Considering the current dynamics in the steel industry, will the pricing still hold true?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
hard to say really. The price of steel has gone up a lot but even if Tesla passed along 100% of the increased steel price to us, how much would that really be? I think it would be completely fair of Tesla to pass along the cost of steel to us if they end up doing so. It's also possible that maybe Tesla will do the first year of deliveries for the preorder price and then raise the price a bit for anyone after that. Some people might think that's unfair but I don't think Tesla anticipated over a million preorders. That also might be the reason why they stopped talking about the Cybertruck all together, so preorders would slow down. I wouldn't expect Tesla to delivery 4+ years of Cybertrucks for the same price. If they end up honoring all preorders for the price that was given, I would be surprised and amazed.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
hard to say really. The price of steel has gone up a lot but even if Tesla passed along 100% of the increased steel price to us, how much would that really be? I think it would be completely fair of Tesla to pass along the cost of steel to us if they end up doing so. It's also possible that maybe Tesla will do the first year of deliveries for the preorder price and then raise the price a bit for anyone after that. Some people might think that's unfair but I don't think Tesla anticipated over a million preorders. That also might be the reason why they stopped talking about the Cybertruck all together, so preorders would slow down. I wouldn't expect Tesla to delivery 4+ years of Cybertrucks for the same price. If they end up honoring all preorders for the price that was given, I would be surprised and amazed.
Yup, can definitely change. Per the Order Agreement:
" The pre-order price of the Vehicle will be confirmed in your Vehicle Configuration and Final Price Sheet. As you may have only configured part of your Vehicle, any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an estimate and is subject to change "
If I'm reading the rest of it correctly (not quoted) the FSD price IS locked in unless you cancel your preorder--vehicle price is NOT.

Steel is also highly recycleable. If I understand the shortage (I may not!) it's a shortage in manufacturing capability and demand, not so much a shortage of materials (?).

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My CT will be made out of recycled Falcon 9 rockets.
I know you say this in jest, but no Falcon 9s have survived to be recycled so far ^-^; SpaceX says they intend to use them to destruction right now to test their manufacturing techniques.

A Falcon 9 just landed in Florida this week on its 8th flight.

-Crissa

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I know you say this in jest, but no Falcon 9s have survived to be recycled so far ^-^; SpaceX says they intend to use them to destruction right now to test their manufacturing techniques.

A Falcon 9 just landed in Florida this week on its 8th flight.

-Crissa
I‘M hoping when time to retire, some of the recycled material can be used to make some token emblem added to the cabin.

wishful thinking.

InfofKid

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
A lot of orders may be canceled if the price goes any higher.

If Tesla wanted to raise the price, it would have reflected on the website by now.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag