Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model X, AWD CT
Occupation
President of the Anonymous of the Anonymous Club
Country flag
Also looking forward to hearing how this works out. Nice idea.
Sponsored

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I was inspired by @puchanix's bed screen cover, but wanted more breathing room...and leg room. These pics are missing the velcro connections, but will give you the idea. I have toyed with the idea of using piano hinges to fold it up and hold it all together but am starting with the easier assembly.

My local screen company put it together for $100 saving me $2,875 over the CyberTent. I will be testing it out this weekend and will share my thoughts.

IMG_4049.jpeg

IMG_4046 (1).jpeg

IMG_4052.jpeg
Bear Buffet Box 😅

OP
OP
kpett

kpett

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck AWD, Model Y Performance
Occupation
STEM Teacher
Country flag
Despite overwhelming concern for my wellbeing, the screen setup worked well and I did not end up a bear snack. I slept well and did not feel claustrophobic. I had plenty of room including open space at my head for water and electronics.

Night 1: I put the truck into Cybertent mode to level it out but couldn't close the cover in that mode. Makes sense to lock it when Tesla is expecting their tent to be in the way, but it was disappointing. I had hoped to use the leveling feature. Despite the setback I put the screen up and slid the top piece into the retracted cover's track. I joined the already existing camp fire and put away too many IPAs. I entered by stepping on the wheel and climbing into the open bed. I closed the cover with the app. The temperatures were in the low 30s, but the Exped mat and a flannel sleeping bag kept me fairly warm.

Night 2: I stored the screen with my empty totes which kept it out of the way. I put it back up at night but this time pulled it up while I was already inside the bed. I put it on top of the tonneau cover rather than inside the track. It worked well and despite being warmer, the outside of the bed was covered with frost in the morning. I was glad I added a second blanket.

Takeaways:
1: The velcro worked well to hold it together and keep the edges bug free.
2: Entry was tougher than I would like as climbing in over the wheel isn't for everyone and pulling it up from the ground while in the bed made it tough to slide into the track.

To improve it, I have two options.
1: Cut the top screen into a smaller section that doesn't go into the tonneau track. This would make it free floating but it didn't seem to be a problem on night two as the sides are held in by the tailgate. With this option you are still left with climbing in over the wheel or pulling the screen up the ground or dropping it down off the closed cover.
2: Cut the top screen and turn it into two sections. The first part would fit into the tonneau track and would attach to the rest of the screened area using piano hinges. This solution give it more rigidity by locking it in the track and the ability to hinge it open to make crawling into bed from the tailgate an option.

I will post measurements for anyone looking to build one on your own.

Krayboticus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, 2017 Tesla Model S 75D
Country flag
Great idea. Thank you for sharing. Looks pretty slick with the tonneau cover retracted a bit so that the screen setup fits on the tailgate. Nice work.
Sponsored