O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think this is a positive sign that they are gearing up to show off the updated version of the cybertruck... which almost certainly means new pricing and specs. I mean heck... 2021 is almost over.. Production was originally supposed to be starting... might as well show us something.. please ??
yep....remember when we ordered, they had not included the sideways drive for parking and off-road, solar panels, camping options.....big increase there.....it may cause some CT3 orders to drop to CT2.....not sure, but I think Tesla is gearing up to release new specs, options, and possible pricing......I have CT3 with FSD for $69k.....not sure I will stay there if all the extra items increases truck another 15-20k.......its been almost 2 yrs and we dont have any ideas on what we will get, except a stainless steel truck.....no door handles......they are still in engineering phase also, so wait ahead
Sponsored

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Who, knows. But speculation is they’ll release the tri motors first. And I got a dual motor. Now I want the tri motor but do not want to lose any spots in-line. Especially if that’s not true. Put my order in when Elon said pre reservations are now open
yes, I want to add FSD cause it not listed on my order even though I ordered it....but I too am scared it will change my reservation number to change it....

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Simple. They are getting ready to introduce a new CT that will appeal to the masses and use old batteries. This CT will be a limited production as in Tri-Motor or nothing. Either that or they are finally going to raise the prices as expected, and if you have already made a reservation you will pay the new price, don't expect to pay the old price, it's just going to happen.
price increase and old batteries......not going to make people happy......Elon has said repeatedly, CT will have 4680's....I would not take delivery with 2170's......it is also a change in design of the truck for that.....too much work for Tesla to do that unless they are currently running 2 different versions in prototypes......not a good business decision to do this

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Remember when Elon was talking to Jay Leno about how Tesla won’t do production cars that aren’t as good as the concept?

Price is changing one of the fundamental parts of what Tesla offered on launch day. Value has always been a fundamental feature of this car.

I can’t see Musk changing the price any more than changing the towing capacity.

Value is fundamental here. It is as much a part of this truck as it’s towing capacity. More important to a huge number of buyers in fact.

Juanito

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Occupation
Self Employed
Country flag

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
If you live in Southern California, it is a pleasant sunny day leading into the weekend. Nothing to worry about here.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I don’t know why people think Tesla is going to change their stripes suddenly. Or why people think this stuff affects Tesla uniquely.
I think part of the freakout is due to the fact we have seen a lot of things in the past year that we perceive as not normal; COVID, used car prices, Tesla prices going up instead of down, ……. and Tesla silence treatment kinda helps with letting our imagination run wild too and for some of us that didn’t buy Tesla stocks, doom and gloom seem much more natural now.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Unless you're over near Santa Barbara, where it's horrible and smokey.

-Crissa
The worst part about your comment is I read John K’s and thought… doesn’t that mean fire weather in SoCal?

Didn’t realize there was still a big active fire… just assumed it was likely.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think part of the freakout is due to the fact we have seen a lot of things in the past year that we perceive as not normal; COVID, used car prices, Tesla prices going up instead of down, ……. and Tesla silence treatment kinda helps with letting our imagination run wild too and for some of us that didn’t buy Tesla stocks, doom and gloom seem much more natural now.
Yep

The silent treatment over delays leading into this weird behavior on specs and prices. Certainly makes me a lot less confident about them holding their prices.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Remember when Elon was talking to Jay Leno about how Tesla won’t do production cars that aren’t as good as the concept?

Price is changing one of the fundamental parts of what Tesla offered on launch day. Value has always been a fundamental feature of this car.

I can’t see Musk changing the price any more than changing the towing capacity.

Value is fundamental here. It is as much a part of this truck as it’s towing capacity. More important to a huge number of buyers in fact.
Price could go up 10% or more, by the time it is in volume production, and the value will still be there, considering the current trend in inflation. ?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Price could go up 10% or more, by the time it is in volume production, and the value will still be there, considering the current trend in inflation. ?
It’s a fair point. But I think that’s vacillating. At the unveiling, price was that absolute WOW moment. Until then people were thinking this was some kind of oddball vanity project which was going to be six figures.

If they bumped the price of the tri-motor config to $77,000 (10%), that is very very close to the max dollar amount they will allow for the rebate. That means zero options are possible. Kiss Solar goodbye. That is almost guaranteed to drop me back to the dual motor config.

I know a lot of people who said literally “I didn’t really want a truck but…“ increasing the price by 10% may well drop a lot of those off the map. Maybe if Tesla stock goes nuts like today I’ll change my theory.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Here’s another way of looking at the vanished spec as and prices.

Right now we have over a million reservations. Likely 1.25m and possible as much as 2m. Even producing 500k/ year Tesla is going to take 3-4 years to burn through that backlog. It is possible that Tesla can reliably predict costs 2-3 years out, via long term contracts, but in 4 years?

At the same time, battery tech is changing fast, the design of the truck is likely to shift as well and they will want room to change specs.

It’s likely a big part of this is just that Tesla doesn’t want to sell pre-orders for a product which is so far out. Particularly when you consider time from launch (Nov 2019) to time until the time of when the last current order is slated to ship. If it takes them 4 years to ship 1m trucks and It’s launched end of 2022, that means it’s 7 years from announcement to delivery.
Sponsored

Last edited: