Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
You can't have an effective mirror inside the cab of the truck, it needs to stick out further than the side of the truck.
The inside mirror would have to be a greatly exaggerated convex instead of concave, which the curvature of the glass to fit the profile of the truck wouldn't produce.

Then you're left with a warning on the mirror that says the objects in the mirror are way way closer than they appear!
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You can curve it all you want, a mirror can't see around a corner.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
You can curve it all you want, a mirror can't see around a corner.
Side view mirror goal is not to see straight behind like a rear view mirror, but like a cone of vision diagonally out to the side in the rear direction. Totally possibly to curve a mirror from inside the car to see outside in that intended cone of vision. Fisheye lenses do this as an intended feature. My point was that it's not the best option for a side view mirror because the picture you get from that severe wide angle view is too distorted to accurately represent object distances in a useful way for driving.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck’s updated origami-style windshield and glass dashboard teased in patent 114239_2F2016-05-12-103149-Chrome+Sphere+Final

Place a cylindrical mirror in the glass window pillar and you could get a view of that cone of vision, but it would be a really crappy view. Not one that i would want!

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Side view mirror goal is not to see straight behind like a rear view mirror, but like a cone of vision diagonally out to the side in the rear direction.
The Cybertruck already has utterly monstrous blind spots due to the sail pillars and the fact that the truck bed is so much higher compared to the driver position. If you added curved inside rear view mirrors you not only can't see more than a postage stamp out the rear view mirror, you are not limited to seeing cars which are actually adjacent to your rear quarter panel. If your bed cover is close, you might as well just close your eyes, put the turn signal on, and move over.

That isn't even touching the fact that you are ignoring the other purpose of side view mirrors. Parking. If you can't adjust the rear view mirror to see somewhat close to your rear tire, how do you parallel park?

Most of this just emphasizes one of the fundamental soft spots in the Cybertruck. Those cameras are absolutely necessary for the driver to get a proper idea of what's around them.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
The Cybertruck already has utterly monstrous blind spots due to the sail pillars and the fact that the truck bed is so much higher compared to the driver position. If you added curved inside rear view mirrors you not only can't see more than a postage stamp out the rear view mirror, you are not limited to seeing cars which are actually adjacent to your rear quarter panel. If your bed cover is close, you might as well just close your eyes, put the turn signal on, and move over.

That isn't even touching the fact that you are ignoring the other purpose of side view mirrors. Parking. If you can't adjust the rear view mirror to see somewhat close to your rear tire, how do you parallel park?

Most of this just emphasizes one of the fundamental soft spots in the Cybertruck. Those cameras are absolutely necessary for the driver to get a proper idea of what's around them.
To be clear.. I'm playing devil's advocate here because it's technically a possibility. But i think it would be a terrible idea. I agree with you about the shortcomings of it.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
To be clear.. I'm playing devil's advocate here because it's technically a possibility. But i think it would be a terrible idea. I agree with you about the shortcomings of it.
I'd be ok with it one way.

If they put them in for legal reasons as a way to backdoor getting cameras into the truck.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Side view mirror goal is not to see straight behind like a rear view mirror, but like a cone of vision diagonally out to the side in the rear direction. Totally possibly to curve a mirror from inside the car to see outside in that intended cone of vision. Fisheye lenses do this as an intended feature. My point was that it's not the best option for a side view mirror because the picture you get from that severe wide angle view is too distorted to accurately represent object distances in a useful way for driving.

114239_2F2016-05-12-103149-Chrome+Sphere+Final.jpg

Place a cylindrical mirror in the glass window pillar and you could get a view of that cone of vision, but it would be a really crappy view. Not one that i would want!
Eight cameras provide 360* FOV. AI is capable of directly mapping a scene to scale for display. OR indirectly pinning markers to audible warn wet meat of vehicle conflicts in movement on display.

My mechanistic brain prefers indirect referential relations rather than direct “trust me” maps. I’ve gotten used to “objects in mirror are closer than they appear”. No map = 1:1.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If there's any load behind the CT, the mirrors are going to have to be at least as wide as the load. Fancy cameras will only satisfy a CT with no load, minimally. Cameras on the back of the front wheel well won't see past the rear wheel well intrusion.
There's cameras on the back of the truck.

-Crissa