Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired Vet
Country flag
Simple. They are getting ready to introduce a new CT that will appeal to the masses and use old batteries. This CT will be a limited production as in Tri-Motor or nothing. Either that or they are finally going to raise the prices as expected, and if you have already made a reservation you will pay the new price, don't expect to pay the old price, it's just going to happen.

Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tachoma, Jeeps
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag
I think, first, the people and money that were working on CT have been shifted temporarialy to get the Y production up to full speed in Texas and elsewhere. This is just like what happened at Tesla with the solar roofing interruption to get the Model 3 production up. It makes sense: Do one thing at a time, and do it well.

Next, I think when the CT is finally released, it will be akin to how the Roadster led the team: meaning a top of the line, in terms of speed, power, distance, versatility, etc., truck of no equal! It will set the pace for future Tesla trucks, which will then be somewhat less extreme, and more affordable in future years.

This pause will also do one other thing: It will give the CT engineers time to think, and to improve and refine the CT. Yes I also expect possibly 4 motors, and perhaps 1000 miles on a charge, who knows. Something will be improved.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Also have to replace the pure stainless tri motor photo with one with the new laser etched plaid pattern on the back tailgate.
S.S. tatoo! Cool

Plaid crosses from cyber technology to print to clothing to film. Plaid provides a lot of runway for Tesla.

However, a driver can narrow focus on a wide field of color even in a fixed state of attention. This explains how people can drive into a stopped car at stoplight with its brakelights burning. Also, the reason why third brake lights were implemented.

Tesla may think twice before giving people laser etched tatoos to stare at on the backend of Cybertrucks.

Beyond

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Austin Model Y LR, Subie Fozzie & Cybertruck day1
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The premium priced versions are always the first to go into production. Lucid and Rivian are following the same formula. Their top of the line models are going into production first to maximize revenue.

For example, 100 Tri Motor Cybertruck sales with zero options is $7 million in revenue as opposed to $5 million for 100 Dual Motor sales. One financial institution estimsted that the ATP (average transaction price) for a Cybertruck will be around $65k. That’s about the base price for a 2021 Ford Raptor. Good luck finding one that is not marked up $5-$15k over the MSRP.
Most likely. On the other hand the tri motor version will use almost 1.7x the batteries of the dual and 2x of the single. So it might depend somewhat on battery availability in determining production capacity and profitability. Perhaps some lower spec vehicles will use LFP cells. LFP cells can easily be made in the same 4680 form factor and those vehicles would be far less expensive to produce. I have a first day dual motor on order, a 3rd day single and another dual motor (about 5th day). I intend to buy them all but might upgrade the single motor if the availability and pricing makes sense. Best thing I can think of to leave to my kids (I'm almost 72).

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Tesla will improve on everything that GM has ever thought about
It is good to know Tesla pays that much attention to what GM thinks about. GM had rear wheel steering long before CT reveal. Tesla only added it after Hummer. I am not questioning Tesla’s ingenuity. What I am questioning is whether Elon’s obsession with being the best makes CT production date a moving target.

I don't see the benefit and they won't be carrying around more mass to have it turned on with a subscription upgrade.
I certainly see the benefit of 4 motors. Instantaneous access to torque and traction at each contact point to the ground gives more control to the trucks behavior that can have over the air update at a deeper level. Whether it is worth it is a different question. I have no clue what the additional cost and inefficiencies of producing Three powertrains vs one, cost of each motor and possibility of upgrade from each user is. So you could be absolutely correct that it is not worth it for Tesla but if the upgrade price was the same as the cost of the motors to Tesla, I absolutely would go for a quad.

I think Tesla will try like hell to honor pricing for reservation holders.
I certainly hope you are correct.

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Maybe they have nailed down the specifications and need to determine which orders are real and we will be contacted to place a $2500?? real deposit down?

As a stockholder I think it was the right move. They can't hold prices the same for ever and risk bad PR if they raise them. I still want to know what affect 4 wheel steering will have on the price.

I am kicking myself for not placing another order. That said 2 $2500?? deposits would not be fun.
As a future CT3 owner, I would love for them to ask for $2500 or $5000 to thin the herd. As a stockholder, I purchased $302,000 worth of Tesla in December 13, 2019 ($72.21 per share) after I placed an order for the Cybertruck on November 21, 2019 because I believe in Telsa as a company. That investment is up 1,052% and is now worth $3,471,024 ($832.46). So basically, I will be getting a free Cybertruck from Elon Musk...and then some. That investment is up 1.65% ($56,392) today, which is basically a Model Y Performance ($56,940).

Last edited:

CyberROD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired Vet
Country flag
Here is the Purchase Agreement when you made your Reservation:

Agreement to Purchase. You agree to pre-order the vehicle (the “Vehicle”) that you configured when you made your Pre-Order Payment and by taking delivery, comple?ng the transac?on when the Vehicle is ready for delivery from Tesla, Inc. or its affiliate (“we,” “us” or “our”), pursuant to the terms and condi?ons of this Agreement. Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with a Tesla representative. Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.

Personally I don't expect Tesla to Honor their initial pricing, it doesn't make sense considering it has most likely become more expensive to build, hence Elon's comments about it being a million dollar truck.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It is good to know Tesla pays that much attention to what GM thinks about. GM had rear wheel steering long before CT reveal. Tesla only added it after Hummer. I am not questioning Tesla’s ingenuity. What I am questioning is whether Elon’s obsession with being the best makes CT production date a moving target.
I’m more concerned that chasing GM & Rivian will result in increasing prices. I don’t think Tesla will boost the price for pre-orders, but the more things which get added, the more anxious I get about it.

We still don’t have enough 4680 cell production to make Cybertrucks so I’m not overly worried about feature creep causing delays.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Who needs advertising when just taking info OFF your website causes everyone to blog about it?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Personally I don't expect Tesla to Honor their initial pricing, it doesn't make sense considering it has most likely become more expensive to build, hence Elon's comments about it being a million dollar truck.
Elon’s comments about a million dollar truck were referring to scale not features.

I expect Tesla will do what they have always done. What Rivian did, and what Ford will do.

Honor the prices they advertised.

I don’t know why people think Tesla is going to change their stripes suddenly. Or why people think this stuff affects Tesla uniquely.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You may, but lots of other people will. It's moot, as Tesla has never missed it before, except in the canceled Model Y Standard Range.

By state law, parts they did promise, like FSD, must be honored.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You may, but lots of other people will. It's moot, as Tesla has never missed it before, except in the canceled Model Y Standard Range.

By state law, parts they did promise, like FSD, must be honored.

-Crissa
They delivered the Model Y SR. It was even available for non-reservation holders on the site for a couple weeks. Then it was moved off-menu for even longer.

I think the only car they didn’t deliver after taking pre-order money is the Model S Plaid+.

CyberROD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired Vet
Country flag
Again, it's in your agreement when you placed your reservation. It'll be interesting to see the reactions when people are still looking to configure a $39K CT only to find out it went up about $5k.

As far as Ford, there is no set price yet as the configurator is not up yet.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
None of my news sources have found any standard ranges as being delivered.

And the Plaid+ were eventually converted to Plaid: the only spec it didn't have was the range. And in that case they got the lower pre-reservation price.

-Crissa
Sponsored