, shrubs..., with THAT in mind I should be receiving good sums of cash because I am "carbon negative" and carbon negative to such a degree I would not be able to be "carbon positive".

But yes, cleaner is better.
you'd have to show that your property is carbon negative for that to be reasonable, and I doubt it is, as plants grow and die and decompose. At best its carbon neutral.

Cyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
As we incorporate more solar there will be proposals to tax sunshine.
I'm waiting for this. Had Solar and PWs installed, but I can see several excuses they'll use as power COOPs lose revenue over the next 10-15 years.

OP
OP

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
you'd have to show that your property is carbon negative for that to be reasonable, and I doubt it is, as plants grow and die and decompose. At best its carbon neutral.
Interesting, there was an ad many many years ago that promoted the idea of "trees are beneficial" to a city - the City itself did this campaign - because each tree removed a lot (ton/tons) of pollutants (including Co2) from the air each year and having many such trees would "do wonders" for air quality. Mind you they didn't touch on bushes, shrubs, grass... but those NEED Co2 also.

But I see your point.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

If others don't need cars, that's more room on the roads for our trucks ^-^

And yes, trees sequester carbon and pollutants. But a field of crops can emit more carbon, that's one reason bare soil is bad. It can also get released in fires, like the west had last year. It burned through our forest soils.

-Crissa

Reactions: Bud

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I put 22,000 miles on my work truck in a year, and that's usually a deductible since it's wear and tear.

Does anybody know of this will apply to businesses since that's why puts a majority of miles on roads?

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Many businesses already pay per mile. But this is just in the early planning stage right now.

-Crissa
Mine doesn't, but I'm a sole proprietorship.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Those cuts lowered all effective tax rates in every bracket, lowered withholdings for hourly workers and doubled the standard deduction for individuals and married couples from 6k to 12k and from 12k to 24k. I know it’s not what Trevor Noah told you, but some objective research could do wonders for you my friend.
disproportionally ...... tell me why someone that makes a quarter million plus a year needs a tax cut? they don't.

OP
OP

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
I put 22,000 miles on my work truck in a year, and that's usually a deductible since it's wear and tear.

Does anybody know of this will apply to businesses since that's why puts a majority of miles on roads?
Now they "seem" to be backtracking.

A few things I have learned and one is: When an agency/company... telegraphs/ floats out an idea rest assured they are "putting out feelers" and planning on how to implement that idea w/out creating to much backflash.

Jon Snow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS85D
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I think you’re right. This is less about “EV fairness” and more about “tax anything and everything possible while we have the majority”.
I’m going to jump on you over your tribal comment. Please just stop it. Tribalism has to go. Focus on the issue. How do we appropriately tax to support infrastructure. We need evidence-based and rational thought .. not tribal BS. Sorry for the rant but our country is dying over this BS.

BenH

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Landscaper
Country flag
In Ohio, I know I will have to pay a $200 EV fee for my vehicle renewal. It's been explained to me that's about the same as tax on 10 gallons of gas a week.

If I understand the proposal of you get taxed for every mile you drive. I easily but 13,000 miles a year on a car. Probably more. One year I put on over 18,000 miles on a Buick.

my average year
0.018 X 13,000 = $234.00

Oregon’s tax rate of 1.8 cents per mile is equivalent to the 36-cent gas tax paid by a vehicle that gets 20 miles per gallon. Someone driving about 11,500 miles a year would pay about $207. That leaves owners of hybrids paying more than they otherwise would. It would be a good deal for drivers of large SUVs or pickup trucks, but in 2019, the legislature limited enrollment of new vehicles to those that get at least 20 miles per gallon.

In this case, $200 a year renewal is a deal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/interactive/2021/electric-mileage-tax/
In east coast, we have to pay toll on many roads. so, we have to double pay?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.