CT rear bumper is not a bumper

Deleted member 11233

If you're that wrapped around the need for a strong bumper, perhaps you could insert one of these Bully Steps or equivalent in the hitch receiver.
Tesla Cybertruck CT rear bumper is not a bumper bully ste
Sponsored

Deleted member 3316

Why? Most cars and trucks got rid of bumpers that actually did something years ago. Everything now is meant to crush and not protect anything except the driver/passenger area. Metal bumpers weight too much and the only ones using them are using them for an unintended vehicle use. Cops cars put extended roll-cage like bumpers, they don't change the original one.
Ever heard of a roo bar / bull bar?
Tesla Cybertruck CT rear bumper is not a bumper 1629154374655

Last edited by a moderator:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Ahh, no they don’t. That’s not the function...
Yes, it is. Well, one of the functions.

Both are functions of a skid plate. If you use the wrong plastic, or a thin steel, it will bend or catch on the surface or brush you're colliding with which would be bad and not protect the things inside.

-Crissa

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
The hard plastic bumper is attached beneath the truck bed at the tailgate hinge area. I noticed this last night when watching footage of the CT at the Austin construction site.

Tesla Cybertruck CT rear bumper is not a bumper bumper-tailgate

My initial thought was, hmm... thats gotta probably cause some long-term durability issues if you are loading gravel and similar loose material into the bed, especially when opening and closing. My second thought was.. where is the additional tailgate support cable? Some truck tailgates have a cable that attaches the end of the tailgate top to the side walls for added weight support. This tailgate as shown in the prototype has no visible support other than the hinge itself.

I went looking for more detailed actual video of the interior elements and this tiktok was the best view of random interior elements like the door hinges and arm rests/foot area/pedals/etc. Spent some time pausing the vid for the split second it showed different obscure interior elements like that stuff.

Last edited:

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
The hard plastic bumper is attached beneath the truck bed at the tailgate hinge area. I noticed this last night when watching footage of the CT at the Austin construction site.

My initial thought was, hmm... thats gotta probably cause some long-term durability issues if you are loading gravel and similar loose material into the bed, especially when opening and closing. My second thought was.. where is the additional tailgate support cable? Some truck tailgates have a cable that attaches the end of the tailgate top to the side walls for added weight support. This tailgate as shown in the prototype has no visible support other than the hinge itself.
Good eye man.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
BTW, you can also tell from other videos of the CT online that show closeups of the prototype wheel well.. all of the black is hard plastic. In fact, some of the wheel well hard plastic has already started to break off on the front right wheel well. No different than the hard plastic wheel well covers on my Ridgeline that have had pieces break off. Nothing revolutionary about these bumpers.

They are most likely gaining a sense of durability from this prototype and how much abuse it can take.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Also, another thing I just noticed on rewatching that video. The rear brake lights are duplicated on the back side of the sidewalls where the tailgate latches are. This is so when you are riding with tailgate down, you still have brake lights (given the brake lights exist on the tailgate).
Tesla Cybertruck CT rear bumper is not a bumper bumper-tailgate-brakelight

Useful design element to remedy a legal requirement.. although I'm not sure how durable riding around with the tailgate down actually is, given the previous mention of no cable support attaching the tailgate to the side wall... especially given the severly obtuse angle of the tailgate when it is in the down position as seen in this next photo:
Tesla Cybertruck CT rear bumper is not a bumper tailgate-obtuseangle

With a 3500 lbs payload capacity and that tailgate design which hangs lower than 90 degrees, and no additional attempts at supporting the tailgate from over-extending, I would be really concerned about the durability of tailgate if you are constantly loading motorcycles, or someone is loading a heavy pallet into the bed and accidentally puts too much weight on the tailgate.

Not perfect solution, but at least its something additional to prevent the hinge from over-extending:
Tesla Cybertruck CT rear bumper is not a bumper PXL_20210816_231713051

This is the stuff I am more interested in hearing about.. over the endless hypothesizing.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
BTW, you can also tell from other videos of the CT online that show closeups of the prototype wheel well.. all of the black is hard plastic. In fact, some of the wheel well hard plastic has already started to break off on the front right wheel well. No different than the hard plastic wheel well covers on my Ridgeline that have had pieces break off. Nothing revolutionary about these bumpers.

They are most likely gaining a sense of durability from this prototype and how much abuse it can take.
Very likely, goes right along with nothing being painted. It's likely the black strip along the base where a running board would be is plastic too. Maybe covering something else up.

So we have folded sides, snap on plastic fenders, plastic bumpers, and plastic hubcaps.

repoman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Performance S, Plaid X, Cybertruck # less then 100
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Yes, it is. Well, one of the functions.

Both are functions of a skid plate. If you use the wrong plastic, or a thin steel, it will bend or catch on the surface or brush you're colliding with which would be bad and not protect the things inside.

-Crissa
Again, Wrong. Bumpers and skid plates are 2 different things. Plastic on a bumper is fine and I saind nothing about bumpers. Maybe you have never owned a off-road truck. I have attached an image of many SKID PLATES for a good example of what they are. None are plastic, all are metal. If you hit a bolder while off-roading with a plastic skid plate, you are screwed. Thats why they dont use them in plastic form. The Telsa Cybertruck front plastic bumper that extents under the truck is a cover, not a skid plate. It will not be whats on the final version at least the part under the truck. Hope you now understand what a skid plate really is.

Tesla Cybertruck CT rear bumper is not a bumper skid plates.JPG

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Again, Wrong.
Sorry, but you're wrong. Guys like metal because they're guys.

