Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land rover
Occupation
Pest control
Country flag
The access to the cab is called a mid gate. It is only a rumor. But I think it is essential.

CT Mid gate.jpg

that picture is awesome look how much room there is and with the tail gate down you could carry very long loads
if it’s not there as standard then I will cut a hole and make a hatch using parts from a yacht
Sponsored

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
that picture is awesome look how much room there is and with the tail gate down you could carry very long loads
if it’s not there as standard then I will cut a hole and make a hatch using parts from a yacht
Now imagine you telescope out the tailgate even further.... :)

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
GnarlyDudeLive Pop top 7-21-21.jpg

More my speed.

Fold down the tailgate and put a zipper door in the back for a proper exit. If there is a midgate it would be a pretty large tent. You could have the pooper in the under vault storage.
If you go with this design you might as well take use of the tail gate down in the horizontal positioned fully telescoped out and perhaps a telescoping top (or perhaps some fiberglass rods) to go with it? This should add another 5'x5' or so of additional 6'+ tall space. This assumes the tailgate telescoped can take the weight. This would be a rather large amount of added space.

A support rod is going to be in order to keep the forward hinge from destroying itself I think in just about any version if you factor in some wind and weight.

Tesla Cybertruck CT Aero-perfect insert camper GnarlyDudeLive Pop top 7-24-21

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Would it be possible to cut a hatch into the bulkhead maybe behind the middle rear seat?
Really need to see the final vehicle. There is a glass panel, but it’s likely at the very least you can remove that panel and replace it with some kind of hatch. But even that is questionable.

The access to the cab is called a mid gate. It is only a rumor. But I think it is essential.
Essential?

I think it would be fantastic. But not essential, and right now I’m planning for it to not be there.
The final vehicle will probably look and work more or less like the prototype. I would love to see the midgate, but so far it’s not part of any plans, prototypes, blueprints, or leaks.

This is the second feature I’d pay for if it was available as an option, right after solar. But until I see a prototype with it, I’m skeptical it’ll be in the final.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I like doing things in often remote places. There are frequently no hotels. I don’t want to sleep in my truck. I want to ride a trail on the far side of Oregon or Washington.

Sleeping in my truck is what I do in order to enjoy that. Right up therewith being strong enough to climb hills on my bike or watching food intake.
well it hose fire up there keep going, there will be no more trails....just ash lanes...it horrible

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Really need to see the final vehicle. There is a glass panel, but it’s likely at the very least you can remove that panel and replace it with some kind of hatch. But even that is questionable.

Essential?

I think it would be fantastic. But not essential, and right now I’m planning for it to not be there.
The final vehicle will probably look and work more or less like the prototype. I would love to see the midgate, but so far it’s not part of any plans, prototypes, blueprints, or leaks.

This is the second feature I’d pay for if it was available as an option, right after solar. But until I see a prototype with it, I’m skeptical it’ll be in the final.
I think it's only 30-40% likely to be available at all, even as an option.
I meant essential to me. If I have to go outside to go from wheel to bed that is a deal breaker - for me.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
well it hose fire up there keep going, there will be no more trails....just ash lanes...it horrible
Out riding today enjoying some of Oregon’s finest lush green trails and I made this exact observation. At the current rate, the whole state will burn at some point in the next 20 years or so. Hopefully more drought resistant trees come up.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Out riding today enjoying some of Oregon’s finest lush green trails and I made this exact observation. At the current rate, the whole state will burn at some point in the next 20 years or so. Hopefully more drought resistant trees come up.
yea....you do get lots of rain....just not during the fires that are burning....sorry.....hope they get control soon or New York, new Jersey will suffocate.....smoke now I=on the east coast

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
If you go with this design you might as well take use of the tail gate down in the horizontal positioned fully telescoped out and perhaps a telescoping top (or perhaps some fiberglass rods) to go with it? This should add another 5'x5' or so of additional 6'+ tall space. This assumes the tailgate telescoped can take the weight. This would be a rather large amount of added space.

A support rod is going to be in order to keep the forward hinge from destroying itself I think in just about any version if you factor in some wind and weight.

GnarlyDudeLive Pop top 7-24-21.jpg
Darin I love your design. Here is a similar one I drew last year using a Colorado Camper van top. I own one on my van. I know the owner of CCV and I think he is game to try something like this. One button. Pro built. Simpler deployment mechanism. Also has stand up height full length plus 3' over the cab. Electric lifting arms at each end. With 110 AC available for the lifter motors the top could deploy/stow in 15 seconds.

Tesla Cybertruck CT Aero-perfect insert camper CT CCV +48%22 up & dow

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
yea....you do get lots of rain....just not during the fires that are burning....sorry.....hope they get control soon or New York, new Jersey will suffocate.....smoke now I=on the east coast
FWIW, the big fire in Oregon is in a part of the state which does *not* get a lot of rain. It is the drier high desert part of the state. We had some pretty insane fires last year that hit some of the lushest parts of the state though. Usually the greener parts of the state don’t have fire problems until August or September. They have been getting a lot worse in the last 5 years though.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
FWIW, the big fire in Oregon is in a part of the state which does *not* get a lot of rain. It is the drier high desert part of the state. We had some pretty insane fires last year that hit some of the lushest parts of the state though. Usually the greener parts of the state don’t have fire problems until August or September. They have been getting a lot worse in the last 5 years though.
well, we hope all works out for people in those areas and the damage can be held to a minimum

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Even the ice plant burns when it's 100F.

-Crissa

Onadorinlooper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land rover
Occupation
Pest control
Country flag
I think it's only 30-40% likely to be available at all, even as an option.
I meant essential to me. If I have to go outside to go from wheel to bed that is a deal breaker - for me.
exactly the same for me, yes essential

for stealth purposes I want to be able to go from bedroom to the cab through the inside

I will find a way to do it even if not standard
Sponsored