Cyber Truck, 20 Year classic design or annual/ bi-annual/decade updates..?

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
Auto's like the G-Wagon, for example, held the same basic design for approx. 20 years.
Would you all like to see this Cyber Truck design grandfathered in for about 20 years or would you prefer periodic updates to the design. Speaking mostly of the outer body design.
Sponsored

Yakuza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Datsun
Country flag
Auto's like the G-Wagon, for example, held the same basic design for approx. 20 years.
Would you all like to see this Cyber Truck design grandfathered in for about 20 years or would you prefer periodic updates to the design. Speaking mostly of the outer body design.
Tesla does continuous updates to all their vehicles. But the CT is so iconic I doubt it will change much. 20 years is a long time however

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The basic external shape of the CT looks to me a lot like many of the “future” cars that have been in so many movies and tv shows for the lat 30 to 40 years. The design has been looking futuristic for so long that unless the rest of the auto market updates to the future, I’m guessing the CT will continue to look futuristic for another 30 years no problem.

Unless of course, there end up being so many CTs out and about that all the other cars just start looking like classics. Think of all the cars in Cuba right now.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The very nature of an exoskeleton made of 3mm cold-rolled stainless will preclude huge external design changes. I am sure that the plastic parts, lights, door handles, tailgate, tonneau, and everything inside will change over time. That is, anything but the body.

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
It's gaining such an iconic stature even before it hits the road, I would love for it to stay the same (with modern updates and features inside of course) That way nobody would know if you just purchased it or if you've owned it for 10 years, Legend!

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
If you compare the launch Model S to the currently, they are very similar, sure the nose is different, but most car manufacturers that would be a small refresh, not a total redesign.

The exterior is the same. Sure, things have changed on the inside, the technology, but the bodies have not. I am ok with that.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Cybertruck is a 1957 Chevy. Iconic design. There is only one.

More configurations of Cybertruck could be versioned. BUT Tesla would not change its flagship iconic design. It would design a new truck and badge it accordingly. It would purposely be designed as an entirely different vehicle even though it may share platform, motors, components and materials. It could follow CT design cues. BUT a Cybertruck is a one of a kind manufacturer‘s design concept. It is the highest embodiment of its values, engineering and vision for the marque.

Reactions: CTM

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Cybertruck is a 1957 Chevy. Iconic design. There is only one.

More configurations of Cybertruck could be versioned. BUT Tesla would not change its flagship iconic design. It would design a new truck and badge it accordingly. It would purposely be designed as an entirely different vehicle even though it may share platform, motors, components and materials. It could follow CT design cues. BUT a Cybertruck is a one of a kind manufacturer‘s design concept. It is the highest embodiment of its values, engineering and vision for the marque.
I'm thinking/hoping it's more like a Porsche 911. Why mess with perfection.
Sponsored