The skid plate on my car is plastic. It's only broken off once. And it was cheap. Tho to be honest, only the pins broke so I wired it up on a harness and the replacement plate is still in my parts box.

Metal and plastic both do different things; hard means harder to puncture, but if you're on a flat plain or gravel, you want to not dig in but slide off.

If you're doing rock climbing, you might want metal because the full weight of the vehicle may come down on the plate. Even so, you might prefer to slide off of rock instead of getting stuck on it.

Just because you personally want a metal skid plate doesn't mean the weight and lower friction aren't useful properties.

-Crissa

PS - only the approach and depart curves are plastic on the prototype; it's steel where the weight of the truck might come down or debris comes up and threaten the battery pack.

repoman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Performance S, Plaid X, Cybertruck # less then 100
Occupation
Software
Country flag

The skid plate on my car is plastic. It's only broken off once. And it was cheap. Tho to be honest, only the pins broke so I wired it up on a harness and the replacement plate is still in my parts box.

Metal and plastic both do different things; hard means harder to puncture, but if you're on a flat plain or gravel, you want to not dig in but slide off.

If you're doing rock climbing, you might want metal because the full weight of the vehicle may come down on the plate. Even so, you might prefer to slide off of rock instead of getting stuck on it.

Just because you personally want a metal skid plate doesn't mean the weight and lower friction aren't useful properties.

-Crissa

PS - only the approach and depart curves are plastic on the prototype; it's steel where the weight of the truck might come down or debris comes up and threaten the battery pack.
Yep, your correct. I should have specified on trucks meant to go off-road. And I guess you really do know what they are. :) Sorry. Really, all cars should have metal skid plates and thick enough to not come off or loose when hitting something. But thin the dealer wouldn't get $700 for a new one when you hit a rabbit. Will be nice when we finally see the final truck.

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
Again, Wrong. Bumpers and skid plates are 2 different things. Plastic on a bumper is fine and I saind nothing about bumpers. Maybe you have never owned a off-road truck. I have attached an image of many SKID PLATES for a good example of what they are. None are plastic, all are metal. If you hit a bolder while off-roading with a plastic skid plate, you are screwed. Thats why they dont use them in plastic form. The Telsa Cybertruck front plastic bumper that extents under the truck is a cover, not a skid plate. It will not be whats on the final version at least the part under the truck. Hope you now understand what a skid plate really is.

skid plates.JPG
I agree that most skid plates on trucks and jeeps are metal, but for SxS the best skid plates are 3/8'' or 1/2'' UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) plastic. It's quieter and more durable thank aluminum. It definitely protects from boulders, etcj as mine has protected my ranger from countless impacts.

Deleted member 3316

-Crissa

The materials choice is going to be an interesting one.

Increasing strength whilst only adding lightness is an exercise in compromise. A Titanium honeycomb with UHMWPE sandwich might give the desirable function qualities but I’d hazard a guess the cost and complexity of manufacture might exclude that from factory option list.

My guess is that Tesla will provide plastic aero covers front and rear.
Aftermarket will produce a litany of off-road accessories to meet the budgets of all.

(and seriously this is all opinion, just because someone has different priorities doesn’t make them wrong.)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Very very early on, a Tesla hit some road debris, the underside of the battery cell was punctured, and the car caught fire. I think the driver was fine, but as a result Tesla recalled the Model S and reinforced the underside to prevent similar punctures. I'm quite certain since then, Teslas have a pretty rock solid underbelly.

Obviously none of us have any idea how tough this extended bumper is or what's directly underneath it. My assumption is that it attaches directly to the single piece rear end (below one is from a Model Y).

Tesla Cybertruck CT rear bumper is not a bumper 1629160604105

If the one on the Cybertruck is similar, there is probably an air pocket between that black bumper/ skid plate/ air dam piece. I could see them putting some ribs/ baffles/ honeycomb in there to stiffen it up in case a rock bounces up.

It's going to be really hard to say how tough this piece is until it gets out in the wild.

2000prerunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
BSer
Country flag
Why? Most cars and trucks got rid of bumpers that actually did something years ago. Everything now is meant to crush and not protect anything except the driver/passenger area. Metal bumpers weight too much and the only ones using them are using them for an unintended vehicle use. Cops cars put extended roll-cage like bumpers, they don't change the original one.
Most new trucks/SUVs/Jeeps come with bumpers designed for pedestrian and crash safety. They are also made for aerodynamic drag , to shield the tires from resistance.

This makes sense for most truck needs. But that is absolute not going to work off road. With my 2018 Tacoma some of the first things I did was remove the front and rear bumpers and add high clearance metal bumpers . I also added rock sliders. This is done out of necessity to prevent body damage / scarping over rocks (usually).

Tesla Cybertruck CT rear bumper is not a bumper Yz_0JZviT3OCGEcFkw7TFPpbVI=w686-h914-no?authuser=0

The advertised departure and break over angles manufactures list can be ignored because you are going to end up modifying it will aftermarket off road bumpers ( if you are at all serious about using the vehicle "off road").

My biggest fear is taking my CT off road for the first time and watching it embarrass itself over easy obstacles. Excited to see. It's certainly going to get the stock "torture test" when I get it :) . Scraping ? Bottoming out over dips? Who knows maybe not?

edit*
now that i think about it .there is nothing to "protect" under there. no oil pan, no radiator, no drive shaft, no T case, no exhaust.. I assume the precious battery pack is very well protected with the stainless steel or titanium (like model 3?)... So in a way it's already one giant ass skid plate right ?! maybe steering rack? also stainless steel body.. why need rock sliders ...it is a rock slider! lol
Sponsored

Last edited: