CT - All the Important Sounds

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
To avoid very long explanations that is not easy to understand without knowledge in electrical field I give you a definition from Google search:
"The peak power of an amplifier is determined by the voltage rails and the maximum amount of current its electronic components can handle for an instant without damage."
The battery voltage is a factor that defines the voltage rails.
If the voltage is low the current to the speakers is low too.
Are you trying to say ice vehicles can’t have sufficient radio volume because they are limited to 12 volts? Was the first radio with sufficient volume revealed along with the first EV? This isn’t even worth discussing. Give me a break.
Sponsored

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Ok, good!!! Really?!!
So, just to keep things simple, P=VI. Your search is correct but limited. The Power directly depends on the Voltage and Current.
An audio amp is a current source, so the limitation is the current that you can get from your battery/alternator/capacitor. Also the amount of copper/silver/gold/alu (cross section/size) you have in your circuits.
???

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Are you trying to say ice vehicles can’t have sufficient radio volume because they are limited to 12 volts? Was the first radio with sufficient volume revealed along with the first EV? This isn’t even worth discussing. Give me a break.
???

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The real reason is to get higher watts, you need more current, because your needed current is wattage divided by the voltage: 400W/12v=33a

The battery can supply this, but the wires would melt. The wires would have to be massive, so that's why very loud systems usually have independent connections to the battery/alternator.

-Crissa

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Totally agree.

I also would add attention body panel alignment accuracy. With the CT design, sharp convergence points like the front corners of the fenders/hood/fascia, and also the rear upper corners of the tailgate/bed will tend to show any misalignment very easily. Alignment of door pillar hinges as well as door latch catch bars, will also be critical because in the CT design, door alignment also factors into clean appearance and refined body lines. The prototype has a few minor flaws in this area if one looks closely enough, but for a prototype the overall workmanship looks potentially promising. I sometimes wonder if a small chamfer (like ½") at the four sharp corners of convergence might be helpful in hiding or assisting the appearance of panel alignment variances.

But, back to your point, the sound system should be a no brainer since they already have done well in the Model 3 and others. Sound deadening and insulation, and absolutely tight build with no rattles or buzzing is a must, especially since other than tire noise, there will be no other inherent engine or other noises to keep one from immediately noticing any rattles.
I've been buying personal vehicles and reading about them for some 70 years. If body panel alignment was ever mentioned, it was rare and not considered critical. ("When they delivered my new 1953 Chevy I checked all the panels and found that the trunk was misaligned so I sent it back for fixing." Did anybody ever say that?)

Somehow Tesla buyers have been conditioned to demand perfection in an aspect that was never a major issue, and (imho) should not be.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I've been buying personal vehicles and reading about them for some 70 years. If body panel alignment was ever mentioned, it was rare and not considered critical. ("When they delivered my new 1953 Chevy I checked all the panels and found that the trunk was misaligned so I sent it back for fixing." Did anybody ever say that?)

Somehow Tesla buyers have been conditioned to demand perfection in an aspect that was never a major issue, and (imho) should not be.
Yeah. It may be because when first released, Teslas cost about 50% more than the cars they were most similar to. This was mostly due to battery cost, of course.

So instead of competing with Mazda and Toyota, the Model 3 as considered 'near luxury' and competed against Lexus and BMW.

Tesla was just starting out and the 3 was a bare bones car, not a luxury car. But you deal with the market you get, not the market you want.

-Crissa

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

Appreciation of Body panel alignment is certainly not something new with Tesla owners. Since the Japanese cars came to our shores in the late 70s, as well as Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, and BMW, many Americans have noticed the better and more refined appearance of body panels compared to traditional American cars. Just ask Sandy Monroe how many decades he's been noticing this difference. Acting like something is 'not relevant' is still one the biggest fundamental mistakes that legacy OEMs have continued to make. Once someone notices a misaligned or inconsistent body panel, they can not "un-see" it. It is what it is.

If you are one of those few who can ignore those things, with mature selective focus knowing more about the internal substance and appreciation for that - I get that - and respect to you for being one of those few. But for most people, a refined manufacturing technique and visible workmanship are a must - and so when an Audi pulls up next to a Tesla and the body lines are sloppy on one car and not the other, that is a deal breaker for many.

Workmanship and Luxury are two different things. Workmanship, fit, and finish are universal quality metrics of any class car, no matter how high or low the cost. Luxury is but one expensive class of car typically with more amenities, features, and ride comfort - but fit and finish are universal quality metrics in all cars, because it is not really that cost prohibitive to refine, nor does it save any costs if done sloppy, and if noticed too much it will likely will result in reduced sales and tarnishing of the brand. Tesla's in 2017 were an exception because of the sheer performance and driving experience along with low energy costs - but if someone like Hyundai or Honda had produced cars with those same panel gaps that Tesla had in 2017, those cars would have been immediately shunned in favor of Toyotas, Volkswagens, or Audis, etc.

I'm glad Tesla has actually made improvements in this area, as I've watched videos and looked at images since the release of the Model 3, with the front fascia to fenders and hood being a critical gap area, as well as the doors - all of which has improved much since the first released 2017 models.

Because people are paying more for a Tesla up front in many cases, they will also expect refined workmanship for the most part. But with the Cybertruck exoskeleton, Tesla is pioneering a technique with yet another innovation so let's hope the benefits of the exoskeleton include inherent accurate body section alignment and refined visible workmanship.

Last edited: