Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Since the late 1950's, float glass has been the only way to produce glass if you are aiming for lowest cost in mass production. Float glass is nearly perfectly flat, and it's production speed means the cost is less than half of other methods to produce a windshield, or any other sheet glass.

Tesla's armor glass should be far more resilient than other glass, but will not be completely "bulletproof". There will be times it needs to be replaced. I figured that even though it is of a higher quality than other windshields, CYBRTRK glass may be of a comparable cost to replace, because the flatness makes it easy and cheap to manufacture.
If they curve it, that will make it way, way more expensive than other windshields. It is gigantic, too.

Availability is a factor as well. If it "almost never" breaks.... when you do need one, nobody has one in stock, and you end up waiting weeks to get one, while paying extra.

But this patent produces glass that is curved in small radii at the edges? Is the process similar to blowing glass into a mold like making a bottle? Or dropping hot flat sheets into a mold that only curves the edges? Maybe a robot comes in and bends the corners? Not really understanding exactly what is going on here.
/me goes to read the full patent.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Since the late 1950's, float glass has been the only way to produce glass if you are aiming for lowest cost in mass production. Float glass is nearly perfectly flat, and it's production speed means the cost is less than half of other methods to produce a windshield, or any other sheet glass.

Tesla's armor glass should be far more resilient than other glass, but will not be completely "bulletproof". There will be times it needs to be replaced. I figured that even though it is of a higher quality than other windshields, CYBRTRK glass may be of a comparable cost to replace, because the flatness makes it easy and cheap to manufacture.
If they curve it, that will make it way, way more expensive than other windshields. It is gigantic, too.

Availability is a factor as well. If it "almost never" breaks.... when you do need one, nobody has one in stock, and you end up waiting weeks to get one, while paying extra.

But this patent produces glass that is curved in small radii at the edges? Is the process similar to blowing glass into a mold like making a bottle? Or dropping hot flat sheets into a mold that only curves the edges? Maybe a robot comes in and bends the corners? Not really understanding exactly what is going on here.
/me goes to read the full patent.
I would imagine it's similar to bottle making, or similar to the ct frame die casting/gigapress, but with glass. Would probably be easier for maintenance when both processes use essentially the same technique in different material. That seems like a Tesla style factory optimization.

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
I was already expecting this type of windshield, but the dash! I think glass will look and feel much better than the paper and no worries about it getting wet…

myco.rrhizae

First Name
Myco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4.9L, Chevy Volt, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
this shines a bit of light on the question about the differences between the original teaser pics and the prototype and how the sort of faceted hood in the teasers would interact with a flat windshield or if the windshield was also faceted st that point in the design

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck’s updated origami-style windshield and glass dashboard teased in patent tesla-pickup-teaser-01

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck’s updated origami-style windshield and glass dashboard teased in patent cyber3

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Interesting!! I wonder if it could mean for the A-pillars that the glass will be curved at 606A and 606B to also help with increasing visibility by reducing the non-visible thickness of those sections. Increasing visibility was an objective Elon mentioned on the Leno episode.
The patent portends micro-mini nano-LED type embedded layers that not only simulate funtioning dash elements but add transparency and depth capabilities beyond analog limitations. It increases information planes and axiis.

What does that mean? Cameras can now provide visuals to enable human wet meat to see thru A-pilars to display in full resolution, depth and transparency what would otherwise be a blindspot. That’s so rich!

Raebrek

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Highlander, 2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Solar dash?

Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tachoma, Jeeps
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag
Perhaps the edge folds gives the center more strength, just as a slight curve in any windshield does. This might make it vibrate less in high speed driving with wind hitting it. Also I think it might do better in a crash test.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
I came across someone else‘s guess that it could be used for the side view screen in place of the outside mirrors.

Po’town

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT reserved
Occupation
School Counselor/
Country flag
Could that curve be used to display what would have been on the side view mirrors?

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Why not fold the glass in such a way that it provides a useful mirror with a mirror coating, no electronic display needed.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Why not fold the glass in such a way that it provides a useful mirror with a mirror coating, no electronic display needed.
You can't have an effective mirror inside the cab of the truck, it needs to stick out further than the side of the truck.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I've seen video taken inside a nascar race car, and there's a curved mirror all the way across the roof.
Sponsored